Paramount+ Streaming Service Launching March 4

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
paramount-logo-blue-1024x576.jpg
Image: ViacomCBS

ViacomCBS has announced that its new streaming service, Paramount+, will launch in the U.S. on March 4, 2021. Paramount+ is essentially a rebranding of CBS All Access that brings together Paramount Pictures, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, and other brands under a single digital roof. In addition to current exclusives such as Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Picard, the service will introduce a variety of new originals such as spy drama Lioness and true-crime docuseries The Real Criminal Minds. You can find the details for those below.

THE OFFER, a scripted limited event series from Paramount Television Studios, based on Oscar-winning producer Al Ruddy’s extraordinary, never-revealed experiences of making The...

Continue reading...

Ugh... at least it's getting merged with CBS All Access, so there isn't a net increase in the number of streaming services. Sounds like it will be like HBO moving over to HBO Max.

Still, it's dizzying as all the content owners move to de-couple themselves from the traditional distribution methods.

And then they'll complain: Why is there so much piracy, we don't understand! They just want everything for free! Bruhuhuhuhh

Glad it's just a rebranding thing. We've mostly enjoyed CBS and probably would not have taken on another service. I am thinking those execs need to work on something other than adding a plus to their names though. It's getting kinda old at this point. Wasn't there a third company going to do the same thing? The good news, I suppose, is that between HBO, Disney, Amazon, Netflix, Paramount, Peacock, and Hulu, just about all major IPs are now covered for movie or T.V.

And then they'll complain: Why is there so much piracy, we don't understand! They just want everything for free! Bruhuhuhuhh
Gaben wisely said that piracy is a service problem. The movie and TV industry siloing their content is going to make piracy even worse on their end.

Are Universal movies available on Peacock? Columbia/Sony and Universal are only two major studios I can think of that do not have a streaming presence, and Universal is a Comcast/NBC property.

Are Universal movies available on Peacock? Columbia/Sony and Universal are only two major studios I can think of that do not have a streaming presence, and Universal is a Comcast/NBC property.
Good question and honestly it's a bit of a mess. Sort of like when Disney+ started and they had to remove some things shortly after until some contracts finished up and then they got re-added later. When it comes to NBC stuff, I've noticed it split between Hulu, Peacock and HBO. I think you're spot on with Sony/Columbia though but I think some is on Crackle or somesuch. Paramount, well with the exception of new Trek stuff all of the old is on Prime, Netflix and CBS All Access. Like I said, a bit of a mess. It's a wacky streaming mess. I keep thinking about getting one of those aggregator services but too annoyed at the idea right now.

Become a Patron!
Back