Days Gone Writer: Don’t “Complain If a Game Doesn’t Get a Sequel” If You Didn’t Buy It “At F-cking Full Price”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
days-gone-screenshot-motorcycle-pair-1024x576.jpg
Image: Days Gone

Fans of Bend Studios’ action-adventure survival horror title, Days Gone, do not deserve to complain about the lack of a sequel unless they supported the game at launch and paid full price. This is according to Days Gone writer and creative director John Garvin, who was interviewed by David Jaffe on Friday and told the God of War director how much he hated the idea of gamers buying games at a discount. Admitting that his opinions were sure to piss people off, Garvin went on to blame piracy for affecting game sales, suggesting that the best way for gamers to support developers is by purchasing games at full price rather than getting involved later down the line. Garvin’s comments follow reports that Sony had opted not to proceed with a Days Gone sequel due to the unimpressive sales performance of the original.

“I can tell you that when we...

Continue reading...

As soon as companies get a rep for supporting their customers and making a market better for the customers I'll buy their games I like pre order and full or above market cost. Assassin creed I'll order the ultimate editions before discount no problem. Cyberpunk 2077 I'd pre order again and again. Their next iterations or new games with interesting ip.

On the other hand deva like cloud imperium games need a magic trick to make me trust them again.

You make snitzicky broken games and it takes you months to a year to just to get it in a sorta playable state (but still have oodles of bugs) but you whine like a lil beeznick when we vote with our wallets against greedy untalented behaviours?

Yeah, that seems about right. 😏

Whatever happened to those arrogant remarks that these diluted devs/pubs thought at one time that they could say it with pride, no care and with force and they could get away with it without any repercussion?!

"If you don't like it, just don't buy it!"

Uh-huh!

The majority did just that!

This game had mediocre reviews from both "professionals" and gamers when it came out, and it was plagued with numerous debilitating bugs. Seems like sales reflected the quality of the game. Here's a crazy thought: Maybe people were choosing to buy the game at the price they felt it was really worth?

At least I get to complain as I bought the game at launch at full price, too bad it is mediocre and I got stuck on an annoying bossfight so I did not finish the game.

Controls in the game are pretty meh, and some mechanics are silly like the constant refuelling of your bike which gets like 1 mile/gallon or something.

Oh look, another tool who'd rather place the blame with their customers rather than the product itself. You made (by most accounts) a mediocre game plagued with problems. That's not on your customers sir. That's on the creative and technical teams that made the game. Period.

Last edited:
I had never heard of this game before just now, but as far as I am concerned, no game is worth more than ~$29. Most aren't even worth more than $15.

If you want more people to buy a game at launch, price it lower.

I feel like I am starting to sound like a broken record, but as Gabe Newell, someone who knows more about game retailing revenue than pretty much anyone else on the planet has said, studios make more money when they sell games at lower prices. There are very few exceptions to this rule in digital distribution. Every time you lower the price, you more than make up for it in units sold, and since you have essentially zero unit cost this always makes sense.

Last edited:
This guy can eat a bag of d!cks. Also his game was pretty mediocre, and the only reason I know is because it was free on PS+

Become a Patron!
Back