Resizable BAR Support Coming to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs in Late February/March

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-resizable-bar-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards are set to get a performance bump beginning in late February/March thanks to the added support of Resizable BAR, a PCI Express interface technology that allows processors to access all of a GPU’s memory at once. It doesn’t appear that the company has shared any metrics yet, but if the improvements granted by AMD’s Smart Access Memory is anything to go by, GeForce users might be able to enjoy as much as a 12 percent performance gain in select titles.

“Resizable BAR is an optional PCI Express interface technology,” NVIDIA explained. “As you move through a world in a game, GPU memory (VRAM)...

Continue reading...

I updated to a beta BIOS for my MSI MPG 570 board a couple of weeks back that includes Resizeable BAR support. Hopefully, it will apply to this when it rolls out. Pretty excited. I've read fairly mixed results with games but when they are able to make use of it, it's impressive.

I updated to a beta BIOS for my MSI MPG 570 board a couple of weeks back that includes Resizeable BAR support. Hopefully, it will apply to this when it rolls out. Pretty excited. I've read fairly mixed results with games but when they are able to make use of it, it's impressive.
I don't think it's as big a deal right now as people are making it out to be, but it could in the future going by some of the early impressions we've had of game engines that are in development. It could possibly open the door to some amazing things, but I won't give my hopes up. The removal of the draw call limit in DirectX didn't result in anything really amazing despite the possibilities, but I blame consoles for that one.

I don't think it's as big a deal right now as people are making it out to be, but it could in the future going by some of the early impressions we've had of game engines that are in development. It could possibly open the door to some amazing things, but I won't give my hopes up. The removal of the draw call limit in DirectX didn't result in anything really amazing despite the possibilities, but I blame consoles for that one.

We can blame consoles for a lot of things.

Become a Patron!
Back