Resident Evil Village Earns Favorable Reviews

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
resident-evil-village-lady-dimitrescu-daughters-revised-1024x576.jpg
Image: Capcom

There are still plenty of Resident Evil fans out there who believe that the franchise’s transition to a first-person viewpoint was a bad idea, but unluckily for them, Capcom appears to have proven them wrong again based on initial reviews for the survival horror franchise’s eighth installment, which began hitting the web today. A quick glance at Metacritic and other aggregators shows that Resident Evil Village has seemingly secured its place as another strong entry thanks to its haunting atmosphere, larger focus on combat, and heavy inspiration from Shinji Mikami’s last and legendary Resident Evil title, RE4. Resident Evil Village is obviously not perfect, however—a deeper read would suggest that Capcom may have fumbled somewhat on replayability, storytelling, and the depth of heavily hyped characters such as Lady Dimitrescu, among...

Continue reading...

I think people were against the transition to first person because a great deal of mods for the earlier games are to put the female protagonists in sexy outfits or make them naked.

I'm surprised on how it performs on AMD hardware. I could bet AMD is not doing raytracing reflections in all the scene, complementing it with SSR.
Hopefully someone could look more into it.

I'm surprised on how it performs on AMD hardware.

Capcom is a company that could easily garner mixed feelings from all of us and for good reasons but I do have to give them credit for having an engine that is one of the most neutral in terms of not overly favoring one GPU or another. Fans on any side of the fence could use what they prefer and get decent performance with this game and the previous three.

On the flip side though, as this story is about, they do still seem to have difficulty in focusing on a complete experience with the story and finessing various bug issues that have been prevalent in all of the newer games. They seem to nail the atmosphere and characters but then fall short with content or designing the game to allow multiple playthroughs with RE3, and according to early write-ups, this one. In either case, I'm really looking forward to playing this on the weekend and it sounds like I'll be able to go through it a couple of times.

I'm surprised on how it performs on AMD hardware. I could bet AMD is not doing raytracing reflections in all the scene, complementing it with SSR.
Hopefully someone could look more into it.
I honestly could not tell you what the ray tracing in this game is doing. I can't tell the difference between RT on and off. SSR and AO is still an option with RT turned on. The one thing I can say is it tanks performance when turned on.

I honestly could not tell you what the ray tracing in this game is doing. I can't tell the difference between RT on and off. SSR and AO is still an option with RT turned on. The one thing I can say is it tanks performance when turned on.
I have to agree. It seems like whatever it's doing is minimal which is its own mixed blessing. I put in about 90 minutes with it on Sunday, taking my time to enjoy it, got to the castle, and stopped shortly after. On the plus, with my using my OC settings on my 3090 I was averaging 70-80 FPS with everything maxed, anything that added blur or altered the image turned off, and IQ at 1.3. Looked great and played great but I'm with you in not really being sure what RT is happening.

When I read the title of the article I found it quite strange, my go to site bluesnews has a roundup of reviews, and going by the titles the game seems to leave a lot to be desired.

Not that I realy care, I seem to have outgrown the series, gave 7 a shot, when I was in that garage fight where the guy is racing around there in his car I was like, yeah, no this is not it.

When I read the title of the article I found it quite strange, my go to site bluesnews has a roundup of reviews, and going by the titles the game seems to leave a lot to be desired.

Not that I realy care, I seem to have outgrown the series, gave 7 a shot, when I was in that garage fight where the guy is racing around there in his car I was like, yeah, no this is not it.
It has some moments. No real spoilers here since what I'm about to mention is in the demo but I found the beginning sections where you run into these shambling buildings as hoards of Lycans are busting through the walls genuinely scary since you don't really know which ones will get through first. Then, in the castle, while trying to escape the dungeons you're constantly on the lookout to the shadows for whatever will crawl out of them. Granted I'm not sure what the rest of the game will entail but so far it's been refreshing from the repetitive zombie/soldier killing spree that 2 and 3 were. I agree about that garage though, there are moments in all the games that don't feel like they really belong.

DF pretty much confirms that ray tracing isn't doing much of anything in this game aside from tanking performance. Probably due to the console versions.

DF pretty much confirms that ray tracing isn't doing much of anything in this game aside from tanking performance. Probably due to the console versions.

I'm still loving it. Since I don't have much cooking or gardening projects to do this weekend I'm really looking forward to having more time with it. @Brent_Justice put up a great review for it today that I could only glance at this morning but it looks really in depth for the settings.

Become a Patron!
Back