Disney Could Be Launching an 18+ Streaming Service in 2021

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
disney-plus-studios-1024x576.jpg
Image: Disney

Giant Freakin’ Robot has reported on a video that was supposedly prepared for Disney’s next Investor Day (December 10). It features snippets of Logan, Deadpool, Stuber, and Red Sparrow, all of which are rated R, as well as New Mutants and other titles. This seems to be a premier access trailer showcasing a number of projects, which includes the unreleased Black Widow.

Disney has enjoyed overwhelming success with its Disney+ streaming service, which includes a large majority of its catalog, but fans have wondered whether R-rated content might eventually be offered on the family-friendly platform. The acquisition of Fox did include various R-rated properties (e.g., Deadpool and the Alien and Kingsman franchises).

Disney has typically used other companies/labels to produce mature...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a subscriber, but I applaud this decision. Disney now owns way too much R rated content from acquisitions that they simply cannot ignore. And the masses might lose their minds if Disney edited them down to PG13 editions.

This gives me hope for a new Deadpool, after all!

I assume they will have a password lock on the "adult" channel to keep it separated from kiddo stuff. Random thought that just popped into my head.... anyone remember cable boxes in the 80's? They had a physical key on them to lock/unlock the adult/pay channels? Man I'm old.

No I definitely remember stuff like this (and me and my friends trying to "unscramble" an adult channel and just losing it if we saw what appeared to be a weird slanted somewhat green breast in all the "noise".

The crap we wouldn't do to see some nudity lol.

Kids today have no clue how good they have it!

I thought this was why they stuck with Hulu?
Hulu is primarily a distribution platform for other media companies. It's like a cable provider for the internet that is owned by Disney.

Good call - if Disney plans on competing with the likes of Amazon Prime or Netflix, they're going to need the more adult oriented content as well.

I'd be surprised if they put it all under a 'Disney+' banner. I imagine they'll create a new service that Disney+ falls under.

Also, hope this gives a pathway to the Netflix Daredevil series to continue. Really enjoyed that series and S3 was especially good (and had a cliffhanger ending).

So even within the company, they gonna fragment the service... Brilliant!
Oh well.

Hulu is primarily a distribution platform for other media companies. It's like a cable provider for the internet that is owned by Disney.

So even within the company, they gonna fragment the service... Brilliant!
Oh well.

Yeah... each with their own subscription I'm sure. It's getting a bit out of hand. That would put Disney up to 5 separate and distinct streaming services.

Disney+, ESPN+, NHL.tv, Hulu, and whatever this shakes out to be.

Become a Patron!
Back