Lucasfilm Hires YouTube Deepfaker Who Fixed Its Weird-Looking Luke, Leia, and Tarkin Star Wars Cameos

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
luke-skywalker-the-mandalorian-original-vs.-deepfake-1024x576.jpg
Image: Shamook

A YouTuber who specializes in deepfakes has earned themselves a job at Lucasfilm after embarrassing the experts at Industrial Light & Magic with a series of deepfake videos that demonstrate how much better Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa, and Wilhuff Tarkin could have looked in modern Star Wars releases such as The Mandalorian and Rogue One. Shamook’s new position was confirmed in a statement delivered by Lucasfilm this week, which noted that ILM has been “investing in both machine learning and A.I. as a means to produce compelling visual effects work.” While it’s the Star Wars content that brought them the most attention, Shamook’s deepfakes channel features many other interesting deepfakes that show different actors in notable roles. These include Tom Cruise as Iron Man and Will Smith...

Continue reading...

Leia IMO was the worst of all and its so much better with deepfake
Lukes face looked like the Jedi Knight game, particularly the eyes. Deepfake looks much more natural and less fuzzy.
Tarkin original actually looks pretty good IMO but somewhat fuzzy at times. Big improvement with deepfake.

I have been following the guy for a while. The deep fake "Fix" videos are great, but the face replacement still look fake to me.

Last edited:
Yeah, back when that episode of The Mandolorian came out this guy had already put out a bunch of different images that I saw on GFR and other movie sites. He's pretty good.

I saw one with Sebastian Stan replacing Mark Hammil in ROTJ, but it didn't look right, I was surprised as the resemblance is remarkable in real life. I don't think it was the same guy though.

I saw one with Sebastian Stan replacing Mark Hammil in ROTJ, but it didn't look right, I was surprised as the resemblance is remarkable in real life. I don't think it was the same guy though.
I saw that too and I'm not so sure either.

Become a Patron!
Back