NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti and GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Will Supposedly Include Cryptocurrency Mining Limiter

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA’s long-fabled update to its flagship Ampere graphics card, the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, will not be able to mine Ether at its full potential. The claim stems from notable leaker kopite7kimi, who followed up on a previous tweet regarding the proposed specifications of the Titanium model with the insinuation that it’d carry the same cryptocurrency mining limiter that debuted in the recently released GeForce RTX 3060, which cut its mining efficiency by around 50 percent. VideoCardz has also claimed that NVIDIA will be introducing its limiter to the as-of-yet unannounced GeForce RTX 3070 Ti.

“This information should not be a surprise to anyone, because NVIDIA hinted that future RTX 30 releases may have this technology built into the firmware,” VideoCardz...

Continue reading...

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that the mining versions will be at current scalper prices for regular versions?

Unless they can provide enough supply to make scalping nonprofitable there's no amount of limiters that will make a difference. Whatever people make from mining is pennies compared to the thousand plus made per sale of each scalped card at current prices.

This was the first story I had seen since the cards officially released.

As of yesterday the 3060 has been hacked to defeat the limiter. Appears most MSI cards, and some PNY/Palit cards, when flashed with a specific MSI bios and using dev drivers bypasses the limiter. People getting 46-48 Mh/s on 3060's.

Well, sad to say, I read more on all the supply issues going on. I probably read it before and forgot but it came up again in numerous places around the internet this weekend. Taiwan is in an epic drought right now and have been since around 2019-2020. It's so bad that TSMC is having to truck in water to the plants for orders. So in the end, between scalpers and miners, there's that going on as well.

Well, sad to say, I read more on all the supply issues going on. I probably read it before and forgot but it came up again in numerous places around the internet this weekend. Taiwan is in an epic drought right now and have been since around 2019-2020. It's so bad that TSMC is having to truck in water to the plants for orders. So in the end, between scalpers and miners, there's that going on as well.
I did not have drought on my bingo card

Become a Patron!
Back