Intel Ends Performance Tuning Protection Plan, an Extended Warranty Covering CPU Failures from Overclocking

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-new-processor-badges-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

Intel has announced that its Performance Tuning Protection Plan (PTPP), an extended warranty offering protection from damage that occurred during CPU overclocking, is no longer available. The company confirmed the termination of the program in a short letter on the official PTPP website, which suggested that the decision was made based on the plan’s decreasing popularity. Intel clarified that all existing plans would continue to be honored, however.

“As customers increasingly overclock with confidence, we are seeing lower demand for the Performance Tuning Protection Plans (PTPP),” Intel wrote. “As a result, Intel will no longer offer new PTPP plans effective March 1, 2021.”

“Intel will continue focusing on delivering amazing processors with tuning flexibility and overclocking tools like Intel Performance...

Continue reading...

I actually used this program before and it was a nice feature. Shame to lose it really.

I'm not surprised it's going away. It is in all likelihood a loss generator for Intel that isn't heavily used by a large % of their market.

Kinda surprised they are ending it — it seems like an insurance product, and that would cost very little to maintain, even if it wasn’t widely taken advantage of

Kinda surprised they are ending it — it seems like an insurance product, and that would cost very little to maintain, even if it wasn’t widely taken advantage of

Intel's CPU's currently have so little overhead and benefit so little from overclocking that there really isn't a need for this.

Intel's CPU's currently have so little overhead and benefit so little from overclocking that there really isn't a need for this.
I agree. So why end a program that’s essentially pure profit from people who want it

I agree. So why end a program that’s essentially pure profit from people who want it

It's not necessarily pure profit though. While costs are likely low, they aren't zero. They have to handle it on an administrative level, deal with claims etc. It may not be worth what little they spend on it if almost no one pays for the service. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the costs really are.

Become a Patron!
Back