ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB OC Edition Video Card Review

Welp.

That didn't take long...

324334262_550969146927576_8025358231429481031_n.jpg

**** you Nvidia. **** you long and **** you hard.

Card that should have MSRP of $350, has MSRP of $799, but artificial scarcity intentionally engineered by Nvidia (or because they just don't give a ****) results in scalper pricing yet again of almost $1,500

Welp.

That didn't take long...

View attachment 2150

**** you Nvidia. **** you long and **** you hard.

Card that should have MSRP of $350, has MSRP of $799, but artificial scarcity intentionally engineered by Nvidia (or because they just don't give a ****) results in scalper pricing yet again of almost $1,500
Makes the $1900 I just spent on my 4090 seem cheap. This sucks. I don't mind the top-tier cards costing a chunk, although not thrilled, but these should not be like that at all. I remember being jealous of the folks that got Titans back in the day while I scrambled SLI with 560Ti's and 980s but this is just wrong.

Anyone remember the PS3 launch in 2006, when all we could talk about in the tech news was how there weren't enough of them to go around, resulting in scalpers, and camping out outside stores, etc. etc?

Back then we referred to it as a "failed launch", and wondered how on earth Sony screwed up so badly.

Now it has become expected every single time something new in PC/Tech launches.

This is not normal.

We need to get back to the norms of companies pre-building adequate launch quantities to meet demand on launch day..

In most industries consumers would give a company that did this the finger, and leave them for someone else, but insufficient competition in the industry results in this kind of stupidity. This is why you NEED 3-5 competent players in a market in order for competition to drive proper behavior.

Last edited:
Makes the $1900 I just spent on my 4090 seem cheap. This sucks. I don't mind the top-tier cards costing a chunk, although not thrilled, but these should not be like that at all. I remember being jealous of the folks that got Titans back in the day while I scrambled SLI with 560Ti's and 980s but this is just wrong.
I was thinking the same thing.

I have an MSI Gaming X Trio 24G and an EK waterblock incoming.

I was thinking the same thing.

I have an MSI Gaming X Trio 24G and an EK waterblock incoming.
I'm sure you're going to love it. The 4090 is everything they make it out to be. I was hesitant at first and originally planned to wait it out for the Ti/Titan or whatever comes next but Brent's review won me over, and I really don't want to wait 18+ months in hopes of getting one. If I hadn't gotten lucky in getting mine I probably would've just held out but I am happy. Not only does it significantly outperform the 3090 Ti but manages to do so at the same or less power in a lot of testing I've done. For giggles, I've been using mild OC settings (clock at 2860-2885 MHz and mem at 11,000 MH w/ power +107%) and in most games, the liquid X keeps it 60 or under w/ 30-50% fans while AB says its drawing 385-425W. Just to hammer it I tested RE3 Remastered and cranked IQ to 200%, saw it eat 18GB of VRAM, and then pulled 500-530W with the same settings while holding 50-55 FPS at 4K. The game looked incredible at that point too. I did a lot of testing with it and once you slap that block on it'll take an already impressive card to another level. I tested Crysis Remastered and that was fun too. It really is the best 4K card yet and based on all these power comparisons for the other Ampere cards I am impressed with the design but it really sucks with what is happening with supplies.

I'm sure you're going to love it. The 4090 is everything they make it out to be. I was hesitant at first and originally planned to wait it out for the Ti/Titan or whatever comes next but Brent's review won me over, and I really don't want to wait 18+ months in hopes of getting one. If I hadn't gotten lucky in getting mine I probably would've just held out but I am happy. Not only does it significantly outperform the 3090 Ti but manages to do so at the same or less power in a lot of testing I've done. For giggles, I've been using mild OC settings (clock at 2860-2885 MHz and mem at 11,000 MH w/ power +107%) and in most games, the liquid X keeps it 60 or under w/ 30-50% fans while AB says its drawing 385-425W. Just to hammer it I tested RE3 Remastered and cranked IQ to 200%, saw it eat 18GB of VRAM, and then pulled 500-530W with the same settings while holding 50-55 FPS at 4K. The game looked incredible at that point too. I did a lot of testing with it and once you slap that block on it'll take an already impressive card to another level. I tested Crysis Remastered and that was fun too. It really is the best 4K card yet and based on all these power comparisons for the other Ampere cards I am impressed with the design but it really sucks with what is happening with supplies.

Yeah, I was thinking similarly. I only very recently spent money on a rather expensive 6900xt, but I knew that was a risk.

The 4090 appears as if it is an all holds barred approach to getting the most out of this gen, and because of that I think it might just have some staying power. I'm cautiously optimistic for a similar experience to my Pascal Titan X I had from 2016 to 2021.

Admittedly I held on to that Titan a little but longer than I had planned. I balked at the 2080ti when the "space invaders" problem reared its ugly head, and by the time it was solved, I thought it was way too late in the product cycle to spend big bucks on a top end card.

With the 4090 - however - I'm hoping I will be happy for at least 2-3 years.

Makes me wonder if I'll be able to sell my factory water block 6900xt.

It was great to have a waterblock preinstalled, as it is less work both installing and finding a matching block and board, but it certainly limits the pool of potential buyers. As popular as water cooling has become, it is still a minority of systems, and those who do watercool generally use latest gen high end hardware, so who is going to buy a used 6900xt.

Makes me wonder if I could find a compatible air cooler for it :p

Makes me wonder if I'll be able to sell my factory water block 6900xt.

It was great to have a waterblock preinstalled, as it is less work both installing and finding a matching block and board, but it certainly limits the pool of potential buyers. As popular as water cooling has become, it is still a minority of systems, and those who do watercool generally use latest gen high end hardware, so who is going to buy a used 6900xt.

Makes me wonder if I could find a compatible air cooler for it :p
I honestly feel the same about any of the cards I'm sitting on now. None are modded but just not sure about the headache of trying to sell them. I really should try to move them and I'm considering putting up something in the forum sale section because I've gathered a bunch in the last five years. All were top-tier for their time and I do take care of my stuff but all had a substantial amount of hours and I'm doubtful of how much of the original packaging I have left beyond their boxes and foam. At this point, I've got an EVGA 2080 Super, Strix 2080 Ti, Strix 3090, and MSI Suprim X 3090, and now an EVGA FTHW3 Ultra 3090 Ti that is all just sitting. The 3090 Ti might get repurposed when I do my next build with one of these X3D chips but the rest are just sitting in a closet.

Still several that appear to be in stock at the slightly-over-MSRP AIB markup: 1:30PM west coast time. Given the value proposition I'm not exactly surprised, but there have been a lot of things in the GPU market that I would never have guessed happen, happen.

Here's praying the scalpers get to eat a big 'ole bag of 🍆

1672953995154.png

Yeah, I was thinking similarly. I only very recently spent money on a rather expensive 6900xt, but I knew that was a risk.

The 4090 appears as if it is an all holds barred approach to getting the most out of this gen, and because of that I think it might just have some staying power. I'm cautiously optimistic for a similar experience to my Pascal Titan X I had from 2016 to 2021.

Admittedly I held on to that Titan a little but longer than I had planned. I balked at the 2080ti when the "space invaders" problem reared its ugly head, and by the time it was solved, I thought it was way too late in the product cycle to spend big bucks on a top end card.

With the 4090 - however - I'm hoping I will be happy for at least 2-3 years.

Well, after some more research, I may have bought the wrong version of the 4090 for my intents. :/

Apparently the MSI Gaming X has a power limit of ~450w, which is pretty wimpy as 4090's go.

Beggars can't be choosers though. The only ones I could find in stock without feeding scalpers too much were this one, and a Zotac model, and I'm not sure I trust Zotac for high end boards.

I'm still putting a water block on it. Hopefully I can achieve some decent overclocks by undervolting :/

Well, after some more research, I may have bought the wrong version of the 4090 for my intents. :/

Apparently the MSI Gaming X has a power limit of ~450w, which is pretty wimpy as 4090's go.

Beggars can't be choosers though. The only ones I could find in stock without feeding scalpers too much were this one, and a Zotac model, and I'm not sure I trust Zotac for high end boards.

I'm still putting a water block on it. Hopefully I can achieve some decent overclocks by undervolting :/
Pretty sure you'll be able to hang in the 2800s still. From what I've read anything over 500w is mostly wasted anyways. If you trust it enough you might be able to flash custom bios for more but I wouldn't recommend it. Yeah, when I started researching these I was really shocked about all the wattage variants that are out there and even then there are other tradeoffs with them. The GIGABYTE with its AIO is one of the highest but came in 2nd on some tests. Either way, at stock these things are still beasts and the OC gains are minimal at best and the extra power draw isn't usually equitable. I'd say the settings I'm using are close to 1:1 but probably still using a bit more power than needed vs just keeping it at stock.

Pretty sure you'll be able to hang in the 2800s still. From what I've read anything over 500w is mostly wasted anyways. If you trust it enough you might be able to flash custom bios for more but I wouldn't recommend it. Yeah, when I started researching these I was really shocked about all the wattage variants that are out there and even then there are other tradeoffs with them. The GIGABYTE with its AIO is one of the highest but came in 2nd on some tests. Either way, at stock these things are still beasts and the OC gains are minimal at best and the extra power draw isn't usually equitable. I'd say the settings I'm using are close to 1:1 but probably still using a bit more power than needed vs just keeping it at stock.

I hope so.

Some reviews I read had one up at ~2930 pulling about 430w, so I feel like ought to be able to at least match that under water, but I don't have a good feel for how power limited these are yet, or if the limit lies elsewhere.

Some reviews I read had one up at ~2930 pulling about 430w, so I feel like ought to be able to at least match that under water, but I don't have a good feel for how power limited these are yet, or if the limit lies elsewhere.
Unless you're racing benchmarks, ~400W is probably the efficient limit. I'll note that even my 3080 12GB, not even a Ti card, has 3x8pin power and can pull 450W with power limits raised. It's still never going to outrun a 3090.

Unless you're racing benchmarks, ~400W is probably the efficient limit. I'll note that even my 3080 12GB, not even a Ti card, has 3x8pin power and can pull 450W with power limits raised. It's still never going to outrun a 3090.

In recent years I have been overclocking towards max stability in Time Spy, because it seems to be the most likely to crash if settings aren't good.

Years ago I used to use Furmark, but that has since been deemed a "power virus" and detected by the drivers and scaled back, so it is no longer really relevant. Then I used Unigine Heaven, but it is really starting to get old at this point, so TimeSpy has been my recent stability test.

I'm not really a benchmark competition person (I sometimes post them if they look good, but I don't really care that much). I'm really just using TimeSpy as a stability test.

What do you guys use?

I know that all the things I use are not representative of real-world gameplay but for my GPUs, I still use canned benches, which at least usually give a reference, and the TimeSpy.

Since I'm all in on RT and DLSS (although with a 4090 there are now instances you don't need it in 4K) I use canned benchmark tools for Metro Exodus, Horizon Zero Dawn, Cyberpunk 2022, RDR2, and Shadow of The Tomb Raider. When checking raster performance only I'll use Metro LL, Batman AK, and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Then of course for actual gameplay, there's Crysis (remastered or 64-bit original) but God Of War can be pretty demanding and Spider-Man remastered is a good overall test for SSD, CPU, and GPU. When I want to just punish a GPU I'll max out the actual image quality setting in the newer RE games. The 4090 has been the 1st card I've had where I can crank it all the way to 200% at 4K and it doesn't become a slideshow. Pulls downwards of 50-55 FPS but man does it look good.

I'm starting to wonder if I am ever going to get this 4090.

My UPS tracking number was created on Tuesday (01/03) and it is still sitting in "label created" status and listed as "on the way" with delivery due on Monday, but no detailed steps in the progress since then :/

I have Paypal buyer protection on it, so I know one way or another I'm not going to be out any money, but I have an EKWB water block on the slow boat from Slowvenia. If this 4090 winds up resulting in a refund, no guarantees the next one I find is the same model that fits the same waterblock :/ International waterblock returns are likely not happening. Probably can sell it, but still, that would be a pain in the ***.

Become a Patron!
Back