NVIDIA to End Support of Kepler GPUs with R470 Drivers

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-ti-wallpaper-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA’s upcoming R470 driver series will be the last to support graphics cards leveraging green team’s nearly decade-old GPU microarchitecture, Kepler. This is according to new data center driver documentation shared by the company, which noted that post-R470 driver releases will only include support for Maxwell GPUs and newer. NVIDIA’s R470 driver series is a long-term driver support branch, however, so users of GeForce GTX 700 Series and other Kepler products can expect bug fixes and other updates for at least a few more years.

Image: NVIDIA

This does mean that the NVIDIA 470 series will be a long-term driver support branch...

Continue reading...

I guess that rules my old bfg 480 right out then.

They already ruled out my old 770M in one of my laptops.. Shame too as it played WoW still relatively well @ 1080p.. Now I get a "you're Graphics Card is no longer supported" message everytime I open it. The game still works, but that annoying message.. Grrrrrr...

I looked for a long time for a way to get current drivers to work and found a way --- https://www.techpowerup.com/nvcleanstall/
It won't allow DX12 to work (it's a hardware thing with WoW's DX12 implementation) but it significantly improved my FPS.

It's never fun to see dropped support, but Kepler had a good run.

The fastest Kepler GPU's were what, the original Titan's? (Titan, Titan Black, Titan Z?) Tand they have non-SLI performance in line with a Radeon RX480, while using a huge chunk more power and creating lots more heat and fan noise.

It's about time.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back