Comcast Successfully Tests Prototype 10G Modem for Delivering 4+ Gbps Speeds to Home Users

Had Verizon fios TV and internet... then the other company bought them and I switched to spectrum and went streaming only for tv. It was fine until the intro pricing died and incase paying nearly 100 a month for service. Switched back to fios data only at 1/1 gig and 75 a month. So far so good. If I can get 4gb for a competitive price I'll look when I want to upgrade my router.

Had Verizon fios TV and internet... then the other company bought them and I switched to spectrum and went streaming only for tv. It was fine until the intro pricing died and incase paying nearly 100 a month for service. Switched back to fios data only at 1/1 gig and 75 a month. So far so good. If I can get 4gb for a competitive price I'll look when I want to upgrade my router.
I'm jealous... I wish that was an option... I'm even too far out to get DSL. I'm stuck with Optimum or go Sat. Never gonna go Sat. so I'm screwed..

I wonder how they wire these.

Comcast themselves will probably use a proprietary all in one Modem/Router/WAP box that most tech savvy people will want to avoid like the plague.

I presume there will have to be 3rd party DOCSIS 4.0 modem only solutions though. I wonder what outputs they will have in order to connect to the router. 10GBaseT? Some of that 5Gig nonsense?

I still refuse to recognize any intermediate speed existing between 1 gig and 10 gig.

I've been waiting for availability for 9 months now... It'll be 1 year in April...
Good luck.

I’m still jealous of all these people who have to suffer through lowly 400/35 at $50/mon, but Starlink does make things bearable.

Yah I have Fios too. I hate Frontier. But Fios is rock solid, as long as you don't need their tech support. I just remember my old cablemodem (then Comast, now Spectrum. Same cable box in my alley) and I would lose internet every time it rained hard. Water would get into the alley cable box and we were screwed until it dried out. The cable TV still worked though, wonder what that was about. No amount of complaints or pleas for help from me or my neighbors produced anything. But here we are 20 years later, and it's still the same leaky box in my alley, covered in stickers of whatever the current company name is today.

Funny thing is, the Fios fiber access box in the alley is all jacked up too. I think a trash truck ran over it, it doesn't close any more and the lid just sits on top. I have look in there and seen it completely flooded with water.... yet everything still works. Fiber optic FTW I guess.

Yah I have Fios too. I hate Frontier. But Fios is rock solid, as long as you don't need their tech support. I just remember my old cablemodem (then Comast, now Spectrum. Same cable box in my alley) and I would lose internet every time it rained hard. Water would get into the alley cable box and we were screwed until it dried out. The cable TV still worked though, wonder what that was about. No amount of complaints or pleas for help from me or my neighbors produced anything. But here we are 20 years later, and it's still the same leaky box in my alley, covered in stickers of whatever the current company name is today.

Funny thing is, the Fios fiber access box in the alley is all jacked up too. I think a trash truck ran over it, it doesn't close any more and the lid just sits on top. I have look in there and seen it completely flooded with water.... yet everything still works. Fiber optic FTW I guess.

I've had mixed experiences with FiOS tech support.

I find it kind of frustrating that you have to call them to reset your DHCP lease if you swap a router. That was really frustrating when I had to troubleshoot a router problem a while back and was swapping back and forth a lot.

I guess I could have spoofed the same Mac address, but that's a pain too.

I actually called their support line once, and the woman who answered was shocked when I asked her to reset my DHCP lease. She told me she had never had a customer use the proper terminology before :p

In general FiOS reliability and performance are second to none. In my ~13 years as a customer the service has literally never gone down, even during a major town wide power outage. I keep the ONT box and my router and AP's on my UPS which kept them up until I could get the generator running and it just kept working as if nothing was awry.

In those 13 years they have also always given me full advertised speeds.

Their billing practices and online account management leave something to be desired though. Try to remove the router rental from your bill, and see what I mean. There is no option in the web based system for it, so you have to call them and request it, and it takes being a little forceful to get them to agree as they are CONVINCED that your own equipment couldn't possibly perform as well as their crappy consumer router/AP's for gigabit.

Their bill pay website also locks me out about every third time I use it because it flags my network wide VPN connection exit IP as "suspicious".

So it's a mixed blessing. Comcast is also in my area, but it's no competition there. Verizon FiOS hands down.

Last edited:
I'll consider myself lucky. Barely a mile or two from the Comast CO in our town. I can get 600+/~15 Mbps including basic cable and a landline for around $214/mo at truly unlimited data. Could be better, could be far worse. They offer over 1 GBps and occasionally hit over 800 Mbps but we're happy enough as is.

I'll consider myself lucky. Barely a mile or two from the Comast CO in our town. I can get 600+/~15 Mbps including basic cable and a landline for around $214/mo at truly unlimited data. Could be better, could be far worse. They offer over 1 GBps and occasionally hit over 800 Mbps but we're happy enough as is.
Honestly their up stream speeds are normally fine unless you have to do heavy video conferencing and moving around gigs of data when time is a factor. I went with the gigabit up and down stream from fios after having to deal with moving ISO's around too much. Normally you can do it via RDP but when security is tight it's best just to do it from the laptop then copy them to the server.

Become a Patron!
Back