Canon Faces Lawsuit for Disabling Printer Features after Ink Runs Out

Still you own the printer it should be up to you what to do with it. And even if you can break the printer with ink, disabling the scanning function because no ink? How is that even remotely related?

BTW on models where the tank is separate from the print head, It might clog the print head, but that doesn't break the printer itself. As the print head is also a replaceable item that canon sells separately for such printers.
I agree. Just responding to the fact that you think using bad ink can't destroy a printer. I do agree, if you want to use crap ink, by all means, you should be allowed to. I do not think the manufacturer is doing you a favor by locking you into name brand ink, or by jacking up the price of the cartridges by including a print head on it.

Its such a bizarre business... Business practices ruined the market really. All that's left is lawsuits to " fix" the mess. And they don't of course.

All they need to do is release a bios update to fix this. Wait for the lawsuite to disappear or settle. Then discover a vulnerability in the "fix" and patch it out back to normal with a loose promise to fix it on non deprecated printers they still sell ink for as a workaround.

Its such a bizarre business... Business practices ruined the market really. All that's left is lawsuits to " fix" the mess. And they don't of course.
Not to mention the environmental impact. How many of the used ink tanks actually return to the manufacturer to be recycled? 1%?

My ancient HP All in one was like this. Run out of any color of ink, and the thing became useless.
A little over ten years ago we had a Brother AIO color printer. The stupid thing would wake us up in the middle of the night to auto-clean the jets. Why then, who knows? The worst printer we've ever owned. It used more ink up that way than when we printed and much the same as the HP you're mentioning it wouldn't allow printing if a color ran out.

Become a Patron!
Back