“Many” Studios Are Asking Microsoft to Drop Mandatory Xbox Series S Compatibility, Developer Claims

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
A good number of game studios aren't happy with the Xbox Series S, according to new allegations made by Ian Maclure, a VFX artist for Bossa (I Am Fish) who took to Twitter this morning in response to a debate stirred by games journalist Jeff Gerstmann and claimed that "many" have been asking Microsoft to drop its rule that mandates game compatibility for its weaker Xbox console.

See full article...

I always found this series S to be a bad idea, it's cool for indie games and such, but it's too weak for current gen AAA games, and if there is going to be a mid gen refresh like last gen, this is going to make it even worse.

One of the advantages of consoles was always that it had fixed hardware that made it easier to optimse for and that is gone now, it's also not a great seller as it has almost always been relatively easy to obtain while the series X and PS5's are still almost always out of stock.

What I'm trippin' on, though, is that many of these same lame whining devs are behind such titles that has super flopped before the Series S (Arkham Knight, etc.) buuuuut... they have no problem catering to the Nintendo Switch unit?! Wt...!

bed-time.gif

I always found this series S to be a bad idea, it's cool for indie games and such, but it's too weak for current gen AAA games, and if there is going to be a mid gen refresh like last gen, this is going to make it even worse.

One of the advantages of consoles was always that it had fixed hardware that made it easier to optimse for and that is gone now, it's also not a great seller as it has almost always been relatively easy to obtain while the series X and PS5's are still almost always out of stock.
I agree. I can almost get behind the way Sony did the PS4 Pro -- it was a boosted hardware spec that came after some time. But even that created some friction.

Having two different hardware levels out of the gate though? Horrible idea. At least with the PS5 versions they have the same performance level, so you don't need a different version of the game.

I can almost see Microsoft's thinking though -- PC developers have to cater to different performance levels just as a matter of course, and you have mostly the same APIs on the Xbox, so if you make your game PC first it should port over to all the Xboxen with no issues...

... But console developers are used to optimizing to very specific hardware, whereas PC developers can brute force something and just say "Oh, well you need better hardware"

I guess two sides to every coin.

Wouldn't reducing resolution be enough? Is that age old settings in PCs really a feat of complex technology we are used to but its truly complex stuff? I mean if theres all that whining about, perhaps it is a complex issue, just that is normal for PCs.

PC developers have to cater to different performance levels just as a matter of course
Console game developers used to haaaate that about PC, they loved the fact that consoles were single hardware configurations. That all changed during 8th-gen with XB1X and PS4 Pro (and before that, to a lesser extent when Nintendo made the DSi and New 3DS refreshes). Now console devs have to design for different hardware setups too.

Game development is often limited by the lowest common denominator. It's already bad enough that modern-day devs do things the opposite way they should, by coding for consoles first then trying to port to PCs (rather than designing the game to truly use PC hardware and then porting down to consoles, like in the older days). Then during generation switches, cross-gen games are held back by the previous gen consoles. Now 9th-gen consoles themselves are being held back by the XBSS (which while having newer hardware and better CPU and GPU architecture than 8th-gen's XB1X is still technically less powerful than that system). It means that as a cross-platform developer, you no longer target proper 9th-gen systems, you have to target the lower XBSS too, and that's annoying. Towards the end of the generation the XBSS is gonna end up being more painful for devs than base PS4 and especially base XB1 were last gen.

Having two different hardware levels out of the gate though? Horrible idea. At least with the PS5 versions they have the same performance level, so you don't need a different version of the game.
Yupz.

buuuuut... they have no problem catering to the Nintendo Switch unit?! Wt...!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA that is a very good point. Although it's impressive what some devs have been able to do to get 8th-gen games running on Switch, like the Doom 2016 port by Panic Button. Not even remotely the way you wanna play the game, but as a programming exercise it is nothing short of astonishing and impressive.

Wouldn't reducing resolution be enough? Is that age old settings in PCs really a feat of complex technology we are used to but its truly complex stuff? I mean if theres all that whining about, perhaps it is a complex issue, just that is normal for PCs.
If you look at the ratio of gpu size in S & X, then anything that runs at 4K in X should run comfortably in 1080p in S
But some PC ports target high performance 1800p for X (& poorly optimized 4K for X)

Some games are multiplayer games & Microsoft doesn't allow 2 different networks for X & S gamers. They have to be interplayable. This could be another issue

Tell that to cdpr with what happened with cp2077.
What's funny is that they focused on PC first for Witcher 2 and 3 (although 3 to a lesser extent, that was after all a shared launch day for all platforms), so I thought they were gonna do it again with CP2077. Apparently not. The PS4 and XB1 versions of CP2077 are also a perfect example of what happens when devs try to focus on last-gen as well as current-gen. Those versions of the game should have never happened.

Last edited:
You would think it'll be easier to make the best possible version of a game on the best hardware you can use. Then when porting it to lesser hardware, start taking out things that aren't that important or lowing the quality of things not that important until it works at a desired performance level on that hardware.

These guys make it out like they're making two identical games for different hardware.

PC versions of games have settings the user can easily manipulate to get the desired performance they want and sacrificing what they don't want. How is that any different than last gen and current gen consoles? Just disable the options for the higher settings on the lesser consoles. Boom. Done.

You would think it'll be easier to make the best possible version of a game on the best hardware you can use. Then when porting it to lesser hardware, start taking out things that aren't that important or lowing the quality of things not that important until it works at a desired performance level on that hardware.

These guys make it out like they're making two identical games for different hardware.

PC versions of games have settings the user can easily manipulate to get the desired performance they want and sacrificing what they don't want. How is that any different than last gen and current gen consoles? Just disable the options for the higher settings on the lesser consoles. Boom. Done.
Thats the logical reasonable explanation... Unless someone explains it really ain't that simple, I would guess they are crying about this because they blow the budget on Hollywood actors, parties and promotional activities, then left overs for the game development, then the leftovers of the leftovers go to quality testing. QA testing money is deeply scrutinized, because you got to scrutinize and cut something somewhere, so management can have a job, hence complaints about two xboxes meaning double QA for 1 gen of console. In reality the series S is probably the more widespread console of the 2, I know its the one always available to purchase, i actually havent seen a series x in the wild.

With recent generation consoles being so close to actual PC hardware it seems it would make sense to make it on PC first then port it to consoles. With the exception of Nintendo devices which I think still use ARM?

I think you are oversimplifying things a bit. If you have fixed hardware you only need one version of an asset as it runs the same on all machines, if you make a game for a PC you need different versions of a lot of the assets so they can be used depending on the graphical settings the user chooses.

Maybe for some games it would be as easy as lowering some settings to make it run just fine, but for others I can imagine it would be like making 2 different versions of the same game if you want them to perform decently and look and play similarly.

Also it seems that (for some games anyways) some of the issues come from the multiplayer aspect and keeping those versions consistent.

I think you are oversimplifying things a bit. If you have fixed hardware you only need one version of an asset as it runs the same on all machines, if you make a game for a PC you need different versions of a lot of the assets so they can be used depending on the graphical settings the user chooses.

Maybe for some games it would be as easy as lowering some settings to make it run just fine, but for others I can imagine it would be like making 2 different versions of the same game if you want them to perform decently and look and play similarly.

Also it seems that (for some games anyways) some of the issues come from the multiplayer aspect and keeping those versions consistent.
What I'm saying here is that asset for the "lower" setting is there. Just remove the actual asset for the higher setting, not just removing the menu setting.

What I'm saying here is that asset for the "lower" setting is there. Just remove the actual asset for the higher setting, not just removing the menu setting.
No matter how you look at it - it’s still more “work” than supporting one static hardware platform. Just haggling over how much.

No matter how you look at it - it’s still more “work” than supporting one static hardware platform. Just haggling over how much.

Him: Would you have sex with me for a dollar?
Her: Absolutely not!
Him: Would you have sex with me for a million dollars?
Her: Maybe ...
Him: So you're willing to have sex with me, and we're just haggling over how much.

I've never seen the porting overhead quantified in any meaningful form (time, money, etc.), but it's an interesting question.

It's inevitable that console manufacturers are going to release variants of their base models (it's easy to predict the past). I only wish that Sony didn't wait until mid-cycle to release their Pro models — not because it doesn't make sense (I'm not sure what the rationale is), but because I'm actually interested in buying one.

not because it doesn't make sense (I'm not sure what the rationale is)
Pushing interest in the generation of console out further.

We had this unprecedented time line with the 7th Gen (PS3/XB360) where they lasted for nearly a decade. But that was the exception, not the rule. A typical generation is 3-5 years. But if you can do a hardware refresh in the middle, you can extend that out a bit. 8th Gen (PS4) saw 7 years, with the Pro releasing smack in the middle of that.

The major benefit of extended a generation -- you get the same software APIs, QA processes, support channels, and you get the benefit of mature logistics channels and manufacturing -- all of those pesky overhead costs that are hard to quantify before you jump in the deep end. Gearing up for a new generational release is difficult, but if the sales on your existing generation are dead, you have no other choice.

A new generation does give the potential for marketing, and it's one of the only ways to drive repeat sales (people who already own a console). But hey, so does a mid-generational refresh, without a lot of that extra overhead!

Same reason AMD doesn't have the 7800X3D available right now --- they certainly could, but they can wait a bit, get all those people who are itching to upgrade now to upgrade now, and then sell them another chip later on when they go to upgrade again. They get the benefit of being first to market with the latest generation, and with the mid-generation refresh get a chance to react and counter to anything the competition may have done while also garnering additional sales from upgraders.

Pushing interest in the generation of console out further.

We had this unprecedented time line with the 7th Gen (PS3/XB360) where they lasted for nearly a decade. But that was the exception, not the rule. A typical generation is 3-5 years.
It's not clear to me what exactly defines the length of a generation, but new PlayStation base models have been released at 6- or 7-year intervals going all the way back to the original model, unless the original is given special treatment because of its delayed release outside of Japan.

PlayStation release dates:
  1. PS (Original): 1994 (Japan)
  2. PS2: 2000
  3. PS3: 2006
  4. PS4: 2013
  5. PS5: 2020
PlayStation release dates in North America:
  1. PS (Original): September 9, 1995
  2. PS2: October 26, 2000
  3. PS3: November 17, 2006
  4. PS4: November 15, 2013
  5. PS5: November 12, 2020
(Note that I'm not suggesting an optimal generation length here.)
But if you can do a hardware refresh in the middle, you can extend that out a bit. 8th Gen (PS4) saw 7 years, with the Pro releasing smack in the middle of that.
Co-releasing the Pro with the base model at launch would seem odd, though so would releasing it too close to the next generation (speaking as a consumer, and not as SIE marketing). It seems somewhat questionable to release one at all, for reasons related to the existence of this thread.
A new generation does give the potential for marketing, and it's one of the only ways to drive repeat sales (people who already own a console). But hey, so does a mid-generational refresh, without a lot of that extra overhead!
I would think that a hardware refresh would appeal to those who don't already own a console. Otherwise, it means dumping several hundred dollars into e-waste unless the buyer has a use for a second console, or is optimistic about the used hardware/console market and sufficiently motivated to deal with it. Then again, consumer behavior is seldom rational.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything in your post — just adding a couple thoughts after giving further consideration to the PS5.

It's too bad the best aspects of consoles and PCs can't be extracted and merged into one.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back