13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K Raptor Lake Flagship Could Feature Clock Speeds of Up to 5.8 GHz

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Think the 12th Gen Intel Core i9-12900KS with its boost frequencies of up to 5.50 GHz is fast? Wait until you see what blue team is supposedly cooking up for its next generation of desktop processors. New rumors shared by leaker @OneRaichu suggest that Alder Lake's successor, Raptor Lake, will boast exciting increases in clock speeds of around 200 to 300 MHz.

Go to post

That's what I was thinking - for Raptor Lake, these speed boosts are intriguing, and mean that Intel's ~10nm '7' process still has some legs.

Really more concerned about the power draw involved, as well as the endurance at these higher speeds.

I want to see how HOT this gets and how much POWER it needs to hit those numbers. Clearly Intel is a bit shook by AMD's 3d vCache.

Positive as the 3D Vcache is, it's not terribly practical given how it limits clockspeeds. It does certainly show how throwing cache at the problem can help, though!

It's just standard marketing - announce something big and bold and baseless if your competition one-ups you. It's strictly to keep the shareholders from getting too spooked and triggering a sell-off.

Yes 3dvcache limits your overall clock speed. But in the world of gaming clock speed isn't everything. IPC and clearly Cache are vastly important as well.

Now I am not in the market for this particular CPU (the 3dvcache one) but the next generation I am wondering and hoping that they resolve the speed issue and get the 3dvcache (or just large cache spaces) properly configured and maintain or increase clock speed and IPC.

I can see it now. Someone tries to show off their new rig in a year or two.

Hey dude! What's with the three power supplies?
One is for the CPU, the other is for the GPU, and the last is for everything else.
Dude! What's with the glow coming from the closet?
Oh, that's nothing, it's just my mini-reactor to power it all.

Yes 3dvcache limits your overall clock speed. But in the world of gaming clock speed isn't everything. IPC and clearly Cache are vastly important as well.
It's really up to the game - and honestly, a game that's faster on a 5800X3D that's slower on a 12900K and even slower on a 5800X, was poorly optimized. No two ways about it.

Now I am not in the market for this particular CPU (the 3dvcache one) but the next generation I am wondering and hoping that they resolve the speed issue and get the 3dvcache (or just large cache spaces) properly configured and maintain or increase clock speed and IPC.
Well, they have to. There's a reason that there are not '3D' versions of the 5900X and 5950X - they'd literally be no faster than the 5800X3D for games, perhaps slower, while simultaneously being no faster than the current versions at anything outside of gaming.

And remember that the 12900K is still faster all around, especially outside of gaming. Not really cost efficient, but it's priced like the best of both worlds.

That's why this is more of a 'hmmm'. Great deal for those looking to upgrade on AM4 for gaming specifically, not so much otherwise.

I will also say after having watched a few reviews that the idea of a power / thermal / noise constrained gaming build really looks like a solid application for the 5800X3D. Maybe ~100W under load to dissipate, easy peasy for a 240mm AIO, and you'd be off to the races.

I can see it now. Someone tries to show off their new rig in a year or two.

Hey dude! What's with the three power supplies?
One is for the CPU, the other is for the GPU, and the last is for everything else.
Dude! What's with the glow coming from the closet?
Oh, that's nothing, it's just my mini-reactor to power it all.
Make sure you wear your gaming edition lead lined vest and crotch protection flap.

Become a Patron!
Back