James Cameron Says Avatar: The Way of Water Needs to Be Third or Fourth Highest-Grossing Film Ever to Be Profitable: “Very F*cking” Expensive

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
James Cameron has revealed that Avatar: The Way of Water, the long overdue sequel to his 2009 blockbuster and box office champion, Avatar, needs to be the "third or fourth highest-grossing film in history" in order to be profitable.

See full article...

Cry me a friggin river you out of touch Hollywood (insert random expletive here). I'm fairly sure most people on the planet feel it's the most expensive time ever just to be alive. Btw what is the average adult movie ticket these days? How about trying to do that and even taking them to a restaurant? Suddenly that expensive GPU looks a lot more affordable.

His award-winning personality didn't exactly win me over. I lost count of the expletives. Charming. It's not like I was going to go see his very f*cking expensive movie anyway, but I don't think his attitude is going to lure families to the theater, and he needs their f*cking money.

How come he gets special swearing privileges? No fair.

It's funny how hollywood compares revenue 1:1 not mentioning that the same revenue is half the tickets sold compared to just a few years ago.

I wasn't going to watch it anyway, as I didn't watch the first one either. IDK why people went so crazy over it. Giraffes cross-bred with cats are just not my thing.

BTW, people who swear a lot usually have very little of value to say.

It's funny how hollywood compares revenue 1:1 not mentioning that the same revenue is half the tickets sold compared to just a few years ago.
I do see a lot of the lists adjusted for inflation. It does change the list quite a bit. But you are right, most of the time they don’t do this, because no one remembers when GWTW was out in theaters.

I am curious about the movie but will either watch it on streaming or buy on physical if it gets enough good reviews that I find credible.

I do see a lot of the lists adjusted for inflation. It does change the list quite a bit. But you are right, most of the time they don’t do this, because no one remembers when GWTW was out in theaters.

[/URL]
The consumer price index is not really a good metric as movie tickets got more expensive over the years than general inflation would've warranted. A movie ticket costs 4x times as much as it did in 2009 when avatar came out. While cumulative inflation is about 70% Meaning it should only cost 1.7x as much. So you can easily cut these modern "blockbusters" in half if you want to get actual attendance.

"Avatar, needs to be the "third or fourth highest-grossing film in history" in order to be profitable."

Guess it won't be then, sorry! :ROFLMAO:

The consumer price index is not really a good metric as movie tickets got more expensive over the years than general inflation would've warranted. A movie ticket costs 4x times as much as it did in 2009 when avatar came out. While cumulative inflation is about 70% Meaning it should only cost 1.7x as much. So you can easily cut these modern "blockbusters" in half if you want to get actual attendance.
Wouldn’t that already be factored in? I mean, the price of a ticket is irrelevant to how much revenue a movie makes: it would impact the number of movie goers.

You might get more movie goers at a lower ticket price, but you also are earning less per ticket … part of that math theaters do to figure how how to price it. Either way, the movie is going to make whatever it makes, if that’s fewer people at a higher price or more people at a lower price.

Wouldn’t that already be factored in? I mean, the price of a ticket is irrelevant to how much revenue a movie makes: it would impact the number of movie goers.

You might get more movie goers at a lower ticket price, but you also are earning less per ticket … part of that math theaters do to figure how how to price it. Either way, the movie is going to make whatever it makes, if that’s fewer people at a higher price or more people at a lower price.
As a viewer I don't care how much money a movie has made, I care about how many people were interested in it. You cannot say two movies are equally successful when one was seen by half the people.

As a viewer I don't care how much money a movie has made, I care about how many people were interested in it. You cannot say two movies are equally successful when one was seen by half the people.
Depends on what metric you are judging "successful" by

Could be awards won, could be popularity, could be money made, could be ... anything really.

If I'm a writer or producer, I probably care about awards won and popularity more so than how much money it makes (unless you are Michael Bay)

If I were an investor - I don't really care how many people watched it, I care about how much return it nets me on my investment.

Just depends on your perspective.

As a viewer - I don't care how many other people are interested in it, I only care if I'm interested in it.

I will sa
4x?! Where do you live that it went up that much in 13 years?

Average ticket price in 2009: $7.50
Average ticket price in 2021: $9.16

Not even a $4 increase. lol
Check the price of a coke and popcorn

Also - $9.16?! The last time I went to the theatre was … 8 years ago maybe? Tickets then were… $20something each. I have no idea what they are today, so I’ll concede maybe they haven’t went up that much, but unless there are a heaping ton of Dollar Cinemas out there bringing the price down, I can’t imagine seeing a recent release in the theater for anything close to $9.

Check the price of a coke and popcorn

Also - $9.16?! The last time I went to the theatre was … 8 years ago maybe? Tickets then were… $20something each. I have no idea what they are today, so I’ll concede maybe they haven’t went up that much, but unless there are a heaping ton of Dollar Cinemas out there bringing the price down, I can’t imagine seeing a recent release in the theater for anything close to $9.

Well you don't HAVE to buy coke or popcorn to see a movie. It also isn't part of a movies "revenue" which is what is being compared here.

Ticket prices have gone up and most larger cities the prices are far above the average.

At my local theater, an AMC 8 screen, stadium seating the cost of a ticket is $9.99 before tax. I live in a decently sized city though (over 100k people) with two larger cities on either side that has over 250k population each. Personally I don't buy anything at the concession. That's just a trip to the bathroom while watching a movie I can't pause.

Less people do go to the movies now than ever before and that trend continues to drop. They keep rising prices and even less people go as it happens. I think I read something somewhere that over 100 million people went to watch Titanic back then while only 60 million people watched the new Top Gun movie, yet the Top Gun movie grossed more simply because the ticket prices are higher.

However, they aren't 4x higher.

The prices at the concession probably are 4x higher, if not more. Those prices keep going up year after year it seems. Which is ironic, because I'm pretty sure popcorn was introduced to movie theaters as a cheap snack during the great depression. It's not cheap anymore.

Yea hell I remember paying 4.25 for a movie ticket. Last movie I went to it was easily 14 dollars a ticket. Then if you add in the rest of the 'experience' it shot way higher easily tripling the cost per person. Not worth it either other than the shared experience.

His award-winning personality didn't exactly win me over. I lost count of the expletives. Charming. It's not like I was going to go see his very f*cking expensive movie anyway, but I don't think his attitude is going to lure families to the theater, and he needs their f*cking money.

How come he gets special swearing privileges? No fair.
I've never been a fan of his since he seems overly full of himself, and keeps hanging his hat on one movie which was average at best.

Become a Patron!
Back