ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB OC Edition Video Card Review

I'm starting to wonder if I am ever going to get this 4090.

My UPS tracking number was created on Tuesday (01/03) and it is still sitting in "label created" status and listed as "on the way" with delivery due on Monday, but no detailed steps in the progress since then :/

I have Paypal buyer protection on it, so I know one way or another I'm not going to be out any money, but I have an EKWB water block on the slow boat from Slowvenia. If this 4090 winds up resulting in a refund, no guarantees the next one I find is the same model that fits the same waterblock :/ International waterblock returns are likely not happening. Probably can sell it, but still, that would be a pain in the ***.
Let's hope it's one of those borked UPS things. I've seen some occasions with them and USPS/FedEx(a lot with both of these) where tracking doesn't get updated for one reason or another until the day of delivery, and sometimes not even then until after it's delivered. Fingers crossed for ya!

Let's hope it's one of those borked UPS things. I've seen some occasions with them and USPS/FedEx(a lot with both of these) where tracking doesn't get updated for one reason or another until the day of delivery, and sometimes not even then until after it's delivered. Fingers crossed for ya!
Was having the issue where the label was created but sat for days without any sign of pick up or anything then all of a sudden it was out for delivery. I think this time of year really messes with the tracking system. I had my Maximus motherboard's tracking do the same thing recently.

Yeah, I've had those too, but I've also had ones where they just disappeared en route. Fingers crossed!

Thanks @Brent_Justice for the awesome review! Told me all the sh1t I wanted to know about the 4070 Ti.

I have an MSI Gaming X Trio 24G and an EK waterblock incoming.
Aaahhh, so you decided to move on from the 6900 XT already huh?

With the 4090 - however - I'm hoping I will be happy for at least 2-3 years.
I know you game at 4K, but I feel like a 4090 should last you decently longer than that.

At this point, I've got an EVGA 2080 Super, Strix 2080 Ti, Strix 3090, and MSI Suprim X 3090, and now an EVGA FTHW3 Ultra 3090 Ti that is all just sitting. The 3090 Ti might get repurposed when I do my next build with one of these X3D chips but the rest are just sitting in a closet.
Any of those are better than my 1080 Ti, wish I had the cash to grab one of 'em from yah.

I tested it in Witcher 3. Sort of cool but major latency when the game would switch from to any cutscenes and then back but also certain animations could trigger delays as well. I ended up turning it off but leaving DLSS on. It was cool when the delays were not happening though. Saw it bump FPS to upwards of 118+ in 4K with the RT Ultra settings. As is my rig was holding 55~80 FPS so it's not a big loss for a 4090/5800X3D combo.

So I just turned on Frame Generation for ****s and giggles in Dying Light 2 last night, and to my astonishment it actually worked really well.

I had been running at all ultra settings which gave me 55fps in some scenes, so I had reluctantly turned on DLSS2 in the "Quality" preset from the very beginning. It works well, and in most scenes I can't even tell it is running. Occasionally there is a little visible blur, but it is not too bothersome, and provides quite a frame rate boost.

In this setting (Ultra + DLSS2 Quality + default draw distance of 100 in 4k) I had mainly seen frame rates in the 90-110 fps range.

Frame Generation had remained off though as I was quite opposed to that.

Well, I turned it on, and now I am pretty much pinned at my monitors 120hz at all times, with lower GPU utilization (less load, heat and noise) than before. I expected it to be bad, or jittery, but it just wasn't. I'd be very happy to play with this on.

I am guessing it is better suited and better implemented in some games than others. In Dying Light 2 it works very well!

In fact, I am now considering leaving it on, and upping the draw distance instead. The settings screen warns that this can have a huge performance impact, but I am curious to try it.

So I just turned on Frame Generation for ****s and giggles in Dying Light 2 last night, and to my astonishment it actually worked really well.

I had been running at all ultra settings which gave me 55fps in some scenes, so I had reluctantly turned on DLSS2 in the "Quality" preset from the very beginning. It works well, and in most scenes I can't even tell it is running. Occasionally there is a little visible blur, but it is not too bothersome, and provides quite a frame rate boost.

In this setting (Ultra + DLSS2 Quality + default draw distance of 100 in 4k) I had mainly seen frame rates in the 90-110 fps range.

Well, I turned it on, and now I am pretty much pinned at my monitors 120hz at all times, with lower GPU utilization (less load, heat and noise) than before. I expected it to be bad, or jittery, but it just wasn't. I'd be very happy to play with this on.

I am guessing it is better suited and better implemented in some games than others. In Dying Light 2 it works very well!

In fact, I am now considering leaving it on, and upping the draw distance instead. The settings screen warns that this can have a huge performance impact, but I am curious to try it.
Good to know. I think W3 just has so many different types of animations and cutscenes that this feature can adapt quickly enough. When roaming the countryside it's great but the moment I stop to talk to somebody, or an event triggers something, it's like watching an old poorly done MPG2 encode from the 90s. It does catch up but for a few seconds A/V is out of sync and jittery while it tries to adapt to the changes but once it does things are nice. The problem though is that W3 has a lot of constant shifting from animations and cutscenes so it gets very distracting after a while.

Good to know. I think W3 just has so many different types of animations and cutscenes that this feature can adapt quickly enough. When roaming the countryside it's great but the moment I stop to talk to somebody, or an event triggers something, it's like watching an old poorly done MPG2 encode from the 90s. It does catch up but for a few seconds A/V is out of sync and jittery while it tries to adapt to the changes but once it does things are nice. The problem though is that W3 has a lot of constant shifting from animations and cutscenes so it gets very distracting after a while.

Yeah, I could see that. Different impacts in different types of games.

For what it is worth, I pinned the draw distance to 300 (the highest the game allows, stock is 100)

At 4k, ultra settings with DLSS2 at Quality and Frame Generation on, this results in occasional frame rate drops from the 120fps my monitor is capable of, down to ~112FPS, but most of the time it still stays up near 120.

Other than my fans being a little quieter (they weren't particularly loud to begin with) I wouldn't have known the difference from adding frame generation, and the increase of the draw distance did not have a noticible impact on frame rate to me without looking at the fps output. I also didn't really notice a huge impact on visual output. When standing on a tall building and observing the skyline, I'm not sure the increase of draw distance really did all that much.

Just like DLSS1, I really didn't expect nvidia to ace frame generation on its first try, but the technology does look promising.

If only the RTX4070Ti would drop in price I might be really tempted.

Just like DLSS1, I really didn't expect nvidia to ace frame generation on its first try, but the technology does look promising.

If only the RTX4070Ti would drop in price I might be really tempted.

I'm going to be honest. I didn't think it was possible for frame generation to work well. At least not for gaming.

With static content you can always delay the audio by two frames, skip a head a frame, and use a frame worths of processing time to interpolate the two.

With gaming, that's going to introduce two frames worth of input lag, which would be awful.

The DLSS3 method must be predicting the next frame rather than waiting for it, otherwise it would be completely useless for games, but how they do that reliably is completely beyond me. They must be running some sort of detection algorithm on your inputs (keyboard, mouse, etc.). Once trained on how a scene in a game reacts to movement, the AI must be predicting what the next frame in the future will look like based on a combination of the previous frame and the keyboard and mouse movements, and then render the next frame based on these predictions, faster than the GPU itself could render it from scratch.

My thoughts were that under ideal circumstances this might be possible, but in practice it would fail, be laggy and look awful.

At least in Dying Light 2 that is not the case. Either that, or I am finally so old now that I can no longer detect input lag.

I'm honestly a little bit in disbelief. What they are accomplishing, at least in this one title, shouldn't be possible.

While I am happy to use it in Dying Light 2, I am going to scrutinize it in every title I test it on, before trying to use it, and I probably would not use it in any multiplayer/competitive titles just in case.

Last edited:
Just picked up one of these cards, and I will say it has exceeded my expectations at 4K. Still able to play games like COD MW3 and Forza Motorsport with very playable frame rates with settings at Max/Ultra. Card runs very cool and power draw is far below my previous 4090.

Just picked up one of these cards, and I will say it has exceeded my expectations at 4K. Still able to play games like COD MW3 and Forza Motorsport with very playable frame rates with settings at Max/Ultra. Card runs very cool and power draw is far below my previous 4090.
you replaced a 4090 with a 4070Ti? why?

you replaced a 4090 with a 4070Ti? why?
Long story short, I moved into a new house and my man cave is no longer in the basement and the room it is in now is right down the hall from the thermostat. The 4090 along with the 13900K I had at the time would heat the room up which eventually led down the hallway kicking the central air on. Now that winter is approaching the same heat will be there not allowing the furnace to kick on.
I was not moving myself to the basement again. I replaced the 13900K with the 13600K which runs cooler and very little to no performance hit. The 4090 power draw and heat were getting to be over the top for me personally regardless if I changed houses. I believe that power draw led to my 1200W FSP power supply to fail honestly.
I'm only getting older (51 now), and along with my back injury, I honestly don't see myself gaming as much so why have a high end card that wasn't being used to it's potential.

Last edited:
Should have been under 600W under gaming load... unless you regularly run Cinebench + Furmark?
I agree, and no I don't run either. I just meant that the power supply itself may not have been up to par in the long run. I still haven't heard back from FSP for a warranty claim and its been almost a week.

I agree, and no I don't run either. I just meant that the power supply itself may not have been up to par in the long run. I still haven't heard back from FSP for a warranty claim and its been almost a week.
Keeping my fingers crossed with mine then. I was wondering about the 13600/4070 Ti swap but I get it. I do wonder if the heat had something to do with the PSU dying. My 4090 rig is in our living room which has 23' ceiling so there's a lot more room for heat to rise plus that room has the most ventilation ducts for AC. All-in-all that rig has it pretty nice in terms of air and cooling.

I've been running my 7900xtx as a counter point and it's been fine for the past week or so. Several hour sessions in Starfield and such. Of course I'm only gaming at 1440p and pushing it with a 5900xt so the performance my be slightly limited for what it would otherwise draw. watching it last night my entire rig was only drawing around 400 watts.

I've been running my 7900xtx as a counter point and it's been fine for the past week or so.
I was leaning on trying AMD again this go around, but I read about a lot of users having game crashing issues and just instability. I may regret going to a card with only 12GB of Vram, but this card just chugs along with no issues in games. Maybe DLSS is part of that.

Keeping my fingers crossed with mine then. I was wondering about the 13600/4070 Ti swap but I get it.
I wasn't trying to scare anyone who had that PSU, but it's nice to be aware. I game in "spurts" now instead of hour long gaming sessions like in my younger days so the swap made sense for more reasons than one. It wasn't easy to come to that conclusion believe me, but it was a bit of a reality check I guess.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back