A Flood of DC and Marvel Movies Could Hit Theaters Within Two Years

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Regal-Theater-Irvine-1024x576.jpg
Image: Regal Theaters

Movies for both DC and Marvel are piling up as the pandemic continues to wreak havoc with release schedules. From delayed productions to cast members testing positive and release dates being pushed back, a theatrical tsunami is in the works. At one point, things seemed to be getting brighter for holiday releases, but now they too are being rescheduled for later debuts. If things continue, it looks as if 2021 and 2022 will be inundated with a swath of superhero movies. News outlets across the internet have been reporting on the many reschedules now planned for the next two years.

DC Films

Aquaman 2: Not necessarily delayed, but it is expected to release on December 16, 2022. However, it has not even begun...

Continue reading...

So the already oversaturated superhero movie market is going to be even more saturated? People were already getting superhero movie fatigue, and this is just going to make it worse.

So the already oversaturated superhero movie market is going to be even more saturated? People were already getting superhero movie fatigue, and this is just going to make it worse.
I agree, as much as I love them this is far too much for me as well. Pretty sure I'll wait on buying, or seeing, a lot of these until BF 2023/2024, that is if I do at all.

I suspect the goal here is to try and help return profitability to Disney by making movies that consistently gross over a billion dollars each. Having said that, if they aren't careful with the virtue signaling, and agenda pushing these movies will become financial failures. While Captain Marvel was financially successful enough, it fell short of predictions and didn't make as much as they hoped it would. There are rumors of "wokeness" in the Black Widow movie, and if that's true it will be disastrous. Maybe not Bird's of Prey bad, but it won't do nearly as well as it could have.

It's also very risky to make these films now as we don't know if theatrical releases will ever go back to making the money they once did. I think people will stay away from the theaters more than they used to. Digital distribution could work, but frankly, they haven't figured out the right way to do that yet. Traditional PPV type of schemes are often seen as far too costly and when its a turd like Mulan, they'll probably make far less money on a flop than they would have with a traditional theatrical release. $30 to see a movie on a service that's already $15 a month was considered excessive and that's probably not going to be the way forward either.

Then again, it might work for a film that people actually want to see, but finding that out could be a very costly endeavor and the Mouse House has had a tough year already.

So with the potential of studio's opening their own Theaters again I had the following idea.

Franchise/Studio passes. You go to your Disney Theater (or multi-brand theater) and buy a Franchise season or Story pass.

Like for Marvel 2.0 pass you pay say 100 bucks a person that lets you see ALL of the marvel movies for this story arc. It's a one time payment per seat but you can then go to the website and book your seats with your Franchise pass.

If you want to see everything by another studio like a StarWars pass that's available as well.

Or you could do a full DISNEY pass for 200 dollars a holder that covers all Disney and subsidiary movies for a year. (1 seat per holder.) Maybe some special deals for snacks and such.

What do you think about that?

I think throwing a bunch of money at superhero movies for the foreseeable future is a bad idea. With The Avengers: Endgame finishing out the main Marvel storyline that was built over quite a few years I suspect most people have met their quota of superhero movies for a while. In fact, it's likely most people were burned out by that point but wanted to see the finale.

A glut of new superhero movies isn't going to be successful. There may be a standout movie here and there but the genre isn't going to be the money train it once was anytime soon. One of the biggest reasons for the Marvel success was the way the movies were interconnected telling a tale throughout all of them. That's also one of the biggest downsides because attempting to do it again will fail. The only real option is an occasional one off movie but they won't bring in the numbers like before.

Why DC is even bothering I don't know. Their movies aren't nearly as interesting as most of the Marvel movies were. Of the ones I've watched I don't think the movies were as bad as some people like to believe but they weren't great movies either.

Hinestly in the times being what they are. We could use some up beat musicals. Something like white Christmas or singing in the rain. I loved the carnival movie with hue Jackman.

Hinestly in the times being what they are. We could use some up beat musicals. Something like white Christmas or singing in the rain. I loved the carnival movie with hue Jackman.
I agree. I've seen stories, here and there, about how most don't want to see another zombie or virus outbreak movie. Hopefully, if they push through with these they'll get the hint and not do something similar.

Become a Patron!
Back