Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Concept eMuscle Car Is Faster than a Hellcat

I now wonder what all the police departments are going to use. It won't be anything electric, I can assure you of that.

Which brings up another question. Why would Stellantis shoot themselves in the feet by essentially killing their bread'n'butter fleet vehicle?
Emissions credits -- they have been buying all their credits from Tesla in recent years.

Charger and Challenger are discontinued after 2023 model year.

Thanks I did not know that.

I wonder why. They have been fantastic sellers for them with a solid fan base. It doesn't seem to make much business sense.

They could be looking to improve CAFE numbers, but even if they get fined under CAFE, those fines are slaps on the wrist, and unlikely to offset the earnings from a successful product line...

I now wonder what all the police departments are going to use. It won't be anything electric, I can assure you of that.
If it's anything like the Mach E and the Ford Lightning I drove at my job, they wouldn't have any issues catching up to someone quick.

I wonder why. They have been fantastic sellers for them with a solid fan base. It doesn't seem to make much business sense.
Goverment pushing all car manufacturers to go green unfortunately. The true muscle car will probably be an afterthought in a few years. Will it be permanent? I don't believe so, but we'll see.

There will likely be some kind of post green muscle car market -there are still horses and buggies after all.

I’m all for the rapid transition to green - if nothing else it makes my gas cheaper as demand goes down.

If it's anything like the Mach E and the Ford Lightning I drove at my job, they wouldn't have any issues catching up to someone quick.
You might want to watch some the YT vids of Arkansas State Police chases. Chases that well exceed 100 MPH and go for 20-30 minutes. Even a long range Telsa at 100-150 mph might last 20 minutes in a chase. All that acceleration and high speed chew through an EV battery much like towing chews through the battery on the F150 lightening.

And then what? The car has to limp it back to a charger somewhere? That's it, car is done for the day, or at least the next hour or so. That's no bueno in law enforcement. Inefficient.

I read a story recently about one city that had rolled out Teslas for some of their cops — some loved them, most hated them. Charge time was specifically cited - they had to sit and eat donuts while the car just charged; they couldn’t go out and be someplace useful.

I’ll see if I can dig it up - was a few weeks ago. The city wasn’t going to purchase any more iirc.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I thought I'd add two cents to rectify potential misconceptions stated above:
2. Adding fake engine sounds to an EV is dumb.
and
Agreed, but they are legally required to add some sort of sound to electric cars so that they are audible, to minimize pedestrian incidents.

Zarathustra has the gist of why the sounds are necessary, but maybe not why ICU sounds specifically are preferred. The purpose for replicating ICU sounds is so that visually impaired people (including people who are blind) can maintain independence and mobility while being able to avoid recognizable hazards via auditory cues. People with visual impairments are trained to listen for approaching vehicles when deciding whether it is safe to cross a street. Bicycles are a potential threat and are difficult to detect by those with visual impairments because they're relatively silent, but they, along with EVs, are a small percentage of total vehicle hazards. And bicyclists are able to more nimbly avoid collision since they are lighter and travel at comparatively lower speeds than motor vehicles. EVs have greater mass and travel at higher speeds - they are not as capable at collision avoidance.

The implication that pedestrians who step in front of a moving vehicle are simply idiots is a grossly false assertion. Yes, some people may be careless, preoccupied, or otherwise willfully unaware, but there are others who do not have sufficient visual acuity (or auditory capability - but that's a different conversation) that the majority of the population takes for granted while independently navigating through or around potential hazards. Crossing the street is an extremely dangerous activity for a visually impaired person - especially when crossing in a high noise environment - and so to reduce risk of collision, when EVs are able to replicate familiar ICU sounds, they reduce the cognitive processing required for determining whether or when it is safe to cross.

If you're curious and are interested in conducting an insightful exercise, try the following with a friend:
  • go to a busy intersection in your area - one that is without built-in auditory crossing signals for the visually impaired
  • wear a blindfold - your friend should not wear a blindfold so they can be the control case and can help keep you safe
  • try to determine whether or when it is safe to cross the street
  • right or wrong, reflect on how difficult that decision would be without your friend present

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I thought I'd add two cents to rectify potential misconceptions stated above:

and

Zarathustra has the gist of why the sounds are necessary, but maybe not why ICU sounds specifically are preferred. The purpose for replicating ICU sounds is so that visually impaired people (including people who are blind) can maintain independence and mobility while being able to avoid recognizable hazards via auditory cues. People with visual impairments are trained to listen for approaching vehicles when deciding whether it is safe to cross a street. Bicycles are a potential threat and are difficult to detect by those with visual impairments because they're relatively silent, but they, along with EVs, are a small percentage of total vehicle hazards. And bicyclists are able to more nimbly avoid collision since they are lighter and travel at comparatively lower speeds than motor vehicles. EVs have greater mass and travel at higher speeds - they are not as capable at collision avoidance.

The implication that pedestrians who step in front of a moving vehicle are simply idiots is a grossly false assertion. Yes, some people may be careless, preoccupied, or otherwise willfully unaware, but there are others who do not have sufficient visual acuity (or auditory capability - but that's a different conversation) that the majority of the population takes for granted while independently navigating through or around potential hazards. Crossing the street is an extremely dangerous activity for a visually impaired person - especially when crossing in a high noise environment - and so to reduce risk of collision, when EVs are able to replicate familiar ICU sounds, they reduce the cognitive processing required for determining whether or when it is safe to cross.

If you're curious and are interested in conducting an insightful exercise, try the following with a friend:
  • go to a busy intersection in your area - one that is without built-in auditory crossing signals for the visually impaired
  • wear a blindfold - your friend should not wear a blindfold so they can be the control case and can help keep you safe
  • try to determine whether or when it is safe to cross the street
  • right or wrong, reflect on how difficult that decision would be without your friend present
That is an astoundingly awesome point I for whatever reason never thought of and it makes complete sense. Now I think any ev maker that doesn't do that are *******s.

Become a Patron!
Back