Alien: Romulus Teaser Trailer Delivers Blood, Dread, and Plenty of Facehuggers

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
20th Century Studios has released the first teaser for Alien: Romulus, a new installment of the sci-fi franchise pioneered by Ridley Scott's 1979 classic that is said to bring the series "back to its roots."

See full article...

Well the definitely nailed the disturbing sexual aspects of the aliens that's for sure. I wonder if that will make the movie or just stay in the trailer.

Well the definitely nailed the disturbing sexual aspects of the aliens that's for sure. I wonder if that will make the movie or just stay in the trailer.
Sexual aspect? What movie were you watching?

All I can see in the trailer is that CGI environments will never look as good as a real set. Plus the same story regurgitated for the nth time. Make something new already. I can give pointers holllywoooooooo.

I admit that I watched this muted while the wife was watching one of her shows and visually I didn't mind it but neither did I see anything remotely original either. I get the nostalgic feeling and like it, also got the Isolation vibe and liked that, but I'm done with this part of the story. I want friggin space marines and predators d***it!

I think anyone who's never seen the 1st one will enjoy this, or those who stopped watching after the 2nd or 3rd and feel that itch but beyond that I doubt the hardcore fans who've stuck with all of the films are lining up to say thanks for another rehash. As many issues as I have with Prometheus and Covenant they at least were moving the story forward. I expect this thing will drop a could of tidbits to do that but that's as much as I'd expect from it.

I want friggin space marines and predators d***it!
Yeah!!!

those who stopped watching after the 2nd or 3rd
Yeah I haven't seen an Alien movie after the 3rd one. I have seen all the AvP movies though.

I doubt the hardcore fans who've stuck with all of the films are lining up to say thanks for another rehash
I have one friend who is super-into the series, and he said: "I remain skeptical... the teaser feels a bit 'safe' to me. Also, I've heard the cast of characters are teenagers, which legit makes me uneasy. But I am not outright considering it to be dead on arrival either. I'll probably see it in theaters regardless of reviews or such."

Which is not cool, cuz if the movie sucks and he sees it in theaters anyways, he gives them money for it.

This same friend also posted:
"
The thoughts also include some interview information that I didn't know before. While I knew Ridley Scott saw and praised the movie already, apparently James Cameron has as well, and the two gave the director notes that were different from each other. It's also squarely a movie intended to feel like something between Alien and Aliens at least aesthetically, which makes sense given it's supposed to take place 20 years after Alien, and that the setting is part 'old tech' (Alien) and 'brand new tech' (invoking some of Aliens). Even if this ends up being a 'safe' movie, it's sounding like it'll be a well-made one.

Mind you, I don't think Cameron giving it praise is a good thing on its own -- he's full deep into Avatar territory these days. But him alongside Ridley Scott, and other aspects, seem to suggest promising things. I actually like all the Alien movies in some way or another (though Resurrection is objectively the worse)."

I didn't watch the video he posted.

On the Cameron side of things, Aliens 4K is supposedly waiting in my mailbox and looking forward to watching. I read a review on it last night and there's some criticism over NR/lack of grain but I'm actually looking forward to a cleaner version as long as its not too cleaned up. I've got the last BD boxset from around 10 years ago and that version is pretty bad with all of its grain and noise. The Abyss is supposed to be here by Sunday but only quasi excited about that other than finally getting to see the directors cut in 4K vs the community VHS rip I have.

Aliens 4K
Had to go put that one in the cart... 'Alien' in UHD was pretty good.

I read a review on it last night and there's some criticism over NR/lack of grain but I'm actually looking forward to a cleaner version as long as its not too cleaned up.
Just the right amount of grain works for cinematography. So much so that cameras have advanced to eliminate noise as much as possible, only for post-process tools to introduce advanced grain addition algorithms in the backend.

Finished watching The Abyss and Aliens over the weekend. The Abyss, probably had a bit too much NR but still enjoyed it. I thought Aliens was close to perfect. On a side note, I read that Cameron paid out of pocket to have these, and True Lies, done. I'm happy with these and consider them the definitive versions now.

Just the right amount of grain works for cinematography.
I totally agree. I think there are too many folks out there that equate a greater amount to some kind of craftmanship when in reality the shots that flooded with it are usually long-distance close-ups which to me look like crap and usually take away from the moment they're in.

Yep, and when it's too much the streaming (Vudu etc.) only gets worse after further compression becomes involved. I've got a bunch of 4K stuff from film that's come out in recent years which included digital codes and can't even use because they look so awful. Oh, well.

Just wondering if Ridley S. is still cursing this IP or at least laughing all the way to the bank now that he's not actually making the film. I remember reading an interview back around when Gladiator came out and he explained the premise of these is basically dragons hunting, being hunted, and killing people. I also very clearly remember him saying that he didn't want to make anymore d**n dragon movies and that was before Prometheus and Covenant.

While not film-related, I've never cared for film grain in video games either. I always turn that sh1t off as soon as I possibly can.
Film grain was a flaw in the technology, adding it digitally is absolutely asinine. Just as fake DOF (Snyder) and lens flare (Jar-jar) are.
The only thing I hate more are color filters, that make the entire movie look like brown sludge or blue. Cut that **** out already, why can't we have natural colors with normal saturation levels like we had up till the 80s?

While not film-related, I've never cared for film grain in video games either. I always turn that sh1t off as soon as I possibly can.
Yep, post-processing junk is something that annoys the crap out of me. It's even worse that 99% of games seem to launch with it on by default so the first thing I do after a first launch is to literally go turn all that crap off. Even if it's a minor performance hit I still consider it a waste of GPU resources as well.

brown sludge or blue
. . .just to add grey or green. I remember after The Matrix movies how suddenly everything had these ridiculously dark grey filters, so much so that even now OLED and HDR can't always show the lost details. There were also some weird dark green filters that made even less sense. As much as I truly love HDR/DV I'm constantly amazed at how much more I enjoy watching a lot of things from before the 90s. I have seen some exceptions but it still annoys me to no end.

Become a Patron!
Back