Microsoft Rolls Out Windows 11 KB5020044 Update to Address Reduced Performance in Some Games and Applications

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft has begun rolling out KB5020044, a new preview update for Windows 11 that introduces a lengthy list of improvements to the relatively new OS, including an anticipated fix for an issue that could potentially result in reduced performance and stuttering in certain games and applications.

See full article...

Anyone tested this yet? Not that it really matters, I'm not on 11 and have no immediate plans to be.

My system didn't show any optional updates, but I've not noticed any issues with lower frames in the 2-3 games I play either.

I still can't get 22H2 to load on my gaming desktop. I recall 22H1 being a similar pain, may have to rebuild it soon. Don't use 11 on much else, it's my only box with Intel's hybrid arch (Alder Lake/12th-gen+).

I'll give it another year before I jump into 11. Still happy with 10. Probably the 1st time in well over a decade that I'm not even tinkering with a new OS on at least one rig but everything is working the way it should right now and I just don't want any unexpected OS-related issues.

Well, my 5700G system upgraded to 11 last night without hassle. That system I've been using the past week to test memory - got a Patriot 4400 CL19 kit running solid at 4400 CL19, and a Team Group 3600 CL14 kit running at 4133 CL19, the latter of which was installed when I did the upgrade to 11, over RDP.

Yes, I did a Windows upgrade over RDP on a system with overclocked RAM. Fight me!

Well, my 5700G system upgraded to 11 last night without hassle. That system I've been using the past week to test memory - got a Patriot 4400 CL19 kit running solid at 4400 CL19, and a Team Group 3600 CL14 kit running at 4133 CL19, the latter of which was installed when I did the upgrade to 11, over RDP.

Yes, I did a Windows upgrade over RDP on a system with overclocked RAM. Fight me!
I mean on a server with a management interface (cimc, rilo, drac, etc) sure. On a random consumer desktop... you are a brave one

I'll give it another year before I jump into 11. Still happy with 10. Probably the 1st time in well over a decade that I'm not even tinkering with a new OS on at least one rig but everything is working the way it should right now and I just don't want any unexpected OS-related issues.
While I've been using Win10 since launch, I actually did not put it on my main system until 2022. I had a chance to go straight to Win11, but after using Win11 in a VM for several months I decided against that. On my next system I will probably roll Win11 just cuz Win10 stopped getting real updates (no tabbed File Explorer, gimped DirectStorage, no Dark Mode for Task Manager, CPU Task Scheduler not updated for AMD Zen 4 or Intel Alder Lake and Raptor Lake, etc), and I want my gaming OS to be as up-to-date as possible. Honestly by the time I get a new machine Win10 might be EoL anyways. Win10 took 3-4 years after launch to get decent in my opinion, so I'm expecting the same for Win11.

Plus Win11 is not gonna be my main OS, so whatever issues I have with it will bother me less when I'm not living in that OS all the time. After Win7, Windows OSes became my "console OS." Nowadays I only boot into Windows to play games that don't work well in Linux (ie most of them LAWLZ), to run software that I can't run in Linux (and don't wanna run in a VM or through something like WINE), or if I otherwise have something I need to do/check in Windows. I basically treat Windows as a gaming console, so to speak. Win10 on my main system is currently my secondary OS, and the same will happen with Win11 whenever I eventually move to it. By that's not gonna be any dang time soon.

On my next system I will probably roll Win11 just cuz Win10 stopped getting real updates
To be fair, I wouldn't call those "real" updates on Win11 either. For as many things as they might seem to improve, they regress in others. And so far that hasn't been zero-sum - the regressions are winning by a landslide.

I'd drop back to Win10 if I had to re-install, but given that I only use my PC for a few specific things, I can't be bothered to do a downgrade.

I will say, I just had to battle with a couple of cheapy laptops -- needed Windows out at a site to talk to some industrial controllers. So I picked up a couple out at Best Buy and ...

Holy $+%*

Can't set up without a Microsoft account - well we didn't have internet at the site, so at least once that failed it let us create a local accounnt. Then we couldn't install the software because S-mode enabled by default... and you can't turn it off without downloading an "App" from the Microsoft Store, which requires a Microsoft Account... Apparently you can regedit it, but can't run Regedit in S-mode... so...

We ended up driving out to a Starbucks so we could hotspot it and making a fake gmail microsoft account to get the **** thing to move on. Nearly an entire day spent just to install a 8Mb piece of software that can talk to a DB-9 serial communication device.

My one gripe about Apple going to ARM -- in the past I'd just run Windows in a VM and be done with it. But this software wouldn't run on ARM version of Windows for some reason, so needed an Intel native computer.

I will say, I just had to battle with a couple of cheapy laptops -- needed Windows out at a site to talk to some industrial controllers. So I picked up a couple out at Best Buy and ...

Holy $+%*

Can't set up without a Microsoft account - well we didn't have internet at the site, so at least once that failed it let us create a local accounnt. Then we couldn't install the software because S-mode enabled by default... and you can't turn it off without downloading an "App" from the Microsoft Store, which requires a Microsoft Account... Apparently you can regedit it, but can't run Regedit in S-mode... so...

We ended up driving out to a Starbucks so we could hotspot it and making a fake gmail microsoft account to get the **** thing to move on. Nearly an entire day spent just to install a 8Mb piece of software that can talk to a DB-9 serial communication device.

My one gripe about Apple going to ARM -- in the past I'd just run Windows in a VM and be done with it. But this software wouldn't run on ARM version of Windows for some reason, so needed an Intel native computer.
Yeah, every time I have to do a fresh install of 10 I've seen crap change for the last few years, they keep moving the options to create a local or skip around. I kind of figured it would progressively get worse with 11. Seriously, friggin' idiots to make it so you have to have online connectivity just for the 1st power up. Ought to be a law against that.

Yeah, every time I have to do a fresh install of 10 I've seen crap change for the last few years, they keep moving the options to create a local or skip around. I kind of figured it would progressively get worse with 11. Seriously, friggin' idiots to make it so you have to have online connectivity just for the 1st power up. Ought to be a law against that.
I'm sure if I bought a laptop with Win Pro I could have worked around it. But a) I didn't realize it had got this bad, and b) a laptop with WinPro preinstalled is much more expensive than the $350 HP POS that I got (at least to find one on the shelf)

And, in MS's defense, they do let you set up the laptop without an internet connection. You can eventually get to the desktop - it just isn't obvious. But then you get to the "Locked in S-Mode" bullshit and then you get stuck only being able to run whatever happens to be pre-installed on the laptop, since S-mode only lets you run software obtained via the Windows Store. Might as well have bought an iPad.

Become a Patron!
Back