Amazon’s New World MMO Is Killing NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Graphics Cards

Memory on both sides of the PCB has been a thing since before they were called 'GPUs'.

My interpretation was based on the statement below that 3090 was unique in its design

A dual-sided memory will allow this board to feature up to 24GB of memory. The RTX 3080, also based on GA102 GPU, should only need 10 single-sided modules

Dang, when something can tank one of the fastest gaming cards on the planet, well that's pretty bad. Either way, I had no interest in this anyway. MMO, pass, Amazon, even harder pass.

Tinfoil hat theory: It's secretly using GPUs to mine data for nav computers for Bezos Mars mission.

Memory on both sides of the PCB has been a thing since before they were called 'GPUs'.
My GeForce2 ultra has memory on both sides. I think my voodoo 2 12mbs do too, but I’d have to go open up a case to verify.

I don't think so.

The 3080 ti is like a traditional GPU

the 3090 has extra memory that needs additional cooling & monitoring

There is no additional "monitoring" with more RAM. I have no idea where you get that idea from, but it's not true. Yes, the RTX 3090 needs more cooling but that's primarily for the additional VRAM on the PCB. The RTX 3080 Ti is so close to the RTX 3090 in terms of specs and power consumption that it proves NVIDIA could probably get away with the same cooling solution on the RTX 3090 if it weren't for having double the physical memory of the 3080 Ti.

That's not it. The reason this likely occurs on RTX 3090's (EVGA XC3 and FTW3 cards specifically) is due to differences in voltage configuration which do not always allow for the thermal protection in the GPU to protect it before damage occurs in this particular instance.

Last edited:
J2C did a video on this issue. He used an EVGA FTW3 3090 and an MSI 3090. There was definitely some strange behavior going on with the EVGA card, but not the MSI card. Whatever it is seems to be effecting only EVGA cards.

EVGA is upholding all warranty claims and RMA's already going out.
Amazon released a patch for a problem they claim they didnt have.

FTW3 cards are bleeding edge, even EVGA gives you a 500W+ Bios if you want one for the 3090.

FTW3 cards are bleeding edge, even EVGA gives you a 500W+ Bios if you want one for the 3090.
Along with a disclaimer that you're pretty much on your own should anything happen with using it(unless that recently changed). I remember when that came out because I was chatting with David about the cards with the custom BIOS/PCB options and he told me about that one(I was bragging about the 420 or 450 one I got for my Strix). I haven't looked at it recently but I remember reading about it in their forums back around Nov-Dec. It was actually one of the first things I thought about when this story popped up and wondered if the game was somehow accessing something it shouldn't. That doesn't seem to be the case but I did wonder.

J2C did a video on this issue. He used an EVGA FTW3 3090 and an MSI 3090. There was definitely some strange behavior going on with the EVGA card, but not the MSI card. Whatever it is seems to be effecting only EVGA cards.

Yeah when I watched that I kept thinking something is wrong with the EVGA firmware to allow it to overcurrent way beyond what he set in afterburner. The MSI card didn't have the same problem. EVGA can probably fix this with a firmware update. I did think it was funny when he tried to hook up the thermal probe and it burned and smoked.

It seems like the old issue that I've mentioned before with some odd ball games and weird GPU's or hardware combinations. I've physically seen it happen before. However, the difference here is there seems to be some oddity with EVGA's fan controller based on the article I linked above. I have no way to verify my theory at this time, but it's as good a guess as any I suppose.

That being said, those of you who are running a 500w vBIOS on your EVGA cards are likely at greater risk than those who aren't.

Become a Patron!
Back