AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D Gaming Benchmarks Demonstrate Performance in Control, Death Stranding, and More versus Intel Core i9-12900KF

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Peruvian hardware site XanxoGaming has returned with a new set of benchmarks that provide greater insight on how AMD's first Ryzen CPU with 3D V-Cache technology might handle some of today's most popular titles. Borderlands 3, Control, and Death Stranding are among the titles included in the tests, which were performed on systems equipped with a GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition graphics card.

Go to post

Yup - though I'd expected deltas to be within say 5% either way, and some of those are so large that they bring into question the testing premise. Not due to concerns over validity of the results, but of their applicability to any real conclusion.

The 5800X3D has significantly more cache than we're used to on desktop CPUs. Ryzen has been tuned for this, IMO, as memory support has been slow going for AMD and Zen, whereas Alder Lake really isn't well-tuned for anything. DDR4 reports have been lackluster when it comes to pushing memory speeds, and DDR5 is a mess with few being able to utilize the faster kits even in XMP.

However, Alder Lake does perform better with faster memory, including faster DDR5, as demonstrated on boards specifically designed to push memory speeds - but like DDR5, these boards aren't priced at pedestrian levels, with many lacking some form of connectivity available on more mainstream boards in one way or another. Main point is, while Alder Lake isn't pushing DDR4 memory speeds to stratospheric levels, it can take advantage of the additional bandwidth available on DDR5 - even with higher access latencies.

Then there's the stock limiter on Alder Lake - which I get, as the 5800X3D can't overclock, and further the power draw difference will start to get out of control. At the same time, Alder Lake will scale to the limits of its cooling, the same way PBO seems to work for Zen CPUs. With the main difference being that Alder Lake will easily eat up more than 300W with the brakes off, while an eight-core Zen CPU doesn't stand a chance hitting that level of power draw.

Then there's Windows 10. I'll say that for the most part, there's very little end-user benefit here outside of specific circumstances, but that doesn't mean that there's no benefit. Specifically, Windows 11 includes Intel's scheduler for Alder Lake. If we were looking at GPU-limited scenarios this might not make any measurable difference at all, but when isolating CPUs, it very much could - and could help explain some of the more puzzling results.

On balance, we know how Alder Lake performs on Windows 10 and Windows 11. AMDs 5800X3D puts on a good showing, and while discussing the limits of CPU performance is likely to hold the community's attention, the big win here I think is value for the AM4 platform. Anyone not using an eight-core Zen 3 CPU or more will likely benefit substantially from upgrading to a 5800X3D, while not having to consider upgrading memory, motherboard, or cooling to get 99% of the performance available.

Assuming that the $500 rumored price is true, that's a heck of a deal versus say an MSI Z690 Unify-X, a kit of DDR5 6400, and a 12900K (or KS!), as an example of what it might take to really wring the most performance out of Alder Lake - and you get to stay on Windows 10 a while longer!

1. Windows 11 runs just fine on Zen3. I did opt to go with the pro variant because I want the most control I can get over my operating system.

2. The 5800x3d or whatever the full model is called is a great CPU for those that want a year or two more out of their AM4 platform.

3. After this CPU generation will be the real tell on if AMD can sea saw with Intel on CPU performance, and if they can start to properly Sea Saw with Nvidia on GPU performance. Not to mention their move into big data center with the new high bandwidth I/O connectivity cards that are being introduced from them to compete with Nvidia and Intel.

All three companies need to execute very strongly. The ones with the most to loose are the victors. But the ones that need the win here are the ones perceived as being out of step.

Intel and AMD should be happy that Nvidia did not buy ARM and enter the CPU race. AMD and Intel should be nervous and watching what apple does with it's M1 chips VERY closely. They are getting sized to compete in the big data center environment. Will be interesting to see if Apple wants a piece of that pie again.

The 5800x3D is a great CPU, I'm glad it competes where AMD is focused and does so well.

The battle lines are drawn and it is now time to look to the next generation of CPU's from Intel and AMD. (Maybe apple)

It is ALSO time to look to where the next generation of Video cards are going to fall performance/cost/wattage wise. Nvidia, AMD, and Intel have a stake in this game. (Again maybe Apple)

To summarize.

This is the last HARAH! for AM4. it will give folks something to extend the life of their AM4 based systems for a while longer that had a less than 8 core current generation AM4 CPU, OR any previous generation AM4 CPU focused on gaming.. It is a purely gaming focused CPU so it will be interesting to see how it performs in the sell through.

Last edited:
Not sure why yall are saying this is only good for those with less than 8 core CPU's. This 5800X3D, from those charts, blows the doors off the 3700X/3800X, 2700X, 1800X. Now if you're already on a 5800X there's not much point in upgrading.

This is easily going to be 40'ish % faster than my 3700X. And I'll get another 2-3 years of life out of my system.

Not sure why yall are saying this is only good for those with less than 8 core CPU's. This 5800X3D, from those charts, blows the doors off the 3700X/3800X, 2700X, 1800X. Now if you're already on a 5800X there's not much point in upgrading.

This is easily going to be 40'ish % faster than my 3700X. And I'll get another 2-3 years of life out of my system.
You know what that is absolutely correct! I am revising my statement above.

Yep, my mind is all but made up on getting one of these. I'll slap an AIO and call it a done deal for AM4 until I'm ready to upgrade. The article says MSRP is $449. Here's hoping I can find a sale or discount getting it closer to $400 or less before the holidays.

I just saw a 5950 for $550... I don't know what the 5800X3D will go for on the street since it's new, but there's promise.

I went and backtracked what I paid when I put together the X570 rig. This was in Dec. 2019.
3700X $309
X570 $199
Ram $172
PCIe 4.0 SSD $169

I already had everything else on hand. I was just curious since I figure I'm looking upwards of $600+ to do this upgrade when I can.

I went and backtracked what I paid when I put together the X570 rig. This was in Dec. 2019.
3700X $309
X570 $199
Ram $172
PCIe 4.0 SSD $169

I already had everything else on hand. I was just curious since I figure I'm looking upwards of $600+ to do this upgrade when I can.
Built mine in August 2019

3700X $330
X570 $300
Ram $212
1000W PSU $220
2x 1TB m.2 $260
Case $190
Watercooling $1100

A $450 upgrade at this point is worth it.

All you guys upgrading 3000 series PCs. My 2700x is on the upgrade list - the only question is 5950 or one of these. Given it spends most of its time running distributed computing these days, the right choice is probably the 5950, but I’m going to check reviews.

All you guys upgrading 3000 series PCs. My 2700x is on the upgrade list - the only question is 5950 or one of these. Given it spends most of its time running distributed computing these days, the right choice is probably the 5950, but I’m going to check reviews.
Yeah, you're probably better off with a 5900 or 5950. The former has had some decent sales since the holidays. My 3700x is mostly used stuff I do here, browsing, and gaming, so the 3D definitely makes more sense for me.

edit: Just noticed your sig. I see you're already testing a 5950X so maybe the 3D for gaming could be the better choice. Like you said, check the reviews.

When we start talking about 'better for gaming' at this level of performance - really have to question how much sense that approach makes.

Think about it this way: Counter-Strike performance improvements are still relevant for some folks. Not because better average framerates are needed, but because response times can always be lowered more.

People serious about that game would likely buy 500Hz monitors if they were available to upgrade from their 360Hz monitors.

I can tell you that my 12700K at stock is effortlessly faster than my 9900K was for content creation tasks - I have to run serious stress tests to really make it (and the poor 360mm AIO cooling it) start to sweat.

But for games? At 3840x1600 with decent settings?

Even with a 3080 12GB, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference outside of just how hot the 9900K would get.

When we start talking about 'better for gaming' at this level of performance - really have to question how much sense that approach makes.

Think about it this way: Counter-Strike performance improvements are still relevant for some folks. Not because better average framerates are needed, but because response times can always be lowered more.
I agree with this

When you are judging this based on some game run at potato resolution getting 342 FPS vs 314 FPS -- at first, your already at some rediculous level that ~most~ people aren't even going to consider usable -- both because the refresh rate is much higher than can be used by most mortal folks, and because most people aren't going to play a game at a resolution of 320x240.

So the differences that are getting discussed here, are mostly just academic. It exists, but much in the same way that a difference between the top speed in a Lambo versus Ferrari exist: yeah, it's there, but they are all so much higher than the Legal Speed Limit on a public road that most people drive on that the difference is, outside of some very specific circumstances, just academic.

The difference should be noted in 1080 and 1440 resolutions where CPU will be more involved. This is where most people game. Myself at 1440. And the difference in FPS at 1440 between even my 3700X and a 5800X is substantial.

Plus this is value upgrade to people's existing systems that adds longevity at a good price. I'm not ready to build a whole new system. If this gets me within a couple % of the top tier Intel then it's worth every penny.

The difference should be noted in 1080 and 1440 resolutions where CPU will be more involved. This is where most people game. Myself at 1440. And the difference in FPS at 1440 between even my 3700X and a 5800X is substantial.

Plus this is value upgrade to people's existing systems that adds longevity at a good price. I'm not ready to build a whole new system. If this gets me within a couple % of the top tier Intel then it's worth every penny.
The value is in the eye of the beholder. Same reason I swapped motherboards when I upgraded to a 5900x.

Now you could hit the issue a friend of mine is. His new build 3090 with a 5950 cpu. Big case lots of fans.. is causing his braker to flip. He is running a cheap 1050 watt gold rated power supply. Wants to go to a platinum so he can be sure he's delivering efficient power. Total overkill of a system for him but it's all good.

Nice I went the the corsair apellix elite 360 myself. Too much other corsair stuff installed. Would love to hear what your experience is like. For me coming from a 3900x to a 5900x was nice.. but I also went from a PCIE 3.x to a PCIE 4.x drive as well.

Become a Patron!
Back