ASUS Unveils Fanless Chromebox

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
asus-fanless-chromebox-1024x576.jpg
Image: ASUS

ASUS has announced a new Chromebox with a fanless design that can be configured with Intel 10th Gen Core or Celeron processors and up to 16 GB of DDR4 2666 MHz memory. Connectivity comprises Wi-Fi 6, BT 5.0, Gigabit ethernet, 2x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A ports (BC1.2), 2x HDMI 2.0 ports, and 1x USB-C 3.2 Gen 2. TDP is rated at 65 watts (Celeron) or 90 watts (Core). Internal storage options are a M.2 SATA SSD up to 256 GB.

Original Press Release

ASUS today announced the launch of Fanless Chromebox, the latest ASUS Chrome OS device that features 10th Generation Intel® processors for exceptional performance, USB-C® 3.2 Gen 1 for ultrafast connections and built-in Google Play support for a rich selection of apps for productivity, communication and more that facilitate efficient work for the...

Continue reading...

Not quite as cute as the previous square model, but it looks pretty nice.

I wonder if it can be hacked to boot arbitrary operating systems, like the old one could. This could be a nice little LibreElec (Kodi) box.

I also facepalm at the use of WiFi on a stationary box. Quit being lazy already and just run an Ethernet cord.

That's probably as much horsepower and connectivity that a desktop user needs to do your typical office and browsing stuff. Of course only if it can run other operating systems; I like the idea of Chrome OS, but I'd happily run Windows 10 or the distro of the week on it too.

Something like this could be handy in my workshop, should I ever return to a stationary setup for there.

I was kinda wondering about this... since it’s ChromeOS and there are an awful lot of other fanless (ARM) chrome machines out there - exactly what it the market for this one?

Sure seems like it’s a product Intel paid Asus to make, not one that anyone set out to just go buy.

I was kinda wondering about this... since it’s ChromeOS and there are an awful lot of other fanless (ARM) chrome machines out there - exactly what it the market for this one?

Sure seems like it’s a product Intel paid Asus to make, not one that anyone set out to just go buy.
No reason to count Google out of that possibility either.

And there are plenty of fanless Intel boxes as well, all the way up to quad-core i7 CPUs that I've seen. This is perhaps just a sleeker take on those.

The downside is they should push more marketing for it to make a more lasting footprint.

Little boxes like this certainly have their place.

I used the previous gen square one hacked to run LibreElec as a HTPC for a while. If they put decent Intel Ethernet controllers (two) of them in there, it could also be a really nice little pfSense box.

I wonder how much Google subsidizes the price of these due to ChromeOS, because if they were just a general purpose low cost compact PC you could easily install any operating system of your choice on, they would be quite useful.

Become a Patron!
Back