AMD Says Radeon RX 6000 GPUs Provide a Great Ray-Tracing Experience at 1440p

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-rx-6900-xt-angle-2-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

We’re only a week away from learning what AMD’s new Radeon RX 6000 Series graphics cards are truly capable of, but as a teaser, EVP Rick Bergman has shared some comments regarding one of their biggest mysteries: ray-tracing performance.

According to Bergman, who recently spoke to The Street regarding AMD’s current and next-gen products, Radeon RX 6000 Series users should expect great ray-tracing performance at 1440p. That is the resolution and performance level that red team targeted.

“…our goal was at 1440p [resolution], to have a great ray-tracing experience,” Bergman said. “And that was kind of the performance level that we targeted. Now it depends on particular games and...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Works for me (1440p)!

Probably tough to do speedy 4k raytracing without some sort of variant DLSS-like tech.

They say, they say..... Let's see! Gosh.

This is good news for me. I intend to bump up to 1440 soon.

Makes sense. Everyone and their dog is comparing the latest-gen cards to the 2080 Ti and that card does o.k. at 1440p w/o DLSS for RT. Anything more powerful ought to improve in kind.

I don't think there is a ton of people gaming at 4K yet anyhow. 1440 is probably the majority of gamers so this might be a good gaming series card.

Makes sense. Everyone and their dog is comparing the latest-gen cards to the 2080 Ti and that card does o.k. at 1440p w/o DLSS for RT. Anything more powerful ought to improve in kind.
1920x1080 is a more realistic resolution for ray tracing on the 2080 Ti, in my experience. That's why DLSS is a godsend for those of us on 4K monitors.

Yeah, what the fella is really saying is - "we really don't have a good solution right now to compete against DLSS 2.1 and it'll be a very long while before we do (think close to or Big NAVI 2) but we cannot openly say that by it being so close to the RX 6000 release date!"

Gotcha, Bud!

1080 is the dominant gaming resolution. 1440 is starting to pick up steam as prices on those displays come down.

4K is just out of reach of most people. Or they don't want to commit to buying an expensive display and an expensive GPU to drive it.

I think we'll see a lot more 1440 adoption as prices on decent gaming displays come down to the $200 and below price point.

Yeah, what the fella is really saying is - "we really don't have a good solution right now to compete against DLSS 2.1 and it'll be a very long while before we do (think close to or Big NAVI 2) but we cannot openly say that by it being so close to the RX 6000 release date!"

Gotcha, Bud!
Microsoft has been talking about DirectML Super Resolution since DirectX 12 Ultimate was revealed earlier this year. I believe it may already be used in some games on the Series X|S. AMD's job is just getting the support in the drivers, which I foresee only taking a few months. AMD may very well have already been working on it long before they revealed support on the 6800 series.

Microsoft has been talking about DirectML Super Resolution since DirectX 12 Ultimate was revealed earlier this year. I believe it may already be used in some games on the Series X|S. AMD's job is just getting the support in the drivers, which I foresee only taking a few months. AMD may very well have already been working on it long before they revealed support on the 6800 series.
Spot on!

1920x1080 is a more realistic resolution for ray tracing on the 2080 Ti, in my experience. That's why DLSS is a godsend for those of us on 4K monitors.
Too true. Those of us with one have seen it can pretty much do a 60+ FPS experience for most things, even at max settings. It's just that 1080p is too far a step backward for me at this point. I've been gaming at 1400p, or higher, for about 5 years now.

I don't think there is a ton of people gaming at 4K yet anyhow. 1440 is probably the majority of gamers so this might be a good gaming series card.
Ironically enough there's probably more console gamers with 4K t.v.'s vs. PC with either a 4K monitor or t.v. The irony is the various smoke and mirrors used with consoles for their 4K solutions.

Define "Great"?

Can I turn everything to max and get ~100 to 120fps in todays RTT titles without resolution scaling trickery?

IMHO, that is the threshold for being able to call anything "great".

Works for me (1440p)!

Probably tough to do speedy 4k raytracing without some sort of variant DLSS-like tech.

Yeah. DLSS is a promising technology. IN some cases it actually looks better than native (at least in 2.0) which is awesome. Downside is that it's not available in most titles...

A little disappointing that AMD doesn't seem to have an equivalent available at launch. They are reportedly working on it, but who knows when it will come out and how widely supported it will be.

Yeah. DLSS is a promising technology. IN some cases it actually looks better than native (at least in 2.0) which is awesome. Downside is that it's not available in most titles...

A little disappointing that AMD doesn't seem to have an equivalent available at launch. They are reportedly working on it, but who knows when it will come out and how widely supported it will be.
As widely supported as consoles I guess?

As widely supported as consoles I guess?

Well, there is more to DLSS than just upscaling. There are AI calculations that actually augment the image to the point where it can look really quite good. Apparently it requires advance training on the specific title thoug.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back