Monitor Prices Might Be Going Up Due to LCD Display Shortage Worsened by Earthquakes, Power Outages

I haven’t looked (for that) because it doesn’t exist as Dan’s said. It’s just what I want.
Will I grab a 4k 144 with HDR and USB C PD if it gets to a cheap enough price? Yes, but as of right now they all seem too expensive or limited in one way or another.
HDR is a big one I don’t want to regret not having and that’s kind of tough to get right at a good price. I want that nice Dolby HDR as well and we all know how much that can add to the price.

Again, today's 4K 144Hz monitors sacrifice G-Sync/FreeSync to achieve those speeds. 4K@120Hz is the limit of what we can do with a single DP1.4 cable. This really matters given that you won't be seeing 144FPS in most games and likely you'll be closer to 60FPS or even less in some cases. As a result, G-Sync is absolutely essential for a smooth experience. With it, 45FPS in Cyberpunk 2077 feels OK. Without it, its a slideshow. As for HDR, I think you might regret not having it. Most displays also have nearly useless HDR400 as well unless you really spend a ton of money on a display.

All this monitor got me thinking... I really miss having a 16:10 screen. There are no longer any viable options with this aspect ratio. And while 4k in 16:9 isn't bad, more screen real estate is always welcome.

All this monitor got me thinking... I really miss having a 16:10 screen. There are no longer any viable options with this aspect ratio. And while 4k in 16:9 isn't bad, more screen real estate is always welcome.
I feel the same way. 16:9 feels just a hair too short and narrow. Sure, 16:10 isn't far off, but it is square enough that I didn't feel it nearly as much. I still have a couple of 16:10 1080 screens, and going back and forth between them, and even my 4K 16:9, that little bit of extra height is noticeable.

But yeah... given the choice of 16:10 1080 or 16:9 4K, 4K wins that compromise.

At one point LG was making them. I've got a 4K/16:10/IPS/10-bit/4096x2160 one. Still use it for work and light gaming. I forget the model # at the moment but I remember I paid around $1000 for it back when Pascal was out. Most 16:10 stuff gets listed in work monitor/display sections now.

edit: Just adding that it was my first IPS display and blew me away what that kind of tech does for IQ and gaming. Still remember just sitting in awe of playing WItcher 3 and noticing all sorts of new details. Turned out to be a great work display too for multiple windows/databases/etc.

At one point LG was making them. I've got a 4K/16:10/IPS/10-bit/4096x2160 one. Still use it for work and light gaming. I forget the model # at the moment but I remember I paid around $1000 for it back when Pascal was out. Most 16:10 stuff gets listed in work monitor/display sections now.

edit: Just adding that it was my first IPS display and blew me away what that kind of tech does for IQ and gaming. Still remember just sitting in awe of playing WItcher 3 and noticing all sorts of new details. Turned out to be a great work display too for multiple windows/databases/etc.
That is 17:9, not 16:10 - going wider instead of taller. 4K 16:10 would be 3840x2400.

Man I love the USB on my Aorus monitor. Not only can I plug the keyboard and mouse in to the monitor for better cable management I can also control the monitor's OSD without messing with hidden buttons.

To each their own I guess. I'll never go back to a monitor without at least 2-3 USB ports in it.

Man I love the USB on my Aorus monitor. Not only can I plug the keyboard and mouse in to the monitor for better cable management I can also control the monitor's OSD without messing with hidden buttons.

To each their own I guess. I'll never go back to a monitor without at least 2-3 USB ports in it.
I'm honestly a little bummed it's now another detail for me to keep track of for researching new displays for my desktops. That list just keeps growing. It's kind of insane at this point.

I went from 3 2560x1600 screens to a 38" ultrawide LG at 3840x1600 for 24:10 with 2 1600x900 panels on the sides in portrait layout. Recently upgraded to a CX48 for 120Hz Freesync over HDMI 2.1 and even at 16:9 it's plenty of room in every direction. Still have the small monitors on the sides just because. Looks like good timing on the CX48.

Become a Patron!
Back