GlobalFoundries Invests $1.4 Billion for Fab Expansion, Updates IPO Plans

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
global-foundries-wafer-1024x576.jpg
Image: GlobalFoundries

The world’s third-largest foundry by revenue is looking to expand. In an interview with Reuters, GlobalFoundries CEO Thomas Caulfield discussed bold plans for the company’s future. From doubling its investments and opening new plants to an earlier IPO, there are many things on the horizon. The ongoing effects of the global pandemic have led to an aggressive strategy for the chip manufacturing company.

Caulfield said that prior to the pandemic, chip manufacturing growth was only expected to increase by 5 percent over five years. The new forecast is double that. The increased demand from the automotive and electronics sectors has led to global shortages. Competitors Samsung and TSMC have...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
GloFlo has been a bit behind the leading edge for a while now. Not that they are hurting for business, there are plenty of customers that don't always need an industry-leading process node, but I don't know I've ever heard of GloFlo being used for anything bleeding edge since... AMD spun them off.

And maybe it speaks louder--- AMD didn't really start to take off until their exclusivity agreement with GloFlo expired (7nm and better processes)

There's a huge market for them. Not everything needs to be on 7nm or smaller.
Too true. According to the article there's a number of automanufacturers that are being affected by the chip shortage and I doubt they have quite the same needs we see in the PC community.

Become a Patron!
Back