District 9 and Elysium Director Neill Blomkamp Working on AAA Multiplayer Shooter

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
neill-blomkamp-gunzilla-games-portrait-1024x576.jpg
Image: Gunzilla Games

Neill Blomkamp, the director behind films such as District 9 and Elysium, has officially entered the video games industry. Speaking to IGN, Blomkamp confirmed that he is working on a AAA multiplayer shooter with Gunzilla Games, a new studio established last year comprising talent from notable outfits such as Crytek, Ubisoft, and EA. As Gunzilla Games’ Chief Visionary Officer, Blomkamp will serve as a “an egalitarian version of being a film director” to help the development team shape the aesthetic of its new game. Gunzilla hasn’t shared any real details about its project, but Blomkamp’s resume and history as a filmmaker suggests that it will have strong sci-fi elements and a rich narrative.

The flood gates are finally open: @NeillBlomkamp, the Oscar-nominated director of...

Continue reading...

I'm still bummed we'll never get to see his Alien movie with Sigourney. I was really looking forward to that.

I do want to see what he does with a fresh ip he guides along a AAA gaming title.

Why do you need a hollywood director / writer for a multiplayer title where the narrative is irrelevant?

Better yet: why do we need another multiplayer shooter?

Oh sh1t, I hadn't even heard about that.
Yeah, they were working together on it in between Prometheus and Covenant, and the powers that be decided to cancel it and focus on Covenant instead. Here's a decent story on it. I was following it for a few years between 2015-2019 and was pretty pissed when it got canceled.

Become a Patron!
Back