Intel Hops on the Ray Tracing Train

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Intel-XE-RT-1024x576.png

We all know that Nvidia starting this train rolling earlier in the year. A lot of people speculated about if it would be another one of those features that came and went. Still might but seems like it really is taking hold. Recently we’ve had announcements from Sony that they’ll have some sort of AMD dedicated Ray Tracing hardware. It’s also been rumored to be in Project Scarlett.

Now Intel has stated they’ll be jumping on. According to WCCFTECH Intel has revealed some interesting details about their upcoming XE series. It seems that they are targeting 1080p 60fps but also going to include Ray Tracing Support. This falls in line with speculation that Intel will enter the discreet GPU at more of a mid level tier. Last week Raja Koduri also teased a “THINKXE” tweet alluding to June 2020. Looks like we won’t have that much longer to wait.

edit: Update 10/14/2019 Intel has stated this is not true. Please see Tsing's update post here: https://forums.thefpsreview.com/thr...ray-tracing-support-on-discrete-xe-gpus.1028/

Last edited:
Intel needs to make sure they can do decent rasterization performance before they go around throwing ray-tracing **** in there. First let us see if they can even make a decent GPU that actually stands a chance of competing with RTG and nVidia in rasterization.

at the moment, I'm an AMD guy all around .. but for the sake of competition ..I hope Intel nails it out of the gate

Intel needs to make sure they can do decent rasterization performance before they go around throwing ray-tracing **** in there. First let us see if they can even make a decent GPU that actually stands a chance of competing with RTG and nVidia in rasterization.

Feel somewhat the same. At first when I saw the mention of ray tracing I thought "Woo hoo!" but then I saw the slightly vague references of Esports gaming and 1080p 60fps and got a sinking feeling. We'll see what happens. In the end just glad to see another player back in the fold.

That's great and all, but the are going to need chips that are 10-15 times faster than what they have for this to be of any practical significance what so ever :p

I'm actually very interested to see what both Intel and AMD can bring to the table with regards to Ray Tracing. I've been impressed with what Nvidia has done so far considering it is only there first gen with hardware support. I would expect Ampere to be at least twice as fast in this department alone. So both Intel and AMD will have there work cut out.

Become a Patron!
Back