“Digital Decay”: 38% of Websites That Existed in 2013 Are No Longer Accessible, New Research Finds

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The internet remains massive in scope, but a good portion of it is steadily disappearing, according to new research shared by the Pew Research Center this month that discusses how 38% of webpages that existed in 2013 are no longer accessible in the current year.

See full article...

Doesn't mean much at all. Well ' the web' is also fragmented , with apps , social media and such being in many ways part of, yet not. Not sure im making any sense.

Businesses start and close all the time and usually they have websites, so that alone is a large contributor to this "decay"

well my provider deleted all user webpages you used to get when signing up with them earlier this year so there is that. They claim there are enough free services around to replace theirs, in the meantime they do keep raising prices though.

well my provider deleted all user webpages you used to get when signing up with them earlier this year so there is that. They claim there are enough free services around to replace theirs, in the meantime they do keep raising prices though.
That reminds me of geocities. When I first encountered the internet it seemed like half of all the web pages were on geocities.

Didn't read the clickbait article.

Although I am sure there are >38% more web sites on the web now than in 2013.

Just a quick Google Search shows this.

1716770214719.png

Yeah, the Internet is dying. Nothing after 2018.

Become a Patron!
Back