NVIDIA Reportedly Launching GeForce RTX 3080 (20 GB) and 3070 (16 GB) in December

I'm wondering if should cancel my step up to the 3080 10GB with EVGA and try and get a 3090 or wait for the 3080 20GB?
I was originally holding out for 3090 mainly because of the VRAM and that extra bit of performance but was still questioning my own sanity with the price. This makes it an even tougher decision. The only real question is what is the price?

3080 looks to be an amazing 1440p card and at 4K still great for any game that doesn't need the memory, and that's most of 'em right now. However, the ones with the most eye candy will eat it right up.

It's kind of a middle finger to everyone who ran out and bought 10gb 3080's though isn't it?
The existence of the 20GB cards was pretty widely rumored; and at the same time, it's not like the 10GB limitation is going to be a large issue for most gamers. Yes, you can find ways to make it matter, but you can also just as easily find ways around it.

And realistically those that bought 10GB 3080s should know what they were getting. It's hard to imagine practically anyone just casually picking one up between the cost and the availability.

As for me... yeah, the 20GB version is probably going to be enough to bite. Not because 10GB would realistically be an issue for gaming, but because I'll likely wind up using it for content creation too, and I honestly keep my cards too long.

AFAIK micron will not release 16Gb GDDR6X chips till sometime next year. So its either 16gbps GDDR6 or a different pcb to accomodate twice the chips like the RTX3090. What will it be? Less bandwidth or higher cost? take your pick.

It's kind of a middle finger to everyone who ran out and bought 10gb 3080's though isn't it?
Mehh... there will always be something better around the corner. 20GB variants will be released in the next 3-6 months, and then 3-6 months after that we'll see a Super/Ti variant... waiting for the next best thing is moot. Just buy whatever is available and enjoy it.

AFAIK micron will not release 16Gb GDDR6X chips till sometime next year. So its either 16gbps GDDR6 or a different pcb to accomodate twice the chips like the RTX3090. What will it be? Less bandwidth or higher cost? take your pick.
If I'm not mistaken, the 3080 has BGAs on the back for the memory chips that the 3090 has, they're just not used. Aside from that, the rumor was that the 20GB cards were going to be AIB only.

You can bitch about it being a paper launch all you want.
Oh you misunderstand me, I’m not bitching about anything, I have no intention of buying a 3080 or 3090 at all. I am amused if anything.

I hope you get your 3090 soon.

If I'm not mistaken, the 3080 has BGAs on the back for the memory chips that the 3090 has, they're just not used. Aside from that, the rumor was that the 20GB cards were going to be AIB only.
No it doesn't, not the reference board, nor the Nvidia board. (and no, its not officially called Founders Edition)

1602348039065.png

1602348296050.png

Become a Patron!
Back