Ridley Scott Blames Millennials and Their “F*cking Cellphones” for The Last Duel’s Flop

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
the-last-duel-poster-cropped-1024x576.jpg
Image: 20th Century Studios

Ridley Scott’s latest epic, The Last Duel, flopped hard when it released exclusively in theaters in late October, earning only $27 million worldwide on a $100 million budget. Scott has now aired his grievances with The Hollywood Reporter, telling the publication what he thinks was the reason for the film’s horrible box office performance: millennials. According to the director behind Alien, Blade Runner, and other iconic films, millennials don’t appreciate theatrical experiences anymore because they’re too glued to their smartphones.

“I think what it boils down to — what we’ve got today [are] the audiences who were brought up on these f*cking cellphones,” Scott said. “The millennian [sic] do not ever want to be taught anything unless you’re told it on a cellphone.”

“This is a broad stroke, but I think we’re dealing with it right now...

Continue reading...

Hmm... that is a problem, but not the reason the movie bombed.

I haven't watched it, and it doesn't even look all that interesting to me. I have a feeling I'm not alone.

Well, I can tell him why the movie flopped, and it's not cellphones. It's the fact that I have not even heard about this until now. How could it make money if people don't even know it exists?

Hmm... No dragons, no orgs, no magic, no titans, barely any VFX, etc., hell, even the trailer had me drifting off but yeah, let's blame others than ourselves.

Yeah, the only reason I knew this thing existed was from blips on IMDB. It never gained my interest either. I think maybe I saw one TV ad that I can't remember.

To be honest, I think Ridley is getting pretty out of touch with things. A couple weeks back I tried to stomach watching Prometheus/Covenant again and couldn't make it through and ended up watching the fan edit I have instead. It's a different world and he doesn't seem to be adapting to it but a real ad campaign could've helped this one a bit more. A $100M to make it and maybe they spent $5 to advertise it.

Hmm... No dragons, no orgs, no magic, no titans, barely any VFX, etc., hell, even the trailer had me drifting off but yeah, let's blame others than ourselves.
You did better than me, I never even made it to check the trailer out.

Ridley Scott is completely out of touch with reality. Him thinking he could write an Alien prequel is enough evidence of that.

I had seen the trailer before, didn't make me want to watch it at all.

It's a movie about an alleged/real r*** told in 3 parts

I wonder why it flopped...

Yeah, the only reason I knew this thing existed was from blips on IMDB. It never gained my interest either. I think maybe I saw one TV ad that I can't remember.

To be honest, I think Ridley is getting pretty out of touch with things. A couple weeks back I tried to stomach watching Prometheus/Covenant again and couldn't make it through and ended up watching the fan edit I have instead. It's a different world and he doesn't seem to be adapting to it but a real ad campaign could've helped this one a bit more. A $100M to make it and maybe they spent $5 to advertise it.
Prometheus isn't great but it's not as horrendous as people often make it out to be. That being said, it is confusing at times. However, Covenant shouldn't even exist. It's ****ing terrible. It makes absolutely no sense and works too hard to connect Prometheus to the larger Alien franchise.

People were super hopeful because Ridley Scott directed the first movie. But they forget that he wasn't the guy who wrote it. That's a key distinction. I have no problem with Ridley Scott as a director, but he should stay as far from writing Alien scripts as possible.

Didn't know it existed ( this movie) don't know if I would be interested. That being said, well elites complaining about their tools is pretty disgusting to read. They know full well the manipulation of a viral campaign, and whatever algorithm crap the use to ever so gently bend the masses, letting algorithms run amok, and they act shocked at unexpected outcomes while they are getting expected ones all the time.

People were super hopeful because Ridley Scott directed the first movie. But they forget that he wasn't the guy who wrote it.
It sucks that I can't remember where I found it all those years ago but at one point before Prometheus came out I came across a leaked synopsis online. It was around 1000+ words long. The overall gist was what we saw at the beginning of Prometheus but they actually go to the homeworld, not the outpost planet The crew meets the engineers who begin a dialogue to help humanity but members of the crew feel that info is being withheld and decide to snoop around the planet. Along the way they find/hack a database to steal information which, of course, infuriates the engineers who then release the Aliens as a clean-up solution which then explains what the engineers were using them for. However, the pesky humans screw up some kind of safety measure and the Aliens end up running amok the homeworld wiping everything out. Meanwhile, the surviving crew manages to get on a ship to head back to earth with the stolen info, and, of course, an unwanted guest onboard. In essence keeping with the Greek story plus we can see how the plot was cannibalized and split into both movies.

I always recommend giving this fan-edit a watch. It's not perfect either and definitely, has flaws but it incorporates some of the deleted scenes I feel that do contribute to the movie. I also like the flashback technique used to tie both movies together even though at times it's a bit clunky.

Hate to say it but it seems like ridley Scott missed the freaking boat here. I love some of his work but in a world of online streaming everything this movie needed some viral advertisement to grab the market and it simply failed.

It may be super interesting and we'll acted but I barely even heard of it before it came out. If a near Althouse piece like Dune was can do well ridley Scott and whatever this movie was doesn't have a chance.

Isn’t it the studio’s job to promote movies? I saw the ad for this 3X and two of them were a shortened version.

I only go to the movies once in a blue moon, and would cerrrtainly not go to this one if I had know it existed in the first place.

He is still not completely wrong though, also maybe he can shoot his next movie in portrait mode so the millenials feel more at ease.

Become a Patron!
Back