Windows 12 May Be Released in 2024

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft may release its successor to Windows 11 within two years.

Go to post

Let me guess, further chipping away at user freedoms, and force feeding us even more cloud and other online account integration?

Those bastards aren't going to quit until they have completely eroded the concept of the personal computer and morphed it into some collective bullshit you don't own.

Your computer will be a grid computer for distributed computing by phones around the world...

Let me guess, further chipping away at user freedoms, and force feeding us even more cloud and other online account integration?

Those bastards aren't going to quit until they have completely eroded the concept of the personal computer and morphed it into some collective bullshit you don't own.
I'm sure it will. The interface will also likely be much worse making simple tasks that we used to do in two mouse clicks take six or more.

I've made my peace with a subscription service, as long as it's something where the proceeds continue to iterate, evolve and improve the product.

Heated seats - yeah I can't see that getting many changes over time, that's just a giant "F U, pay me more money"

But an OS that gets frequent security updates and features - yeah, I have little problem with a subscription type payment model for that.

That is, assuming, the features are actually useful and not regressions... which is an entirely different matter to discuss here.

Also, there's more than just Windows out there. Support competition, isn't that what we are always saying with CPUs and GPUs...

Some LTSC editions of Windows 10 will probably receive support until ~2030, if not beyond. That's ignoring IoT Enterprise, which is supported for longer.

I will never accept the "operating system as a service" model Microsoft has been pushing since the release of Windows 10.

Windows 10 has been a never-ending headache with its steady stream of self-destructing updates. The UI is rearranged, settings are reverted, and new garbage is added on a regular basis. Reviewing thousands of Group Policy settings with a fine-tooth comb to disable crap that no sane person wants in the first place is time-wasting and not something one should have to do on a single-user desktop. And that's with the (non-LTSC) Enterprise edition. Even the command-line development tools attempt to phone home.

Windows 11 continues the tradition of its predecessor by adding more anti-features, but it's a worthy upgrade for those who appreciate bigger numbers (11 > 10). More important, Windows 11 brings you closer to what you love. (Who can say no to that?)

It's a shame, because a lot of good software has been written for Windows.

As one might expect from the above, my instinctive reaction to the prospect of a new Windows edition was... hooray! 🙌 🎆 Are all of you as excited as I am for the new Microsoft “Moments”? 💙

It should be noted that the prospective Windows 12 has been inferred from Microsoft's announcement of a new release cycle, but from what I can tell, it is speculation at this stage.

2024: The Year of the FreeBSD Desktop?

Edit: s/subscription/service/

Last edited:
If Windows 11 home is representative of the future of windows it is a nasty future indeed. I've tried installing W11 home on a computer as a joke, and it's horrid.

First it is impossible to install it without connecting to the internet, there is no workaround.
You also need to create a mircosoft account to complete the setup. Thankfully sh*tfaced.c*msucker@outlook.com was available. Then it asks for a phone number as verification, but it accepted a random sequence of numbers. Or maybe I stumbled on a real number and some hapless fool in New Zealand got an sms in the middle of the night calling them c*msucker, from microsoft :D

But it's not over, it tries to sell you an office 365 yearly subscription during installation that you have to opt out of.
Then it tries to sign you up for games pass, which you also have to opt out of.
Then it tries to set up onedrive cloud backup, which is also opt out, and the opt out option is very well hidden.

And finally instead of showing a progress bar during final installation, it bombards you with patronizing messages, that really strained my self control not to do the exact opposite of "keep the computer powered on" when messages like "good things are coming your way" appeared on screen.

What surprised me however, that the home edition still allows you to remove the microsoft account and switch to a local account after installation so this whole charade was for nothing.

I went with 11 pro and it's been fine overall. But I already have an office 365 sub.

Windows 10 has been a never-ending headache with its steady stream of self-destructing updates. The UI is rearranged, settings are reverted, and new garbage is added on a regular basis. Reviewing thousands of Group Policy settings with a fine-tooth comb to disable crap that no sane person wants in the first place is time-wasting and not something one should have to do on a single-user desktop. And that's with the (non-LTSC) Enterprise edition. Even the command-line development tools attempt to phone home.
I agree with all of this entirely, but I think that's a different issue than the subscription model.

I usually don't have an issue with Windows and its updates. I like tinkering with the new interface, and I usually join the Insider Program to be an early adopter. I'll be looking forward to this when it's released.

You are a brave soul.

I don't mind new stuff, when I go sign up for new stuff.

I hate when it just randomly decides to appear all on it's own though.
I tend to agree with you on the random appearance outlook. That's why I tend to jump in and do it myself, before I feel like I "have" to upgrade.

I don't know if I believe this, cuz it feels waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too soon for Win12. Win11 has barely been on the market. Even if Win12 is coming soon, after dealing with Win10 for years (since launch actually) and checking out Win11, I don't have high hopes for Win12. Windows OSes just keep getting worse and worse. I used Win7 past EoL and will probably do the same with Win10. Currently have no plans whatsoever to move to Win11.

If Windows 11 home is representative of the future of windows it is a nasty future indeed. I've tried installing W11 home on a computer as a joke, and it's horrid.
I got Win11 running in a VM using QEMU/KVM, and I wholeheartedly agree.

First it is impossible to install it without connecting to the internet, there is no workaround.
You also need to create a mircosoft account to complete the setup. Thankfully sh*tfaced.c*msucker@outlook.com was available. Then it asks for a phone number as verification, but it accepted a random sequence of numbers.
Sounds like you installed Win11 Home. I went with Win11 Pro and didn't run into these issues.

Yeah it's been a real f*cking pain in the @ss. You speak nothing but truth here. I'm looking forward to when Win10 hits EoL, cuz then Microsoft will stop f*cking with the OS and changing it.

But an OS that gets frequent security updates and features - yeah, I have little problem with a subscription type payment model for that.
Shouldn't need a paid subscription to get those things.

Also, there's more than just Windows out there. Support competition, isn't that what we are always saying with CPUs and GPUs...
Indeed. Win7 was the last Windows OS that I mained. I used to use Linux as a secondary OS, now it is my primary OS. Thanks to Microsoft, I've been forced to treat Windows as basically a console, only really used for playing video games (and any other Windows-only software I might need, if I don't use a VM for it). My brother is moving towards having two separate systems, a main PC running Linux and a secondary PC for gaming on Windows. I don't wanna have to use two different computers for what I used to use one single PC for, but it does make sense these days. Who knows, I might roll that way myself in the future, cuz dual-booting on the same PC has its own fair share of issues.

I usually don't have an issue with Windows and its updates. I like tinkering with the new interface, and I usually join the Insider Program to be an early adopter. I'll be looking forward to this when it's released.
There is nothing wrong with being a willing early adopter. I used to install beta and RTM versions of windows back in the day all the time, because I was curious.

But since windows 10 everbody is forced to be an early adopter whether they like it or not. And I have to say I don't like it at all. I want my workhorse to be a stable dependable environment. Not wondering when an update will screw me over and brick it, or just loose me 2 days work with a forced reboot.
I don't know if I believe this, cuz it feels waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too soon for Win12. Win11 has barely been on the market. Even if Win12 is coming soon, after dealing with Win10 for years (since launch actually) and checking out Win11, I don't have high hopes for Win12. Windows OSes just keep getting worse and worse. I used Win7 past EoL and will probably do the same with Win10. Currently have no plans whatsoever to move to Win11.
I'm still using Windows 7 on some work computers, upgrading would mean loosing access to important tools, besides being a giant PITA.
Sounds like you installed Win11 Home. I went with Win11 Pro and didn't run into these issues.
I did mention Home twice. Last I checked the pro could be installed without internet and a microsoft accound and didn't try to sell me on o365 or gamespass either.

I've made my peace with a subscription service, as long as it's something where the proceeds continue to iterate, evolve and improve the product.

This subsciption thing keeps comming up, but why do they give away free upgrades for windows like they did with 10 and now 11 if they want more money.

This subscription thing to me at least looks like something they might implement to big companies who require tons of support, but not something for home users, they seem to care more about user data then selling copies of windows.

I don't know if I believe this, cuz it feels waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too soon for Win12.
It seems to be the way things are now. I know it's always been a short time span in the PC world where you have the top tier hardware and feel like you'll be content for a while then along comes the next batch of new hardware. It just seems a lot quicker now. I've been building for 30 years and the next release time frame seems to get shorter and shorter. Again this may just be just me.

Become a Patron!
Back