Disney Demonstrates Its New Face Re-aging Network (FRAN) Tool for the Upcoming SIGGRAPH Conference

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Disney Research Studios has published a paper and video that it has prepared for the upcoming SIGGRAPH conference happening December 6-9.

See full article...

WTH is even Re-Aging? What do you mean re? Why not just aging? You de-age an actor and then re-age them? That doesn't make any sense.

WTH is even Re-Aging? What do you mean re? Why not just aging? You de-age an actor and then re-age them? That doesn't make any sense.
I admit that expression didn't quite sit right with me either. I get what they're trying to say but I feel it should be something different as well.

I was thinking something along the lines of age altering but that can still be confusing because it's the image of the actor being changed, not the actor. It's almost like we need a new adjective/adverb.

Look on the bright side. I'm sure when the knockoff version from overseas comes out we'll all get a good laugh at whatever name they give it.

I was thinking something along the lines of age altering but that can still be confusing because it's the image of the actor being changed, not the actor. It's almost like we need a new adjective/adverb.
They talk in the article that it is often done with stand ins anyway, so it is not really aging the actor, but swapping out entirely.

They talk in the article that it is often done with stand ins anyway, so it is not really aging the actor, but swapping out entirely.
Makes sense that the tech probably can't fill in all the info yet so there's still a human component needed to assist it.

Become a Patron!
Back