12VHPWR Connector Will Reportedly Be Replaced by a 12V-2×6 Connector according to an Upcoming PCI-SIG CEM 5.1 Specifications Update

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
According to a new report on the upcoming CEM 5.1 specification update, the now infamous 12VHPWR connector will reportedly be retired. To be clearer, while the 12VHPWR connector may continue to exist for other applications it could be getting updated on the PC front to what is presently being called a 12V-2x6 connector. Now before anyone starts jumping for joy and planning their next GPU upgrade after sitting on the sidelines while the current drama of the 12VHPWR connector unfolds, folks should pay close attention to the proposed improvements to better understand what could be forthcoming.

See full article...

Looks the same, just with the sense pins set further back within the plug. Seems like it's the simplest way to make sure people are plugging it in all the way.
I will say this is needed... I'm surprised I don't see two areas for retention clips either.

I will say this is needed... I'm surprised I don't see two areas for retention clips either.
It appears to have both top and bottom opposed clips

02b-Side-Scheme-New.jpg

It appears to have both top and bottom opposed clips

02b-Side-Scheme-New.jpg
Good catch I missed it clearly! That is a marked improvement as well. Another reason to look to the 5 or 8 series video cards. :) (5 for nviida, 8 for amd, or heck if intel comes along swinging theirs too.)

Good catch I missed it clearly! That is a marked improvement as well. Another reason to look to the 5 or 8 series video cards. :) (5 for nviida, 8 for amd, or heck if intel comes along swinging theirs too.)
Well... the old style had the same thing - although the bottom clip was a bit more pronounced so I don't know that it would catch as well - kinda like how having a wider speed bump makes for less of a bump than a narrower one.

Other than the sensing pins getting pulled back a bit, and that bottom clip being a bit redesigned, I don't see any other real changed. I thought the sensing pins were "optional" - if the PSU will not send power with them disengaged then that could help - but if they are just optionally used or ignored, this will be no improvement at all. I do see the spec calls for them to be used and for the PSU to not send power if they are disengaged - we will see in testing how it operates I suppose.

I mostly agree with Igor's assessment of the issue as well - these are welcome improvements, but we shouldn't have ever been in this situation to begin with, and blaming "user error" rather than poor engineering was just a cop out.

Become a Patron!
Back