GIGABYTE: POSCAP Capacitors Not to Blame for GeForce RTX 3080 Crashes

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3080-gaming-oc-10g-gpu-box-1024x577.jpg
Image: GIGABYTE

GIGABYTE has released an official statement regarding the GeForce RTX 3080 controversy. According to the manufacturer, the crashes cannot be blamed on a specific type of capacitor (i.e., POSCAPs) because there are so many variables that determine how a GPU functions. The company stated that POSCAPs are not any worse than MLCC capacitors; they each have their particular uses.

GIGABYTE goes on to confirm that their GeForce RTX 3080/3090 GAMING OC and EAGLE OC graphics cards are free of defects. These GPUs utilize low-ESR 470uF SP-CAP capacitors, which pass NVIDIA’s specifications.

Here’s the statement in full:

“In response to the recent reports speculating that the use of POSCAP capacitors on the GeForce RTX 3080/3090 graphics cards could lead to...

Continue reading...

Guess my next card won't be a gigabyte. Did I swallow the wrong coolaid?

I'm rocking a GIGABYTE RTX 2080 Ti Aorus Xtreme 11G. It's a simply amazing card. However, I'm not enthralled by GIGABYTE's RTX 3090 designs so far.
Aesthetically,. neither am I. I would love to see a white version of the 3090 like they're making for the 3080.

Performance-wise, their cards are usually at the top of the pack with ASUS, and it looks like that continues with this gen looking at reviews.

Gigabyte left a bad taste in my mouth on their GPUs a few years ago. I had a few 980Ti Windforce GPUs and all of them, 3 total I think (might have been 4) experienced issues with the fans failing. Granted Gigabyte did replace them when I RMA'd them, it was still a hassle and cost me some downtime on the work I was doing with the cards. I also had about half a dozen or so EVGA Hybrid 980Ti cards and they lasted without issue the whole time I had them.

Out of the cards I've owned over the years, the biggest problem was with MSI cards. The one I use in motherboard reviews had to have its thermal paste reapplied. I also own a 980 Ti that's toast. They RMA'ed it once and sent it back saying nothing was wrong with it. To make matters worse, they actually damaged the card. It's heat sink fins weren't bent to **** when I sent it in.

I'm rocking a GIGABYTE RTX 2080 Ti Aorus Xtreme 11G. It's a simply amazing card. However, I'm not enthralled by GIGABYTE's RTX 3090 designs so far.

Using the same card here, and it's been rock solid, but I'm not impressed with their new card designs. Waiting on a EVGA card this time around.

I like their Aorus cards. They're built quite well. I'll be snagging a Aorus 3080 once a waterblock becomes available.

That's just it. I don't think we've seen ultra-high end AIB cards yet. Aorus, STRIX, and Twin FROZR cards aren't out yet.

That's fine with me. I'm in no rush to drop a G note to replace my 1080Ti.

I'm chomping at the bit to replace my RTX 2080 Ti, but it looks like I'll be waiting awhile due to lack of availability on 3090's and 3080's.
Me too. I'm gunning for the Strix and even though it'll be higher priced I still have my doubts that'll deter enough people to make it easier to get.

I'm just waiting for the markets to normalize and to see what AMD brings to to the party for my price point.
Pretty sure that also has a part in NV recent delay announcement for the 3070. Sure they claim because of supply issues but sure is interesting how its supposed to launch the day after AMD's announcement. That and Jensen has been known to change launch prices after such events.

Become a Patron!
Back