LG Teases UltraGear 4K UHD IPS Monitor with HDMI 2.1

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
lg-ultragear-4k-uhd-nano-ips-27gn950-gaming-setup-1024x576.jpg

As part of a promotional brochure for its CES 2021 lineup, LG has shared the first details and images of its new UltraGear monitor, the 27GP950. This is an evolution of the company’s current 27-inch UltraGear 4K UHD Nano IPS (27GN950) with HDMI 2.1 support, enabling enhanced gaming features such as Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), and Quick Frame Transport (QFT). The panel also features a 1 ms GtG (gray to gray) response time and refresh rates of up to 160 Hz when overclocked.

Prospective buyers can check out LG’s 27GN950 landing page to get a feel for what the aesthetics and other specifications of the monitor might look...

Continue reading...

Oh LG.

Everything they make is either too large, or too small.

48" 4K LG OLED TV's, or 27" 4K Desktop monitors.

My ideal screen? One of the LG 4K OLED TV's in 43".

Oh LG.

I agree, my 43" is good monitor size... but when I got it I was crying "oh why don't they make a 40" version". I did eventually get used to it. I suspect the 48" would be similar, awkward at first but you'd get used to it. Size wise anyway, perhaps not cost.

Oh LG.

Well said. As far as I am concerned, 40-43" at 4K is perfect. Even 32" displays are too small for 4K in my opinion.

I agree, my 43" is good monitor size... but when I got it I was crying "oh why don't they make a 40" version". I did eventually get used to it. I suspect the 48" would be similar, awkward at first but you'd get used to it. Size wise anyway, perhaps not cost.

I've used 48 and 49" TV's for some time. After more than two years I still never got used to it. I found those sizes to be too large for productivity. For gaming, they were fantastic in terms of picture and image quality. The size was great for immersion but the top most corners were almost useless for anything else. At least with my eyes anyway.

I used a 4K 48" Samsung JS9000 TV as a monitor from summer 2015 until end of 2019. It got better than it was when I first bought it, but I never got quite used to it. The DPI was just a tad low, allowing individual pixels to be visible at my standard desktop viewing distance. The size was just a little too much, too.

4K at 43" has a near perfect desktop DPI of ~100 (102.46) 4k at 48" was just too low for me at 91.79.

I would consider 40" usable too, but honestly, I never got quite used to my fiance's 27" 1440p screen (108.79 DPI) it was just a little too high for me. 40" 4k would be above that at 110.15.

Well said. As far as I am concerned, 40-43" at 4K is perfect. Even 32" displays are too small for 4K in my opinion.
I have to run mine at 150%, 125% is doable but honestly just requires me to strain my eyes a little bit too much. I still don’t get why they keep shoveling this 27” garbage. 1440P at 32” is perfect but there’s maybe 1 high end monitor at that size.

I’d take a 27” but I am afraid it will cost almost as much as a 55” CX

I have to run mine at 150%, 125% is doable but honestly just requires me to strain my eyes a little bit too much. I still don’t get why they keep shoveling this 27” garbage. 1440P at 32” is perfect but there’s maybe 1 high end monitor at that size.

You might like 4K@48" then, as they ahve about an identical DPI. It's a bit low for me at my seating distance. I can see too much pixelation.

I've used 32" 4K for years now and find it perfect for photoediting, great for gaming.

I sit pretty close tho, shallowish old wood desk.

I've used 32" 4K for years now and find it perfect for photoediting, great for gaming.

I sit pretty close tho, shallowish old wood desk.

My seated position to my 43" 4k screen is such that if I stretch my arm straight out in front of me the tips of my fingers can almost touch the screen. I have pretty long arms though. The distance to my eyeballs if probably 2 to 2.5 feet. It's what I consider a normal seated position in front of a Desktop monitor, but everyone's normal varies I guess.

From that range, I find that ~100 DPI is perfect. 90DPI is a little too low, and 110 DPI is a little too high.

It just so happens that classic desktop resolutions and screen sizes (like 1600x1200 at 20", or even the much newer 2560x1600 at 30") also wind up being almost exactly 100 DPI. Maybe it is that I am accustomed to those classic resolutions, and that's why I like it this way, or maybe it's because those classic resolutions were developed to some human eyeball science that I am unfamiliar with, but around 100DPI just winds up being perfect for my seated position.

I'll admit that the first time I sat infront of a 40+" 4k screen the large size took some getting used to. Then again, so did the first time I sat infront of my 22" 1600x1200 (20" visible) Iiyama CRT back in 2001, or the first time I sat in front of my 24" 1920x1200 Dell 2405FPW in ~2005, and my 30" Dell 2560x1600 screen in 2010. It turns out every time I have upgraded screen size in the last 20 years I have been a little overwhelmed at first, but then gotten used to it.

You wind up playing the game a little differently that way I think. By necessity more focus on the center, less on the corners which become "peripheral vision". It's probably not something you'd want if you play most competitive multi-player games, but in a visually stimulating story based single player FPS it can really just suck you in.

43" is perfect for me at 4K. 48" just a tad big, with just a tad too visible pixels. 40" would probably make me squint in day to day productivity use without scaling, and scaling always feels like kind of a kludge to me.

I too would like to see LG drop their OLEDs in size, and even better would be tuning for desktop use; just turn them into monitors.

Also, somewhat separately, I'm warming up significantly to higher-DPI monitors. At least in terms of being able to use scaling. 4k at 32" with 150% scaling looks quite good!

How can there be such a thing as too high of a DPI?

I can see how scaling could be imperfect. Windows does a very poor job with this. But as far as DPI goes, apart from diminishing returns, how can it get too high?

I've used 48 and 49" TV's for some time. After more than two years I still never got used to it. I found those sizes to be too large for productivity. For gaming, they were fantastic in terms of picture and image quality. The size was great for immersion but the top most corners were almost useless
My seated position to my 43" 4k screen is such that if I stretch my arm straight out in front of me the tips of my fingers can almost touch the screen. I have pretty long arms though. The distance to my eyeballs if probably 2 to 2.5 feet. It's what I consider a normal seated position in front of a Desktop monitor, but everyone's normal varies I guess.

From that range, I find that ~100 DPI is perfect. 90DPI is a little too low, and 110 DPI is a little too high.

It just so happens that classic desktop resolutions and screen sizes (like 1600x1200 at 20", or even the much newer 2560x1600 at 30") also wind up being almost exactly 100 DPI. Maybe it is that I am accustomed to those classic resolutions, and that's why I like it this way, or maybe it's because those classic resolutions were developed to some human eyeball science that I am unfamiliar with, but around 100DPI just winds up being perfect for my seated position.

I'll admit that the first time I sat infront of a 40+" 4k screen the large size took some getting used to. Then again, so did the first time I sat infront of my 22" 1600x1200 (20" visible) Iiyama CRT back in 2001, or the first time I sat in front of my 24" 1920x1200 Dell 2405FPW in ~2005, and my 30" Dell 2560x1600 screen in 2010. It turns out every time I have upgraded screen size in the last 20 years I have been a little overwhelmed at first, but then gotten used to it.

You wind up playing the game a little differently that way I think. By necessity more focus on the center, less on the corners which become "peripheral vision". It's probably not something you'd want if you play most competitive multi-player games, but in a visually stimulating story based single player FPS it can really just suck you in.

43" is perfect for me at 4K. 48" just a tad big, with just a tad too visible pixels. 40" would probably make me squint in day to day productivity use without scaling, and scaling always feels like kind of a kludge to me.

I can handle a 43" 4K without scaling. At 40", I don't need it, but 125% scaling is necessary for long term use.

Oh LG.

Got a story coming out today where they'll be offering OLED televisions from 88" all the way down to 20", including a 42" model.

I remember having various meetings with companies like ASUS, MSI, etc. at HardOCP. They would always bring up their monitors and talk up some 27" or 32" offering and Kyle and I would both tell them that 4K and 40"+ was what we were looking for. They often looked at us like we were insane and it was clear they didn't understand it.

We were both big into NVSurround and Eyefinity setups. We both used them for years and couldn't go back to a single small display like a 27". Both of us had wanted a single large format display that would be good for productivity and gaming which would give us what we had with multiple displays, but without the issues that go with them.

I was already keeping an eye open for a 48" CX, knowing that it was bigger than I wanted, but since it had almost every other item on my wishlist, I am willing to make that compromise.

I was due to rebuild my rig (4790K, GTX980), it's due. I've been running a pair of Dell 2715 4K monitors for a while now - yeah, I know a lot of people say 27" is too small for 4K, and a 980 can't drive a 4K panel, but I've been pretty happy with both to be honest. I run 175% scaling on my rig now, and I sit back a good 4" from my two monitors.

But now that computer parts are... less-than-available, I've been putting money at other items. A lot of kitchen upgrades. For my computer, I've decided I'm going to get a new chair, and go ahead and plunge on a single new monitor when I can snag 120Hz, VRR, 4K, and OLED all at the same time. I'd also like to upgrade the GPU at some point, but that is dependant on availability, and I'm not willing to throw a ton of money at it.

So the CX already checks every box I want, except it's a hair too big. I'd have to re-arrange my setup considerably to make it work. I'd be keeping at least one of the 2715's for web browsing and general work, and throwing a larger-than-27" panel in there will take some doing. But it could be done, just have to find a way that's wife-approved.

Now that a 42" OLED may be in the works, yeah, I'd seriously consider getting that Day 1 depending on pricing. I'd still rather the 32", which does exist as IPS/VA models .. but the choice between IPS and anything OLED hangs more than the difference in my preferred size. Not sure I'd sit and wait on a 42" if a good deal on the 48" pops up though.

LG reveals that a 42" OLED TV is coming this year. 42" 4K is a similar PPI to a 27" 2560x1440 screen (104.9 vs. 108.8)

http://www.lgdisplay.com/eng/prcenter/newsView?articleMgtNo=5299

Also a 31.5" OLED monitor in their UltraFine lineup, which unfortunately means 60 Hz, but it could lead to gaming monitors in the future.

https://www.engadget.com/lg-ultrafine-oled-pro-monitor-ces-2021-135201171.html
Yep that pr link is the one I prepped this morning. Should be out by this afternoon.

Become a Patron!
Back