Firefox vs Google Chrome Battle it Out!

IceDigger

Quasi-regular
Who doesn't like a good fight?

In this ring we have the new Google Chrome 76 vs Firefox 68. Phoronix is having them battle on Ubuntu 18.04 hosting a fancy schmancy Ryzen 3900x!

Like usual they have a bunch of graphs and perty pictures for you to look at.

Hooray for competition constantly making them better!

Benchmarks Galore!

Last edited:
I switched to Firefox a couple months ago and honestly have noticed zero difference. I try to get away from google products as much as possible, getting tired of their ad/privacy garbage.

I switched to Firefox a couple months ago and honestly have noticed zero difference. I try to get away from google products as much as possible, getting tired of their ad/privacy garbage.

Agreed.

Why does browser performance even matter?

Pages render pretty much instantaneously these days regardless of browser even on pretty old hardware.

Any browser comparison should focus more on what is really important: privacy.

What Z said.

The performance of actual usage is indistinguishable. I suppose if you had some heavy processing app in the browser it could matter, but I know I don't. It's a browser, with lite mostly-idle apps (webmail, for example), and static pages.

So then the question is which browser does all the other things you care about. They both have a serviceable UI. They both have extensive extension libraries. One is made by an advertising company.

There was a time when Chrome was leaps and bounds better than FF on a technical level - when FF was wasting all its time faffing about with UI changes-du-jour. But now the FF team is actually making the browser better, and honestly, it's quite good.

If the downside is that it loses on a benchmark. we need to evaluate how important that benchmark is to our actual usage. I'd put forth, none of those really seem to matter. I can do the same things side by side, and they seem pretty much the same.

/shrug

I agree with @Zarathustra but I'd add security as well, even though that somewhat falls into privacy but it's not just google I'm worried about.

Become a Patron!
Back