RTX 3060 officially announced at CES

Stoly

FPS Regular
Nvidia CES presentation was YAWN... no Jensen to start with. A few games with RTX/DLSS and the new RTX3060/3070/3080 notebooks.

The RTX3060 with 12GB ram was the only desktop announcement.

A mid-range card with more VRAM than it can probably ever make use of that jacks up the cost of said card without any real benefit to it. Great work NVIDIA.

A mid-range card with more VRAM than it can probably ever make use of that jacks up the cost of said card without any real benefit to it. Great work NVIDIA.
It has to be available for it to make any difference though. Maybe... but I kinda doubt it will have any shelf availability either for the next few months.

This shows you can't have everyone happy

Had the card pack only 6gb, people would bitch about it having too little memory. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think the list price is right. AFAIK it about the same performance as the RTX2070. Who knows what the actual street price will be though.

It has to be available for it to make any difference though. Maybe... but I kinda doubt it will have any shelf availability either for the next few months.

We've had greater VRAM sizes available for five years. The Titan X's had 12GB, the RTX 2080 Ti has 11GB, etc. This sort of thing usually happens at the high end first. While one expects midrange cards to get more VRAM as time goes on, the fact is a 3060 just isn't likely to benefit from the increased RAM size. All it does is drive up costs. I'm not saying it should be a 6GB card either, but 12GB is too much.

We've had greater VRAM sizes available for five years. The Titan X's had 12GB, the RTX 2080 Ti has 11GB, etc. This sort of thing usually happens at the high end first. While one expects midrange cards to get more VRAM as time goes on, the fact is a 3060 just isn't likely to benefit from the increased RAM size. All it does is drive up costs. I'm not saying it should be a 6GB card either, but 12GB is too much.

I didn’t doubt your analysis in your first post and I don’t disagree with it here. I just don’t think it matters until you can find one on a shelf somewhere to buy.

** edit - That said, I’m 60% certain that the “official” reason this has so much VRAM will be to make it unappealing to miners. The fact that it results in more profit, I am “certain”, is just a happy coincidence.

Last edited:
People seem to forget that there is a direct correlation between memory bus and memory size.
In the case of the RTX3060 it has a 192bit bus, hence it can only have either 6 or 12GB using 6 chips
While the RTX3070 has a 256 bus which means either 8 or 16GB using 8 chips

The cost of the memory is probably offset at least in part by the cost savings on the PCB because of the smaller bus. Yup its quite odd having a budget card (now $329 is a budget card, go figure...) that has more memory that the flagship card like the RTX3080, but such is life.

At least this should mean that RTX 3070/16GB and 3080/20GB are surely comming.

BTW I know its technically possible to have memory sizes that do not directly correlate to the memory bus, but after the GTX970 3.5 GB ram "fiasco" I don't think we will see such cards anytime soon.

I'd agree that it won't be of much use for gaming, but it'll probably remove some bottlenecks for content creation, and we're not likely to see x50 cards with larger VRAM complements.

It really really confuses me to be honest....

Become a Patron!
Back