AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D Gaming Benchmarks Demonstrate Performance in Control, Death Stranding, and More versus Intel Core i9-12900KF

Nice I went the the corsair apellix elite 360 myself. Too much other corsair stuff installed. Would love to hear what your experience is like. For me coming from a 3900x to a 5900x was nice.. but I also went from a PCIE 3.x to a PCIE 4.x drive as well.
This is actually going to be my first AIO, liquid cooling of any kind so my only comparison will be with past air-coolers and, more directly, the Wraith Prism the 3700X came with(best stock cooler I've ever seen).

I've been so proud of what I've accomplished with air with the HAF cases it hasn't been that beneficial for me to switch to liquid but I've known for some time those days are coming to an end. If/when I upgrade from the Suprim 3090 there's a pretty good chance the next card will be liquid cooled, one way or another, although I've been saying that since the 1080 Ti.

Thankfully the rest of the rig is already ready for it. PCIe 4.0 drive and 3600 MHz mem and a 1000W Corsair Platinum PSU are all in place.

This is actually going to be my first AIO, liquid cooling of any kind so my only comparison will be with past air-coolers and, more directly, the Wraith Prism the 3700X came with(best stock cooler I've ever seen).

I've been so proud of what I've accomplished with air with the HAF cases it hasn't been that beneficial for me to switch to liquid but I've known for some time those days are coming to an end. If/when I upgrade from the Suprim 3090 there's a pretty good chance the next card will be liquid cooled, one way or another, although I've been saying that since the 1080 Ti.

Thankfully the rest of the rig is already ready for it. PCIe 4.0 drive and 3600 MHz mem and a 1000W Corsair Platinum PSU are all in place.
I have considered upgrading my memory as it's DDR4 3200... but not much of a bump for a big spend.

I went with a EVGA 1300 watt platinum PSU.

Side note.. if you WANT a platinum PSU and you're shopping in A Microcenter. At least the one in Dallas they are only in the back. You have to ASK for one.

Side note.. if you WANT a platinum PSU and you're shopping in A Microcenter. At least the one in Dallas they are only in the back. You have to ASK for one.
Unfortunately, I'm in New Mexico and we don't have any Microcenter stores, although I really wish we did. The local BBs selections have gotten pretty sparse over the years but I do admit I was just in one today and it seemed a bit better.

On that note, it's still funny you mention TX. I just checked the tracking for that AIO and it's coming out of El Paso. Supposed to be here tomorrow.

Fun random fact: I was born in El Paso (William Beaumont Army Medical Center in Fort Bliss), and lived there for the first 6 years of my life.
Wayyyy back in the day I had some friends who went to college in Las Cruces and they were always telling me stories of going back and forth to El Paso.

Well, good news. Everything arrived. Ironically when I put together the 3700x rig I put it in a slightly newer HAF X case that doesn't really have any optimal mounting for a 360 AIO. However, my older HAF 932 Advanced does. I pulled it out of the closet, dusted it off, and installed the cooler in it. Tomorrow I'll move everything over from the HAF X finish it.

1650681980268.png

The mounting holes on the top grill perfectly align with the 360's. The only downside is that the last 1/3 of it will be underneath that top piece at the front of the case but what the picture doesn't show is that there are vents on the rear of it.

Lol! I've always said the Suprim 3090 barely fit in it which truly shocked me considering the gigantic size of the case. According to the specs max VGA card length is 320.7 mm and according to MSI the 3090 is 318.5 mm. 2.2 mm to spare ;)

As surprised as I am with how tight it's gotten for that card I'm truly impressed that a case released in 2008 can still be used in 2022 for such beefy components. I bought it around 2010 and hoped to get 10 years out of it but wasn't really sure if I'd stick with it. To me, the thing looks like something the space marines from AVP would cart around and that hasn't always been a look I was after but function and adaptability were always the #1 priority for it.

Although, I'll either have to move on or do some "adjusting" of my own with it for the next GPU. Since it's currently empty, I spent some time last night eyeing what rivets and screws will have to come out to remove the drive cage.

Well signing out for now. This is the rig I mostly use for posting and checking things so shutting down and I'll hopefully be back in an hour or two.

1650736232109.png

Turns out I was mistaken about the HAF X not having mounts for the 360 cooler. When I started to take it apart I wasn't willing to give up on it and popped off the top mesh cover. It was then that I noticed a couple of extra brackets underneath the top fans. This is different than the HAF 932 where the mounts are on the top grill. I measured them and sure enough, they were the right dimensions for the radiator. Much happier keeping it all in the HAF X, the entire radiator can breathe.

Then I had to search for the screws for the AMD brackets for the cold plate. They were "conveniently" inside a bag that was in a bag for one of the Intel brackets. Lost about 10-20 minutes thinking I'd dropped them last night while unpacking the cooler or left them in the box.

I finished putting it back together about an hour ago and it posted just fine but wouldn't boot. For a while, I thought I had somehow dislodged the boot SSD/power cables and took both covers back off, and backtracked all the cables(SATA cables are mostly hidden under the GPU so I was worried one may have partially come out). Granted I wasn't actually doing anything in these areas but I had done some extensive air-cleaning since I had everything apart.

After checking the cables and all the BIOS settings it turns out I had to switch to CSM. Just finished getting everything back to normal and going to spend the rest of the day playing, drinking, benching, and generally enjoying it.

As surprised as I am with how tight it's gotten for that card I'm truly impressed that a case released in 2008 can still be used in 2022 for such beefy components. I bought it around 2010 and hoped to get 10 years out of it but wasn't really sure if I'd stick with it.
I had my 3080ti briefly in my really old (2005?) antec 300. It was an extremely tight fit, but it worked. Unfortunately the 300 is a no go with a Noctua D15, so I will be replacing it in the not too distant future.

Become a Patron!
Back