Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Concept eMuscle Car Is Faster than a Hellcat

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Tim Kuniskis (Dodge brand chief executive officer – Stellantis) unveiled the Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Concept BEV muscle car that is both loud and fast. Mr. Kuniskis said that "The...

Go to post

Not gonna lie that is an attractive AF car. And the interior looks pretty nice too.

Give me that interior look on a modern dodge charger with good MPG and I'd be all about it. Or a Hybrid that actually improves MPG. I won't be buying and don't need another HALO car.

1. This 2-door looks more like a Challenger. When was the last Charger coupe sold?

2. Adding fake engine sounds to an EV is dumb.

3. Instant torque is a wonderful thing.

1. This 2-door looks more like a Challenger. When was the last Charger coupe sold?

3. Instant torque is a wonderful thing.
This is more a throw back to early 70's Charger's. They were 2 door. I think they only made 4 door Chargers for 69 and 70, but they didn't sell. Went 2 door only in 71.

This is more a throw back to early 70's Charger's. They were 2 door. I think they only made 4 door Chargers for 69 and 70, but they didn't sell. Went 2 door only in 71.
IIRC the 4 door was a Coronet and the coupe was a Charger for a time in the 60s.

Those were some beautiful cars - peak MOPAR.

Agreed, but they are legally required to add some sort of sound to electric cars so that they are audible, to minimize pedestrian incidents.

Maybe they figured if they had to add a sound, might as well be an engine sound, rather than the static "whoosh" or "coil whine" type sounds others have used?

Agreed, but they are legally required to add some sort of sound to electric cars so that they are audible, to minimize pedestrian incidents.

Maybe they figured if they had to add a sound, might as well be an engine sound, rather than the static "whoosh" or "coil whine" type sounds others have used?
I always thought about using the sound of a Twin Ion Engine (TIE) from Star Wars.

Not really my style.

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I just don't like classic muscle cars, and by extension don't like any cars that have their designs inspired by the lines of classic muscle cars.

I do want an electric car, but I want an ordinary car.

• I don't want it to look like an efficiency hatch, like the Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf.
  • It doesn't need to have whiplash inducing acceleration. 0-60 in 5-6 seconds is fine.
  • It doesn't need to have self driving features. In fact, I'd prefer if it didn't.
  • I'd prefer less internet integration. Whatever they put in any car is not going to age well. I'd rather just have a double DIN head unit slot, I can replace with whatever works for me over time.
  • I'd prefer less "luxury" tech features. I like nice quality materials, but I don't need stupid **** like adjustable air suspension, or power operated trunks, or any other **** that is just going to break and cost a fortune to repair.
  • I don't want it to be an SUV or truck or even a crossover. If it has a higher center of gravity or ride height than a 1997 Ford Taurus, I'm out.
  • If I have to create an online account, or any of its features are subscription based, it is a guaranteed "will not buy".
  • Oh, and for crying out loud. Give me tactile buttons switches and knobs, at least for everything that is not the stereo. I'm starting to get serious "touch screen fatigue"

Just give me a car without gimmicks. An honest sedan or wagon, without connected features or perceived tech conveniences that in reality aren't very convenient. Once that doesn't have some form of outrageous styling that is virtue signaling "look at me, I care about the environment" or is pretending to be a race car.

Just an ordinary car...

...but electric.

Is that really too much to ask?

Jetsons or GTFO.

And, unless you're deaf, you can still hear the tires.

Sounds like the engine sounds in test drive 1 on a pc speaker.

Someone will LS swap it, anyway.

I'm glad they made it a two door also. The current car being a four door was not doing it any favors.

I now wonder what all the police departments are going to use. It won't be anything electric, I can assure you of that.

Which brings up another question. Why would Stellantis shoot themselves in the feet by essentially killing their bread'n'butter fleet vehicle?

I now wonder what all the police departments are going to use. It won't be anything electric, I can assure you of that.

Which brings up another question. Why would Stellantis shoot themselves in the feet by essentially killing their bread'n'butter fleet vehicle?
There are already police departments using electric vehicles…

There are already police departments using electric vehicles…
probably fine for around town, inside the city. Highway patrol, state police and sheriffs departments, no so much.

They'll probably continue producing the 4 door charger and slap the TT I6 in it for fleet/PD sales. Much they like still produce the 4th gen Ram 1500 Classic.

probably fine for around town, inside the city. Highway patrol, state police and sheriffs departments, no so much.

Well, I wonder how many miles they put on their cruisers in a day, especially considering that a lot of the time they are sitting on the side of the highway waiting to LIDAR some poor SOB.

I used to know some town cops who would jokingly refer to the Massachusetts State Police (who do the highway patrol duties here) as AAA with a badge :p

With modern 300+ mile range electric cars, I don't see how they couldn't handle that role most of the time. There would be some logistical challenges surrounding recharging, but these are not insurmountable. They would add expense though.

They'll probably continue producing the 4 door charger and slap the TT I6 in it for fleet/PD sales. Much they like still produce the 4th gen Ram 1500 Classic.

Maybe I missed that part, but I didn't hear that this car was replacing the gas version. I'd be surprised if the traditional version goes anywhere. That thing has been selling like crazy for them. They'd be fools to get rid of it.

And, unless you're deaf, you can still hear the tires.

At high speeds sure, but at lower speeds, especially in an environment where other competing noises (buses, trucks, construction, beeping crosswalk signals, etc.) it gets trickier to hear them.

My ex used to drive a 2007 Prius, and when it was in all electric mode in the city, you'd be amazed how often idiots would step out in front of the car without looking.

If you are paying attention to what you are doing and have half a brain you are probably fine either way, but just like with warning labels, they are seemingly there to prevent injury or death to the borderline retarded among us. Probably isn't doing us any evolutionary favors :p

Well, I wonder how many miles they put on their cruisers in a day, especially considering that a lot of the time they are sitting on the side of the highway waiting to LIDAR some poor SOB.

I used to know some town cops who would jokingly refer to the Massachusetts State Police (who do the highway patrol duties here) as AAA with a badge :p

With modern 300+ mile range electric cars, I don't see how they couldn't handle that role most of the time. There would be some logistical challenges surrounding recharging, but these are not insurmountable. They would add expense though.

Maybe I missed that part, but I didn't hear that this car was replacing the gas version. I'd be surprised if the traditional version goes anywhere. That thing has been selling like crazy for them. They'd be fools to get rid of it.
Charger and Challenger are discontinued after 2023 model year.

Become a Patron!
Back