Rumors about PS5 Being Able to Mine Cryptocurrency Are False

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
playstation-5-horizontal-placement-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

CoinTelegraph has clarified that those rumors going around about the PlayStation 5 being able to mine cryptocurrency are false. This is pretty clear based on a screenshot supplied by the Chinese software developer who claims to have accomplished mining Ether on a PS5, Yifan Gu, as it includes a QR code on the bottom left saying “There is no such software,” followed by laughing.

Gadget review site GizChina, one of the original sites that circulated the rumor, reported that the PS5 featured a hash rate of 98.76 MH/s and total power consumption of only 211 W, which made the console seem like an extremely attractive option for mining. People...

Continue reading...

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if it could. The fat PS3 running Linux was a crypto monster from what I’ve heard
The fat one was amazing all around. For years I considered getting one just to have that hardware-based backward compatibility going on. I remember the stories about them being used for all sorts of interesting projects. End of an innovative era for the PlayStation. Four and five are impressive but I still don't feel that either has made the impact the first three did.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if it could. The fat PS3 running Linux was a crypto monster from what I’ve heard
The difference is that you can't load a different OS on the PS5 and it hasn't been jailbroken yet. I'm sure once somebody finds out how to jailbreak the console that finding out its hash rate will be one of the first things tested.

The difference is that you can't load a different OS on the PS5 and it hasn't been jailbroken yet. I'm sure once somebody finds out how to jailbreak the console that finding out its hash rate will be one of the first things tested.
Well the hardware is pretty well known so I would imagine you could guess the hash rate within a pretty decent margin. It wouldn’t be like the PS3 though - the Cell processor was a unique beast

Yeah I know about the software. That’s pretty much the only thing preventing it though - the hardware is perfectly capable.

Become a Patron!
Back