James Cameron Says Avatar: The Way of Water Needs to Be Third or Fourth Highest-Grossing Film Ever to Be Profitable: “Very F*cking” Expensive

I've never been a fan of his since he seems overly full of himself, and keeps hanging his hat on one movie which was average at best.

The guy has a list of really good movies though. Titanic, Terminator, Alien, Avatar. Pretty sure all of those movies were blockbusters when they debuted.

The guy has a list of really good movies though. Titanic, Terminator, Alien, Avatar. Pretty sure all of those movies were blockbusters when they debuted.
Not to mention advanced the way movies were made considerably from a technology perspective. Literally spearheaded new cinematography technologies. But yea let's not let him think he's good. Thst would make others see him as elitist... right?

None of those are great movies to me regardless if they were Blockbusters or not. His attitude towards everything and everyone is my opinion of him and his movies.

Eastern Europe. 2009: 680HUF 2022: 2400HUF And this is not even the most smancy fancy imax tickets.
Ouch. Did the theaters at least improve in quality during that stretch or were you sitting on bridge chairs next to the projector?

That would be Aliens :p, still looking at his filmography on wikipedia he did not make that many movies, only ones I like are the Terminator ones, Aliens and True lies which is still 50% of them so not terrible.

Avatar was pretty mediocre and I have little interest to see moe of them, especially after all this time. Maybe he can do a remaster of the first one to start things of again for a new generation as the previous one might have outgrown it.

Eastern Europe. 2009: 680HUF 2022: 2400HUF And this is not even the most smancy fancy imax tickets.

HUF has also slid 50% against usd/eur over the past 10 years... I'd gladly pay 2400 HUF for movie tickets!

HUF has also slid 50% against usd/eur over the past 10 years...
The question was where did it increasy by 4x, the exchange rate in this case is not relevant, only inflation. The ticket prices still went up 250% when adjusted for inflation.
I'd gladly pay 2400 HUF for movie tickets!
Not if you were also living off of the local median salary. Which is about 280.000 / month. (700USD at the current rate)

“ ‘I think this movie is going to make all the ****ing money. And when it does, it’s going to be too late for you to love the film. The time for you to love he movie is today. So I’m not asking you to say something that you don’t feel, but just know that I will always know that no matter how complimentary you are about the movie in the future when it makes all the money’

Good luck with that, it just might be unobtanium. Then again, hollywood does have those magical accountants.

Oh wait, he was also one of the writers for Terminator Dark Fate. He just might have gone round the bend completely with his Dances with Blue Aliens part Deux.

He was referring to the first Avatar movie in that quote.

I mean, I spent $10 for a matinee ticket to see Maverick at local Cinemark. 2d, not imax.

The story I read said it was the same for the first one. Something like $2B of the total revenue was international while the US (domestic) was significantly less. So it seems Avatar is more popular in the rest of the world.
I ripped this from Wikipedia, but linked to the original source:

Including the revenue from a re-release of Avatar featuring extended footage, Avatar grossed $785,221,649 in the U.S. and Canada, and $2,137,696,265 in other countries for a worldwide total of $2,922,917,914.

That figure also includes revenue from all the various theatrical releases, the IMAX and 3D versions, etc. - The article does say the theatrical revenue numbers were pumped significantly because of more expensive IMAX/3D ticket sales boosted the revenue a good bit, but doesn't break down exactly how much.

The story I read said it was the same for the first one. Something like $2B of the total revenue was international while the US (domestic) was significantly less. So it seems Avatar is more popular in the rest of the world.
that's a strange conclusion, there are some 6 billion people and only what? 370 million people in the USA and Canada combined for almost 1/3 of the revenue, that's proportionally a lot more.

that's a strange conclusion, there are some 6 billion people and only what? 370 million people in the USA and Canada combined for almost 1/3 of the revenue, that's proportionally a lot more.
Yeah it’s kind of strange that we view a movies success by revenue and not by awards or views - but I guess that’s the only capitalistic way of doing it. Not necessarily the best, but since it’s capitalism that determines what movies get made and distributed on a wide scale, it is what it is.

Just goes to show some people the the US and Canada have a bit more money to throw around than the rest of the world - not sure that means much about how good a movie is.

Yeah it’s kind of strange that we view a movies success by revenue and not by awards or views - but I guess that’s the only capitalistic way of doing it. Not necessarily the best, but since it’s capitalism that determines what movies get made and distributed on a wide scale, it is what it is.

Just goes to show some people the the US and Canada have a bit more money to throw around than the rest of the world - not sure that means much about how good a movie is.

My problem with awards is there are so many, some movies have won more awards then there are people that have seen it.

Become a Patron!
Back