3080Ti Delayed Until Late February..........At Least?

Daniel_Doty

"stinger608"
Staff member
According to an article over at Igor's Lab, the much anticipated 3080Ti will be delayed until late February, at least. Maybe later.

igor's Lab said:
I had already mentioned it several times in my own tests that the GeForce RTX 3080 can always overtake the RX 6800 XT and partly even the RX 6900 XT in some games, especially in Ultra-HD, when the AMD cards were still only a bit faster or at least equal in WQHD. Speculations about a possible weakness of the GeForce in lower resolutions should not come true, however, because it has been heard from various sources (even AMD) that the cache prediction on the new Big Navi cards, especially in Ultra-HD, is anything but optimal and that in the end, bandwidth problems can and do occur, even if only slight ones (“prediction issues”).

igor's Lab said:
This, in turn, allows NVIDIA to take a deep breath, and also lowers the priority level of a GeForce RTX 3080 Ti with a more generous memory expansion, while the card is set back in time. So take a deep breath and breathe. If the information I got from several sources (up to suppliers) is correct and congruent, then the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti with 20 GB graphics memory will be launched only after the CNY (Chinese New Year, 11 to 17 February) holidays, i.e. at the end of February at the earliest, may be even later.

This is unfortunate for people anticipating the launch of the 3080Ti.

Note to Admins: If you would like to include this in the Tech News, by all means do so.

Should hit tax-return season though, which works for me!

Just need to schedule a vacation for the end of Feb so I can get the 20GB 3080Ti Hybrid (from whoever) and a new monitor to play with... :D

I'll take the 3080 vanilla as soon as one drops.

At this stage with the world being what it is I'm not going to make any plans.
I'll deal with the VRAM hurdle when/if it materializes, for me personally.

Last edited:
The card that hasn't been announced, was canceled then back again has been delayed...

I'll take the 3080 vanilla as soon as one drops.

At this stage with the world being what it is I'm not going to make any plans.
I'll deal with the VRAM hurdle when/if it materializes, for me personally.
If CyberPunk 2077 is any indication, you don't have to worry about having more than 8GB or ram.

It's magical, isn't it.

Well, gotta stay in the headlines somehow I guess.
The easiest route would be a cut down RTX3090 but also the most expensive. The one that makes more sense would be using 16Gb DDR6X chips, but those are not available yet. Using the current RTX3080 PCB, the Ti version could potentially fit up to 24GB.

Cyberpunk was using 9.7GB VRAM and 20GB RAM on my PC when I was playing it on the Ultra preset at 4K with the PC in my signature.

Not really and indication. Cards with more memory tend to make more use of it.

Cyberpunk was using 9.7GB VRAM and 20GB RAM on my PC when I was playing it on the Ultra preset at 4K with the PC in my signature.
And that's just assuming games... for games, I'm not really worried about VRAM, but I have other uses in mind :D
Not really and indication. Cards with more memory tend to make more use of it.
This is a valid point, but mostly, it points to how difficult VRAM usage is to accurately measure.

Best I can gather is that VRAM is reduced until there is a detectable performance or quality difference, which is basically just spitballing.

Take a look at 4k performance of RTX3070 vs RTX2080Ti. As Armenious stated, the 2080Ti is probably using 9+GB of VRAM vs probably a little under 8GB in the 3070.

If ram was an issue, no way they would show the same performance (while the 3070 even having less bandwidth)

BTW the 3090 also shows over 9GB of ram usage.

1608095219895.png

I am using DLSS Performance to play with these settings. I haven't gotten around to tweaking them yet so I could at least turn DLSS up to Quality.
I am getting similar system resource usage during gameplay. I am using quality DLSS though not Performance. Games is gorgeous, too gorgeous for me to notice im not playing at Native resolution in this title.

Become a Patron!
Back