GIGABYTE Threatened After Botching AORUS GeForce RTX 3080 MASTER 10G Launch: Sells Out at Newegg within Minutes

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
gigabyte-aorus-geforce-rtx-3080-master-10gb-gpu-box-1024x576.jpg
Image: GIGABYTE

Can the GeForce RTX 3080 launch get any worse? GIGABYTE and Newegg have proven that it definitely can.

Users on r/NVIDIA have been fuming and expressing their frustration after missing out on the manufacturer’s highly anticipated AORUS GeForce RTX 3080 MASTER 10G model, which managed to sell out in less than 10 minutes after going live on Newegg.

What happened is that a community manager posted an early link so prospective buyers could try getting one the second the GPU went live (October 2, 6:00 p.m. PST), but when the floodgates opened, the link turned out to be a dud. A working link was later posted, but by then, all of the AORUS GeForce RTX 3080 MASTER 10G cards were gone.

“Sorry guys this was a mess of a launch with a lot of last minute poor...

Continue reading...

Yeah, I guess news is a bunch of entitled children acting like a 3 year old throwing a tantrum now...
This isn't even news worthy, why write a story about something that happens all the time daily with any product out there....?

This article is missing a lot. 1) The cards were sold out 18min before they were supposed to go live and before the ACTUAL link was ever released. 2) People had been telling Brian for days leading up to and all day of the release. 3) Despite being warned, Brian never reached out to NE. 4) NE did end up canceling most of the initial orders and re-added them individually over the next couple hours. 5) The steps taken to stop or slow the bots have actually made it harder for actual humans to compete.

Haven't such items always been hard to attain? No. Even during the crypto-boom, you could find the specific card you wanted over a few days. Many companies took steps to fight such massive attempts to scalp items. These steps haven't been improved in the years since initial implementation.

Could you imagine if a company only released 36 units of a highly sought after item in any other industry? Major e-tailers are only getting as many units for sale as individual brick and mortar stores, yet sell them nationally and even internationally. Sadly, most people don't live within a couple hour drive of a MicroCenter.

Something else, far more people are looking to build a gaming pc this year bc of the stimulous checks and extra $600 a week for unemployment. On the other end of that, high grade pc parts are being scalped like never before.

There are ways to resolve the issue. ACTUALLY allow full preorders w/o limiting total quantity while limiting individuals to 1. You then cross-check personal info and cancel the orders of those trying to bypass the system. Then do a full release for everyone at a later date when the orders can be filled.

You could implement an actual interactive store where you have to interact w/ someone who verifies your localation and identity as well as that you haven't already purchased the item from them.

There are plenty of viable options. Using a raffle system and allowing people to order their desired card, even if it has yet to release, would likely be the most fair. You're given a specific code, you fill out an order form for the officially announced card of your choice and you receive it based on the order drawn. That way, even the bots and scalpers that bypass the system are little if any more likely to get their card earlier than you.

If you don’t understand the frustration people are feeling about this launch than perhaps you know too little about the subject to have an educated opinion.
1) the customer outreach has been downright dreadful from gigabyte since the “launch” of the gpu series. I say launch in parentheses because while they had a launch event that lasted over an hour they a) did not launch the card b) did not give a date or time of the launch of the card and c) Did not even specify a price let alone roadmap of future 30 series releases. They have flagrantly ignored their entire customer fan base and the little bit of information they have given has been either incorrect or CYA statements like the one about their use of cheap capacitors. of course the singular amount of information given to the consumers that turns out to be wrong would lead to a backlash.

2) If your opinion is that every major release is the same with new products being sold out quickly after launch so this isn’t a big deal, you need to be educated in the relatively modern technology that is scalper bots programmed by scalpers to buy every single released gpu within milliseconds of launch, effectively tying up any retailer with bot purchase submissions leading to the “not yet available” to the “sold out” options in a single refresh of the page. The fact of the matter is that even though the PS5, XBox, and Nvidia 3000 series launches were identical In the face of these scalper bots the Gigabyte launch was delayed and still did nothing to protect the actual consumers from missing out on an opportunity to buy the merchandise. While this may seem foreign to you it’s not hard to understand that if for example you went to the store and planned on buying milk and the store opened at 8am and you were the first in line and when you got to the register not only was the milk not available but it was sold out, worldwide, within seconds, and you won’t be able to get your milk for months until it had been restocked. Or alternatively you could buy from the scalpers for an extra $300-$5000.

This is not saying that I condone the vitriol that has come from this mistake but it is entirely Gigabytes fault in regards to the awful way they communicate with their customers.

I don't think there's much to be "educated" about.
It's pretty obvious the supply, for whatever reason, of these items is tight.
The demand is high. It may be inflated, but "we" in the US of A are not the only customers.
The sad part is the scalpers, but that's just plain old fashioned greed. If you give into it, that's your problem.
The frustration is obvious and overflowing; but is simply a Black Friday mentality.
The products will become available in due time, people are just impatient and somewhat feeling entitled for whatever reason.
It's happened before. History tells you, you just have to wait a couple months.
GPUs are not the only items in short supply right now.
Take a look at guns and ammunition. Talk about a bleek inventory. The scalping there is likewise unbelievable.
I'm just glad were not talking about food,water and heating fuel.

The question I have is Nvidia or the AIB's the reason for shortage? Are the AIB's sitting on hundreds of thousands of GPU's and simply not producing enough cards? Or is Nvidia not supplying enough GPU's for the AIB's to make cards out of?

Whats crazy is the comments have better content and writing than the article. This website sucks. Can't want to ban this website from my feed.

Whats crazy is the comments have better content and writing than the article. This website sucks. Can't want to ban this website from my feed.
The only interesting part about this post is that someone who feels this way actually took the time to not only post this, but to create an account just to post this.

I do wish they had gotten more inventory though. They had no real reason to rush this launch so hard.
Still I agree its to be expected when looking at the history of recent launches.

That was a news piece about current tech. Because you don't like the context of what was posted doesn't make it bad.

I do wish they had gotten more inventory though. They had no real reason to rush this launch so hard.
Still I agree its to be expected when looking at the history of recent launches.
I think they had every reason to rush this release.

In looking back at nVidia's history, my opinion is that nearly everything they do is not so much for direct profit margin (although that certainly does weigh into it), but rather for stock price. A lot of their announcements, press releases, product lineups, acquisitions, etc: you go back and look, and a lot of it doesn't really make sense on the surface, but you dig a bit deeper, and it's all out there to impress Wall Street.

If Wall Street is impressed, your stock value goes up, and that means your a more valuable company - if only on paper. High stock price gives you more net worth with which you can leverage working capital. For executives and others, it means huge return on stock options.

Now, Wall Street won't be very impressed if you turn out losses quarter after quarter (although that doesn't necessarily mean you can't still have a rising stock, after all, Amazon and Tesla both have long histories of running at a loss but having rising stock values). But they are very impressed with "Product releases that exceed all levels of imagination in demand!!!!", and in beating out the competition to market (Navi2 and Xe), in continuing to have the market's highest performance option by a landslide (3090), and in blocking off a competing market product (consoles).

Doesn't matter if they only made and sold 15 3080's and 3090's... the marketing spin they put on it will look like gold to shareholders and Wall Street, and the stock value will get rewarded an order of magnitude greater than any profit margin they are missing out on because of low production. At least until the quarterly financial report comes out - then if the sales quantities and profit margin doesn't look like it will offset the R&D effort, they will get spanked, but that's a problem for another date, and nVidia historically hasn't put themselves in that position.

This may not be a paper launch, but certainly its a premature launch at best. Nvidia probably should have launched by November, but they shat their pants because AMD. Hasn't been a smart move so far, but it will affect them little.

I'm assuming some/most on their inventory is in containers on a boat and will arrive at some point, for now they seem to be flying some smaller quantities via air to give people the idea there is always stock incoming.

I'm also guessing that they don't seem to be willing to do that for Europe as so far I have not seen a webshop that has the cards out of stock even, they are still all on order, preorder, coming soon or not even listed.

I bought alot of cards last 6 years. Not this hard. Not this fast. I bought these cards on launch day online or pre order. Never had this problem. Gtx 980 980ti 1080 1080ti 1070 1070ti. RTX 2080 2080ti. The 1070s and 1080's were during bit mine. I paid alot for those on Amazon and newegg. I have not seen this zero available before so fast. This is new problem.

I do believe that the 'rush' to launch was part of their anniversary spin. Hard to fault them with that really, cause you'd just as easily fault them if they didn't have something big.

I bought alot of cards last 6 years. Not this hard. Not this fast. I bought these cards on launch day online or pre order. Never had this problem. Gtx 980 980ti 1080 1080ti 1070 1070ti. RTX 2080 2080ti. The 1070s and 1080's were during bit mine. I paid alot for those on Amazon and newegg. I have not seen this zero available before so fast. This is new problem.
I bought my 1080Ti in a similar market, somehow getting it for MSRP even with an AIO. Still don't know how that happened, and it's still running great.

So to add two points to yours: most of the coin craze was focused on AMD GPUs, so while there was spillover, it wasn't as big of a deal, and at the same time, there's simply a lot of demand from folks that skipped the 2000-series. That demand is direct demand from customers, but also indirect demand from scalpers.

While stock may actually have been lower than average, I don't think that was the main cause.
I'm also guessing that they don't seem to be willing to do that for Europe as so far I have not seen a webshop that has the cards out of stock even, they are still all on order, preorder, coming soon or not even listed.
While I'm sure that retail practices differ among regions, there's probably also some basic economics involved, i.e. stuff in Europe costs more and individuals have less disposable income, on average. Not that that really squares with there being no stock, so it's probably mostly the former.

Of course at this point I'd almost like the AIBs themselves to put stuff up on Amazon and simply charge you appropriate shipping. Free if you're willing to wait for the container ship, perhaps a 50% upcharge for next day, and tiers between. That way your purchase is 'reserved' from the factory.

Using a raffle system and allowing people to order their desired card, even if it has yet to release, would likely be the most fair. You're given a specific code, you fill out an order form for the officially announced card of your choice and you receive it based on the order drawn. That way, even the bots and scalpers that bypass the system are little if any more likely to get their card earlier than you.
I actually really like this idea!

Everyone gets in line before 'release day', puts money down, and then the orders get put in a random sequence at launch. You get your card when you get your card, but you're updated on the progress, and people can get out of line if they don't like their spot. So long as there's a large enough fee for deciding not to get your card, scalping should be pretty limited.

I never did understand why orders weren’t just a queue - not capped. Back order isn’t a new term or concept, I don’t know why it doesn’t get applied in these situations.

I bought cards during all these times as well. Honestly, it has never been this bad. The closest I've seen this was during the 1080 Ti launch where the cards sold out in five minutes. I still managed to snag two in the initial order run.

I bought cards during all these times as well. Honestly, it has never been this bad. The closest I've seen this was during the 1080 Ti launch where the cards sold out in five minutes. I still managed to snag two in the initial order run.

2080 here in Europe was bad too, launch was Sept 20, I managed to get one Oct 04, does not look like it will go as fast this time..

Become a Patron!
Back