NVIDIA to End Support of Kepler GPUs with R470 Drivers

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-ti-wallpaper-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA’s upcoming R470 driver series will be the last to support graphics cards leveraging green team’s nearly decade-old GPU microarchitecture, Kepler. This is according to new data center driver documentation shared by the company, which noted that post-R470 driver releases will only include support for Maxwell GPUs and newer. NVIDIA’s R470 driver series is a long-term driver support branch, however, so users of GeForce GTX 700 Series and other Kepler products can expect bug fixes and other updates for at least a few more years.

Image: NVIDIA

This does mean that the NVIDIA 470 series will be a long-term driver support branch...

Continue reading...

They already ruled out my old 770M in one of my laptops.. Shame too as it played WoW still relatively well @ 1080p.. Now I get a "you're Graphics Card is no longer supported" message everytime I open it. The game still works, but that annoying message.. Grrrrrr...

I looked for a long time for a way to get current drivers to work and found a way --- https://www.techpowerup.com/nvcleanstall/
It won't allow DX12 to work (it's a hardware thing with WoW's DX12 implementation) but it significantly improved my FPS.

It's never fun to see dropped support, but Kepler had a good run.

The fastest Kepler GPU's were what, the original Titan's? (Titan, Titan Black, Titan Z?) Tand they have non-SLI performance in line with a Radeon RX480, while using a huge chunk more power and creating lots more heat and fan noise.

It's about time.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back