GIGABYTE Lists GeForce RTX 3090 with Blower Design

Where can one obtain one of these?

I'm with you.

I'm thinking this probably wouldn't be a bad card to get.

Firstly, it should be easier to find, because all the kiddies want the royal rainbow versions and better cooling.

Secondly, since it will likely run hotter with this cooler, Gigabyte will likely have to have used a higher bin chip to make it work right.

Thirdly, I'll be putting a water block on whatever I wind up getting anyway...

I'm with you.

I'm thinking this probably wouldn't be a bad card to get.

Firstly, it should be easier to find, because all the kiddies want the royal rainbow versions and better cooling.

Secondly, since it will likely run hotter with this cooler, Gigabyte will likely have to have used a higher bin chip to make it work right.

Thirdly, I'll be putting a water block on whatever I wind up getting anyway...
My thoughts exactly.

This could be great for those with smaller cases to help keep the heat out. I run a lot of mITX (3 mITX desktops currently) and blowers tend to work well in these kinds of environments where the FE edition could cause issues with getting heat out (especially in cases where my GPU is horizontal instead of vertical). Blower cards have their uses, even in OEM where they don't want to install a ton of fans into a box or have a compact design that doesn't allow great airflow.

This could be great for those with smaller cases to help keep the heat out. I run a lot of mITX (3 mITX desktops currently) and blowers tend to work well in these kinds of environments where the FE edition could cause issues with getting heat out (especially in cases where my GPU is horizontal instead of vertical). Blower cards have their uses, even in OEM where they don't want to install a ton of fans into a box or have a compact design that doesn't allow great airflow.
Nvidia's new cooler scheme, while still probably not suitable for mounting parallel to the motherboard, in a typical desktop tower configuration results in the rear fan exhausting out the card slot and the front fan pushing air 'up'.

It's quite a bit different than the radial coolers that generally just blow air around themselves, which require good overall airflow in the enclosure to ensure that cool air gets mixed in. These new coolers should work very well even in smaller enclosures and those with less internal airflow.

They should also work fairly well in enclosures with 'flat' layouts, like the Node 202.

Nvidia's new cooler scheme, while still probably not suitable for mounting parallel to the motherboard, in a typical desktop tower configuration results in the rear fan exhausting out the card slot and the front fan pushing air 'up'.

It's quite a bit different than the radial coolers that generally just blow air around themselves, which require good overall airflow in the enclosure to ensure that cool air gets mixed in. These new coolers should work very well even in smaller enclosures and those with less internal airflow.

They should also work fairly well in enclosures with 'flat' layouts, like the Node 202.
Yeah, I was just trying to say it's nice to have some options for different cases and reasons. I'm not hating on FE cards, I think the design will/does work well in a typical case. I also think triple radial fans has proven to work well also. Blowers have their uses in some cases as well, so having all of the options is good for a consumer.

Can't beat this classic blower design!

Can't beat this classic blower design!

"launches"

source.gif

Question is, why not just use the FE ?
It is sometimes available for purchase too.

Sometimes.

Question is, why not just use the FE ?
It is sometimes available for purchase too.

Sometimes.
The FE is not blower style, it would not work in a situation where multiple cards are used in adjecent slots. This is intended for farms/renderboxes.

The FE is not blower style, it would not work in a situation where multiple cards are used in adjecent slots. This is intended for farms/renderboxes.
I have to wonder if a pair of FE's couldn't work...

You wouldn't want to use them in an enclosure with front-to-back airflow, like a racked server, but in a desktop? Probably no worse than any other solution, with the top card getting a tad warmer.

You wouldn't want to use them in an enclosure with front-to-back airflow, like a racked server, but in a desktop? Probably no worse than any other solution, with the top card getting a tad warmer.

That's what I'm thinking.

Probably the biggest issue with the 3090 FE is its size, true 3 slot card.

Renderboxes usually have more than 2 cards. In a desktop with two cards FE would not be worse but you couldn't even buy an FE outside the US. At all, not now, not ever.

Renderboxes usually have more than 2 cards. In a desktop with two cards FE would not be worse but you couldn't even buy an FE outside the US. At all, not now, not ever.
Shoot...

I'm considering trying for a hypothetical 20GB 3080Ti... after an AIO, I'd take an FE, all things considered.

Shoot...

I'm considering trying for a hypothetical 20GB 3080Ti... after an AIO, I'd take an FE, all things considered.
I'd love an FE, they have a very high tech look and feel. Also the true 2 slot and fairly short design is appealing for ppl like me that dont build in 30 gallon cases.

I think the concept of an FE at $100+ the AIB MSRP is ... rediculous. I’m glad nVidia dropped that practice. I always thought the FEs were decent cards, but on previous editions I didn’t think they were worth that much be extra, especially when compared to some of the better AIBs.

So at least Ampere has that going for it - nice FEs without a big markup.

wait... what am I saying? No markuphahaha... it’s just not nVidia making that sweet markup cash.

I think the concept of an FE at $100+ the AIB MSRP is ... rediculous. I’m glad nVidia dropped that practice. I always thought the FEs were decent cards, but on previous editions I didn’t think they were worth that much be extra, especially when compared to some of the better AIBs.

So at least Ampere has that going for it - nice FEs without a big markup.

wait... what am I saying? No markuphahaha... it’s just not nVidia making that sweet markup cash.

Well, I was always interested in the FE cards, because at least th erumor was that in order to make them perform well with those subpar coolers they put on them compared to the AIB extreme editions, they had to cherry pick the best binned chips for themselves.

So the theory at least was that if you were going to rip the cooler off and put a water block on it, there was no better edition than the Founder Edition. It was like winning the silicon lottery every time.

I'd love an FE, they have a very high tech look and feel. Also the true 2 slot and fairly short design is appealing for ppl like me that dont build in 30 gallon cases.
If the 3080 Ti is using the full chip like the 3090 then I imagine the FE will also be 3-slots just like the 3090.

1608559948917.png

If the 3080 Ti is using the full chip like the 3090 then I imagine the FE will also be 3-slots just like the 3090.

View attachment 699
I'm fine with the non-Ti, not stressing over VRAM until its a real issue for me personally.
Would be cool tho if they kept the Ti as a 2 slot.

Also I dont know what were talking about here anyway, there is no Ti...and hardly anyhing else for that matter..haha

Become a Patron!
Back