GeForce RTX 3080 FE Crysis Remastered Performance

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner.png

Introduction

Something we never thought would actually happen, Crysis has been Remastered.  By now we would have hoped for a Crysis 4 release, but instead, we are going old school with a remastered version of the original Crysis which debuted in 2007 developed by Crytek.  Well, we say original, but actually the Remastered version is missing one level the original PC version had in 2007, the chapter called Ascension is completely gone from the game.  Therefore, you are actually getting one whole chapter less out of the Remastered version compared to the original Crysis release. 

Of course, Crysis, the original, is iconic in gaming and is a classic first person shooter.  It’s one of those video games that you must play in your lifetime, and if you were around when it debuted you are familiar with the meme: Can it run Crysis?  It was, and we cannot emphasize this enough, a visual masterpiece.  It...

Continue reading...

Man, that's disappointing. I never played the original and I was hoping this would be worthwhile on 30XX/Big Navi.

Thanks, @Brent_Justice for all your hard work in researching this. At this point, at least until, if, Crytek puts updates out to perhaps improve it, I recommend to people wanting the best version of the original to go to gog.com. While reading the review thread there I came across a post stating it is the 64-bit version and @Armenius , who has the original physical copy of the game w/ 64-bit executable, went there are bought it as well. It's now been verified to be true. I'm thinking of doing the same soon.

This 'Remastered' version might be as unoptimized as the original...

The only real extra draw here is the 'Can it run Crysis?' meme tie-in, but since they didn't port it to a version of CryEngine that supports DX12 or Vulkan, among other features like proper multithreading support, it really seems to fail on that front.

Had they ported it to a 'modern' engine, it could have been a knockout.

Thanks, @Brent_Justice for all your hard work in researching this. At this point, at least until, if, Crytek puts updates out to perhaps improve it, I recommend to people wanting the best version of the original to go to gog.com. While reading the review thread there I came across a post stating it is the 64-bit version and @Armenius , who has the original physical copy of the game w/ 64-bit executable, went there are bought it as well. It's now been verified to be true. I'm thinking of doing the same soon.
GOG is definitely the best place to buy the game.

GOG is definitely the best place to buy the game.
At this point, at least until, if, Crytek puts updates out to perhaps improve it, I recommend to people wanting the best version of the original to go to gog.com. While reading the review thread there I came across a post stating it is the 64-bit version and @Armenius , who has the original physical copy of the game w/ 64-bit executable, went there are bought it as well. It's now been verified to be true. I'm thinking of doing the same soon.
Yeah I was gonna say, grab dat shiznit on GOG. I managed to grab it and Crysis Warhead for $5 each on GOG back in 2017, and yeah they both come with the 64-bit exes.

Between Brent's review and the DF review, it is extremely clear this "remaster" is a nice big hearty bowl of feces.

it and Crysis Warhead
Years ago I cobbled together the 64-bit executable for Warhead into the original 32-bit version. That one was pretty easy to find. Seems Crytek fully committed with Warhead. That project sort of worked(deleted 32-bit folder and replaced w/ Warhead's). The only problem was that it was a bit crash-happy. It was funny seeing the Warhead menu but they must've coded both the same way because it knew how to load all assets/levels.

Well went ahead and got it from GOG last night. Should've done it a long time ago. Only had a few minutes to tinker but saw it support 32:9 5120x1440 from the start(although I had select the res a couple of times before it stuck during the first start-up). The game just worked at a solid 60 fps with my 2080 Ti hanging around 70-80%. Granted I didn't really go beyond the beach but that's still night and day compared to this remaster. The remaster can look better but the play experience is garbage by comparison.

There are rumblings around the net that DLSS is coming in a patch soon.

Years ago I cobbled together the 64-bit executable for Warhead into the original 32-bit version. That one was pretty easy to find. Seems Crytek fully committed with Warhead. That project sort of worked(deleted 32-bit folder and replaced w/ Warhead's). The only problem was that it was a bit crash-happy. It was funny seeing the Warhead menu but they must've coded both the same way because it knew how to load all assets/levels.

Well went ahead and got it from GOG last night. Should've done it a long time ago. Only had a few minutes to tinker but saw it support 32:9 5120x1440 from the start(although I had select the res a couple of times before it stuck during the first start-up). The game just worked at a solid 60 fps with my 2080 Ti hanging around 70-80%. Granted I didn't really go beyond the beach but that's still night and day compared to this remaster. The remaster can look better but the play experience is garbage by comparison.

There are rumblings around the net that DLSS is coming in a patch soon.
Note that it still has the issue of picking the lowest or first refresh rate listed for your monitor. My usual trick of setting preferred refresh rate in the NVIDIA control panel didn't work this time around, so I was stuck at 24 Hz. Unfortunately I already forgot what I did to fix it this time...

There has been a recent update to this.

Brent,

Running Crysis Remastered at 4K, starting with the highest quality preset to the lowest while staying in the game, Mission 2 Recovery. Using 16gb Vega FE. When going from the higher preset quality setting to the lower ones, the vram allocation went down each time, in other words the game is not automatically allocating the vram capacity of the video card but appears to be what the game needs.
  • "Can It Run Crysis?" took 13gb at 4K, very consistent in the level
  • "Very High" took 11.2gb at 4K, very consistent
  • "High" took 6.7gb
  • "Med" took 4.8gb, this turns off raytracing
  • "Low" took 4.4gb, also has no raytracing
The 3080 would not have enough vram at 4K with "Very High" or Can It "Run Crysis?" - I Would expect stalls, stutters at points in the game and would not be smooth.

Raytracing is doing more than just reflections, it does bounce as in GI for color as well as shadows, indoor scenes can be greatly improved in IQ. Digital Foundry did a rundown of raytracing and settings to get 60fps. The presets are really unbalanced, you can get some good IQ and fps with settings. You can run a number of the settings at "Can It Do Crysis?" while others best be on high or even medium.

There has been a recent update to this.

Brent,

Running Crysis Remastered at 4K, starting with the highest quality preset to the lowest while staying in the game, Mission 2 Recovery. Using 16gb Vega FE. When going from the higher preset quality setting to the lower ones, the vram allocation went down each time, in other words the game is not automatically allocating the vram capacity of the video card but appears to be what the game needs.
  • "Can It Run Crysis?" took 13gb at 4K, very consistent in the level
  • "Very High" took 11.2gb at 4K, very consistent
  • "High" took 6.7gb
  • "Med" took 4.8gb, this turns off raytracing
  • "Low" took 4.4gb, also has no raytracing
The 3080 would not have enough vram at 4K with "Very High" or Can It "Run Crysis?" - I Would expect stalls, stutters at points in the game and would not be smooth.

Raytracing is doing more than just reflections, it does bounce as in GI for color as well as shadows, indoor scenes can be greatly improved in IQ. Digital Foundry did a rundown of raytracing and settings to get 60fps. The presets are really unbalanced, you can get some good IQ and fps with settings. You can run a number of the settings at "Can It Do Crysis?" while others best be on high or even medium.
I'm not sure when Brent will be revisiting this to do an update for the performance review but I'm sure he will. I'd expect though, it might be after one, or more, updates to the game. There have been rumors they are planning to patch in DLSS as well. I did finish my playthrough of it this weekend, after this update, and noticed significant performance improvements. I'd say the game is mostly playable at this point, at least with a 2080 Ti @ 5120x1440. VRAM usage is a bit insane. It'll interesting to see how much it thinks it needs when I'm able to get a hold of a 3090. I witnessed it hammering 11 GB using settings at high or above. The game still needs work but, for me at least, it seemed to play much better than at launch. I was even able to use ray tracing at the performance level with 58-80 fps. If I lowered some other settings a little I could even crank it up one more level.

Become a Patron!
Back