First Season of Amazon’s Lord of the Rings TV Series to Cost $465 Million

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
lord-of-the-rings-the-one-ring-on-map-1024x576.jpg
Image: Warner Bros.

The first season of Amazon’s Lord of the Rings TV series will cost roughly NZ$650 million ($465 million USD). Amazon will be provided a $160 million rebate due to the expense, which requires it to partner with local firms and investment into R&D sectors such as drones, costume design, and healthcare. Originally announced two years ago, the series is expected to run for five seasons and include a potential spin-off series.

This is fantastic, it really is. I think what we have got out of Amazon in terms of the MOU and the industry and how we’re going to train people and our ability to use the footage for tourism, the ability to leverage off a lot of what Amazon is doing is fantastic. This will be the largest television series ever...

Continue reading...

I did not even know they were making this show.
I've been following its progress for a while. News tends to surface about once a quarter. At one point it was a race to begin production before the rights reverted back to the estate. Casting issues and COVID have also played a role in delays. The latest news sounds promising. A major prequel set around a thousand years before the popular material and definitely seems to be taking some material from The Silmarillion. I'm so happy it's not going to be a reboot, recast, re...well you know.

Wow. The budget for the original trilogy was only $281 million USD when it was filmed in the late 1990s. I guess that would put it on equal terms with this as inflation adjusted that would be about $464 million.

Become a Patron!
Back