NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Founders Edition Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner1-1-1024x470.jpg

Introduction

It’s “Ti”ME for the RTX 3070 to get “TIE’d.”  At Computex 2021 NVIDIA announced both the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti and the GeForce RTX 3070 Ti.  On June 2nd we reviewed the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition with an MSRP of $1,199.  Our review compared the video card with the GeForce RTX 3080, GeForce RTX 3090, and AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT. 

Today we have the new NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Founders Edition which is launching today.  Partner cards should be available the day after.  The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Founders Edition is landing with an MSRP of $599.  For comparison, the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Micron really needs to start making/supplying 2GB GDDR6X chips.

Still massively disappointed by the efficiency. I'm assuming these are all the 3080 mobile chips that didn't bin well.

For 20% more money, it should be reasonably better and just isn't.

Micron really needs to start making/supplying 2GB GDDR6X chips.

Still massively disappointed by the efficiency. I'm assuming these are all the 3080 mobile chips that didn't bin well.

For 20% more money, it should be reasonably better and just isn't.
GA 104 chip. Not the GA 102 that the 3080 uses.

Yar, not sure if I can get excited for any of these GPU launches. Most excited I've been recently for a GPU was having my queue come up for a EVGA 3080 Hybrid at MSRP (which promptly replaced my 3090).

Mobile variants are typically not related to their desktop parts (to my knowledge). Power constraints and all.
Sometimes they are - just with a different TDP or thermal caps. With all the boost algorithms in play these days, you could drop a full 3090 in a laptop and it would run — just your performance would be dependent on the cooling solution and power delivery.

Somewhat dissapointed. Looking on how the RTX3080Ti turned out, I was hoping for something much closer to the RTX3080. It doesn't even beat the RX6800 in most cases.

Retail price wise, the RTX3080 is a much better value. Its a lot faster, and with similar temps.

I would be away when all these things come out... I want to get back home to my computer and my local microcenter!!! Great review Brent, interesting card as well. Hopefully availability will be better... fingers crossed.

I don't think I'd consider this card even if I could get it at retail price.

I don't think I'd consider this card even if I could get it at retail price.
My hope is to get a EVGA variant and then step it up to a 3080 ti. At this point msrp and availability of anything is basically a myth so I’ll take one if I can get one, as it will be an upgrade of my 6700XT that I massively overpaid for as well.

My hope is to get a EVGA variant and then step it up to a 3080 ti. At this point msrp and availability of anything is basically a myth so I’ll take one if I can get one, as it will be an upgrade of my 6700XT that I massively overpaid for as well.
Did you que up today?

Did you que up today?
I signed up for the new egg shuffle. I’m not evga elite and too lazy to go make like 1000 posts on their forums to get it for free. Guess I should have registered my 1660 Super or 980 when I bought them…

Mobile variants are typically not related to their desktop parts (to my knowledge). Power constraints and all.
Yep. Pascal was a notable exception. It was a big deal at the time that the mobile chips were the same as the desktop.

Good review and conclusions. 8gb for a $600 card, not street value really does indeed seem limiting. Seems like the best real bang per buck if one can get one is either the 6800 XT (only $49 more) or the 3080 FE, $100 more but way way more performance and at least 10gb of vram.

Now I do think Nvidia is indeed in a rock and hard spot, the card does use more expensive ram, higher binned die with a little bit more cuda cores, better cooler plus at a time where supply constraints, weaker dollar, inflation, shipping costs (sky rocketed). One really just needs to decide if today is a good day for the price for these cards. Waiting maybe not a good option either as inflation appears to be occurring and at a faster rate than expected. I would recommend the 6800 but more so the 6800 XT over this as well as a 3080 (If all were at MSRP which is a tall order to get).

https://www.nicehash.com/blog/post/nvidia-rtx-3070-ti-mining-hashrate

"NVIDIA RTX 3070 Ti mining performance
We can confirm the first DaggerHashimoto (Ethereum) mining hash rate is around 37 MH/s. This is most likely with Lite Hash Rate limiter active.

The RTX 3070 Ti can perform quite well on KAWPOW (Ravencoin) with 34 MH/s and Octopus (Conflux) at 65 MH/s algorithms which still makes it a profitable mining GPU."

I have been hearing rumours the FE card is pretty rare, to the point that there are claims Nvidia only launched enough to be able to say they launched them but they leave the real launch to the board partners so those can make a quick cash grab.

This seems to be mostly related to the fact that there are almost no cards to be found on Ebay and such, while the other cards are still plentifull there.

Become a Patron!
Back