The PlayStation 5 Is Way Too Big

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
playstation-5-console-logo-close-up-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

Taiwan’s National Communications Commission (NCC) has released a PDF document that contains new photos of Sony’s next-generation console, the PlayStation 5. While its exact dimensions are no longer a secret (the official specification sheet lists a size of approximately 390 mm x 104 mm x 260 mm), the images do a decent job of illustrating just how ridiculously massive it is.

Check out the images below and let us know what you think. Prospective owners will definitely want to double check their entertainment centers, as the PS5 is going to hog up a lot of space. We’re also guessing that the vertical orientation will be very popular (look at how unsightly it is when laid flat).

NCC PlayStation 5 Measurements...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, it's not the size of the console that bothers me - it's how damned ugly it is.

It looks like something... gummy got stepped on.

I dunno, not a huge fan especially compared to Sony's previous designs (PS2 Slim probably being my fave). Hoping the inevitable PS5 Slim is easier on the eyes.

The original PS3 was also massive if I remember correctly, and quite bad looking, it reminded me of early 80s VCRs. I didn't particularly like the PS2 Slim either, but it was small.
My favorite design wise is the PS4, both the original and the PRO.

This as many have said before looks like one of those flashy wifi "gaming" routers. I absolutely hate it. Good thing I probably won't have a good reason to buy one until the PS5 Pro comes around.

The original Xbox still has it beat.
  1. Xbox (13,281,267 mm³)
  2. PlayStation 5 (10,545,600 mm³)
  3. PlayStation 3 (8,726,900 mm³)

Maybe the cost reduced version will look different. If not, we will see a whole new trend on the net for PS5 modding. At least maybe some external paint jobs...

Maybe the cost reduced version will look different. If not, we will see a whole new trend on the net for PS5 modding. At least maybe some external paint jobs...
I've already thought about painting the shell black, myself. I can't stand the white.

I dont mind unique designs one bit, as long as they fit in to their surroundings.

I think the sensible approach to entertainment appliances is to make them not stand out.
Color choices are nice too.

The centerpiece approach has limited appeal.

I dislike unique designs for most anything tech related that belongs in, on or near my entertainment center. Only so much "ground" you have to work with meaning stacking of components may be necessary. Not sure how well you'll be able to stack anything on top of the PS5. Granted it can be placed on something that's already more box/flat like. Still, eventually, you'll run out of that ability.

Not a fan of white - it’s going to look like trash once it’s covered in dust and dog hair....

I don’t really mind the size or the shape. If it were black matte no one would even really care though.

Not a fan of white - it’s going to look like trash once it’s covered in dust and dog hair....

I don’t really mind the size or the shape. If it were black matte no one would even really care though.

Yeah, I dislike the white also, but it's not as bad as some of the console colors Nintendo has released in the past. lol

Yeah, I dislike the white also, but it's not as bad as some of the console colors Nintendo has released in the past. lol
I don't know what you mean. The little purple cube is still my favorite console. Everything else they have made has been gray, white, or black. The revised Gamecube that had the digital A/V output removed was silver then black. Making the original DS Lite white was certainly not a good idea, though. A handheld console should never be in a color that attracts the most dirt and discoloration.

Become a Patron!
Back